ForumsThe TavernIs cracking your knuckles bad for you?

35 8971
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I crack my knuckles quite often, mainly because they feel like they need to be cracked, I am sure you know the feeling. The way I normally crack my knuckles is just locking my fingers and stretching my arms, though I can often just move my fingers back without my other hand to crack them. Is this bad for me? I've looked at a couple pages (1) but I want you fellow smart people and knuckle crackers' opinions.

(I also roll my toes over and crack them, is this bad?)

• 35 Replies
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I have looked this up a few times. Apparently it's not exactly a bad thing, it's just gas bubbles that burst in the joints. Though the only real bad thing it can do is cause you to lose some grip, but that's about it.

GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

I always crack my knees,and nothing happens.Our joints are amazingly flexible.We don't need the Big balls from Total Wipeout to stay flexible!

Cranium80
Cranium80
489 posts
Shepherd

Funny, the first thing I did when I read your comment, Cranium, was crack my neck. Ah, the power of unintentional suggestion :P

Who said it was unintentional? (j/k) :-p
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Though the only real bad thing it can do is cause you to lose some grip, but that's about it.

You can strengthen your finger strength and grip by working the muscles, perhaps by squeezing a stress ball.
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

to the people who say it gives you arthiritis: no, just no.

there was a study, and the people who cracked their knuckles had less arthiritis than the people who didnt crack their knuckles. amazing, huh.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

there was a study, and the people who cracked their knuckles had less arthiritis than the people who didnt crack their knuckles. amazing, huh.

Pff, studies...

You can strengthen your finger strength and grip by working the muscles, perhaps by squeezing a stress ball.

Just what I thought, nothing a weeny bit of training can fix.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

can

*can't
GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

Well,so we came to an answer that you can crack your knuckles.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I've been cracking knuckles since I learned how to (which was kinda late), I thing it does no damage whatsoever. Even if it did, very minimal damage.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

My thumbs are triple jointed and cracking generally leads to severe inflammation and lots of pain. My left thumb is about twice the size of the average person's simply because of the swelling and excess dead skin. I don't suggest doing it if you have triple or even double jointed fingers.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I don't suggest doing it if you have triple or even double jointed fingers.

7 out of 10 of my fingers are double jointed and I've never had any problems from cracking my knuckles, which I've been doing since I was around 8 years old.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Although I suppose if you're too forceful you could damage something...but generally you stop when there's pain.

*grunting and strenuous breathing while pulling on finger...* POP!! AAAAHHHHH.... Phew, that feels better.

like one time i was lenning on a chair and my cracked and it hurt

You cracked what?
xxBoogeymaNxx
xxBoogeymaNxx
83 posts
Nomad

I'm assuming he probably cracked his back since he was leaning in a chair.

JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
171 posts
Nomad

A lot of people tell me that the only thing that happens if you crack your knuckles is they just get bigger.I'm not sure if its true though but my brother cracks his knuckles all the time and his knuckles are huge.Once in awhile I will crack my knuckles, but I don't do it as much as I used to.

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I crack my knuckles alot and I pop my feet just as much. I use to be addicted to cracking my knuckles all the time but I don't a much anymore. I just crack them when ever the feel a in need of popping. I choose to crack my feet when I'm laying in bed trying to fall asleep because it's harder to do when you are wearing shoes for s ome reason. Use to be able to crack my jaw but I can't on command anymore.

Showing 16-30 of 35