Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Is cracking your knuckles bad for you?

Posted Jan 8, '13 at 1:57am

fireangle

fireangle

182 posts

I crack my knuckles alot and I pop my feet just as much. I use to be addicted to cracking my knuckles all the time but I don't a much anymore. I just crack them when ever the feel a in need of popping. I choose to crack my feet when I'm laying in bed trying to fall asleep because it's harder to do when you are wearing shoes for s ome reason. Use to be able to crack my jaw but I can't on command anymore.

Posted Jan 8, '13 at 7:43pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

7 out of 10 of my fingers are double jointed and I've never had any problems from cracking my knuckles, which I've been doing since I was around 8 years old.

Are your thumbs double or triple jointed? Any fingers triple jointed?

Posted Jan 8, '13 at 7:49pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

Are your thumbs double or triple jointed? Any fingers triple jointed?

No, but I don't see any reason why that would matter. Either you did something seriously wrong, or there was an underlying problem to begin with.

Posted Jan 8, '13 at 9:46pm

Strop

Strop

11,089 posts

There is no evidence in the literature that consistently points to "cracking joints" being a cause of degenerative joint disease of any kind. In fact, the hypothesis that the sound came from rapidly generated bubbles of CO2 gas is still under scrutiny.

However cracking joints is a by-product of joint manipulation, and sometimes joint manipulation can exacerbate existing joint conditions. For example the major concern with chiropractic manipulation of the spine for lower back pain is that while it provides good short-term symptomatic relief, standard medical school of thought warns against it as it seems to worsen osteophyte development in the long term.

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 10:44pm

sasukemystery

sasukemystery

1,460 posts

I don't think you should do it too much but maybe once or twice a day is good, I used to do it for about a year or two but then I stopped just in case I would damage my fingers.

Posted Jan 12, '13 at 12:58am

sourwhatup2

sourwhatup2

3,794 posts

Well the AG doctor has confirmed it. We're done here.. xD

And like I said it only cause long term effects such a loss in grip.. But it's not even that much either way.

Reply to Is cracking your knuckles bad for you?

You must be logged in to post a reply!