Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Crossfit

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 5:43pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,757 posts

So..not sure if there are many people that know about it..but this thread is for all you crossfitters out there! (or just those interested)

What is crossfit?
Crossfit is a strength and conditioning workout focusing on a constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement. Workouts are typically shortâ"20 minutes or lessâ"and intense, demanding all-out physical exertion. They combine movements such as sprinting, rowing, jumping rope, climbing rope, flipping tires, weightlifting, carrying heavy objects, and many bodyweight exercises

CrossFit is the application of the fundamentals of Newtonian mechanics to human movement

In other words...Crossfit's purpose is to give you a high intensity workout with the basis of mechanics that are natural and beneficial for the human body and its application in everyday life (this is most clearly shown in pulling exercises and keeping pullups, for example)

If you have any questions about Crossfit, feel free to ask, and either DWF or I will be more than happy to answer them. More will be placed on here about Crossfit after I get back from work

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 5:53pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

CrossFit is the application of the fundamentals of Newtonian mechanics to human movement

Err...I'm pretty sure any type of weight lifting or power training involves some application of Newtonian mechanics.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Crossfit (I think there are better ways and regimens to achieve the goals that most Crossfitters have), but I do respect the strong sense of community that Crossfit has created among fitness enthusiasts. And since it continues to grow, it's nice to see average people get in shape. It's also cool that they promote plyometric and Olympic weightlifting exercises, ones that used to be obscure to people other than Olympians and athletes.

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 6:18pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Crossfit age=1">Oh, you mean this stuff.

Hopefully I didn't mess any of those links up. Joking aside, I don't see the purpose of most of the crossfit stuff I've seen. Doing Olympic lifts for insanely high amount of reps, kipping pullups, weird and extremely dangerous looking exercises (links).

High reps and speed work is understandable, but you have to be smart about it. I don't see how jerking the weight around and using tons of body momentum is going to help you much with strength, endurance, or muscle gains.

Kipping pullups... why? What is all that swinging going to accomplish? I wouldn't even consider those pullups.

I think there are better ways and regimens to achieve the goals that most Crossfitters have

+1

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 6:27pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

Doing Olympic lifts for insanely high amount of reps, kipping pullups, weird and extremely dangerous looking exercises (links).

I don't really care for kipping pullups, but I would like evidence of Crossfit promoting Olympic lifts for high reps. And most of the exercises are, admittedly, features of powerlifting and athletic programs.

Crossfit does not consist of a bunch of jerking around and "dangerous" exercises; it is relatively safe if done correctly, but there will always be risks as with any weightlifting program. Even though I'm not a Crossfitter, I hate how people have these preconceived notions about it just because they see a few kipping pullups and injury videos. It has produced a good deal of women who lift just as much as you at more than half your body weight, and that is **** respectable.

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 6:55pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

It's from what I've seen on YouTube when searching crossfit. A bunch of people doing overhead press for 20+ reps with very light weight and horrible form.

Links to women lifting that much weight, please. The most impressive thing I've seen was them front squatting double-triple their body weight, nothing else has caught my eye.

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 6:58pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

And yes, I realise not all crossfitters do the same as the people I've seen, but it's still ridiculous.

Also, when I said dangerous, I didn't mean your regular lifts. I saw people tossing the bar into the air and catching it while doing overhead press, and another where two people would throw the bar at each other and squat.

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 7:19pm

xxBoogeymaNxx

xxBoogeymaNxx

85 posts

Those my friend are what we call idiots. Anyone who thinks tossing the bar at each other and squat and repeat is destined to become injured doing it and wonder why they got hurt.

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 7:30pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

A bunch of people doing overhead press for 20+ reps with very light weight and horrible form.

Overhead press is not an Olympic movement, unless you're talking about push press, which is an accessory lift to clean and jerks.

The most impressive thing I've seen was them front squatting double-triple their body weight, nothing else has caught my eye.

Except that's pretty ****ing impressive already and close to if not exceeding your 1RM for back squat. You try front squatting even 1.5x body weight for one rep. Obviously, their upper body movements aren't quite as impressive, as women are much stronger in the lower body. Nonetheless, they're still strong enough to do some impressive clean and jerks and snatches.

I saw people tossing the bar into the air and catching it while doing overhead press, and another where two people would throw the bar at each other and squat.

Find the exercise you're talking about for me here. If they're not there, they're probably something those people made up, not something Crossfit promotes.

Don't criticize something you know little about. Look up Richard Froning's workouts for more credible material on the protocol. Crossfit is more or less an aggregation of exercises from various training protocols (Olympic, powerlifting, bodybuilding, athletic, endurance, etc.), so it does not have a clear focus beyond general fitness. And that's fine if that's all you're looking for, but as I said, if you have more specific goals, there are better ways to train. Otherwise, I'm sympathetic towards Crossfit for its inclusive and communal nature.

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 7:48pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Except that's pretty ****ing impressive already and close to if not exceeding your 1RM for back squat.

It's impressive, but no, 200-300 pounds doesn't exceed it. Either way, I think that's irrelevant. We train for different things. Obviously people that solely train for power will be stronger than someone who does bodybuilding style lifting/training.

Find the exercise you're talking about for me here. If they're not there, they're probably something those people made up, not something Crossfit promotes.

That's all you had to say/link. I'm not familiar with crossfit, so I was judging based on what I've seen through videos, and the ones titled "crossfit" with the lifts I mentioned made me not think much of it.

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 7:59pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

Obviously people that solely train for power will be stronger than someone who does bodybuilding style lifting/training.

First, don't mix up power and strength. Power is a function of strength (well, force), and while training for power can increase strength, it is not as effective as pure strength training. Second, you say you engage in a bodybuilding style of training, but your logs indicate strength training. Almost all of your major compounds movements are in the 1-5 rep range per set. Third, as I've said, Crossfit is not a focused protocol. It doesn't focus on power (or strength for that matter). It's very diverse and is an overall training method for general fitness.

I'm not familiar with crossfit, so I was judging based on what I've seen through videos

Yes, and this is fallacious thinking.

Reply to Crossfit

You must be logged in to post a reply!