ForumsThe TavernCrossfit

30 10034
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So..not sure if there are many people that know about it..but this thread is for all you crossfitters out there! (or just those interested)

What is crossfit?
Crossfit is a strength and conditioning workout focusing on a constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement. Workouts are typically shortâ"20 minutes or lessâ"and intense, demanding all-out physical exertion. They combine movements such as sprinting, rowing, jumping rope, climbing rope, flipping tires, weightlifting, carrying heavy objects, and many bodyweight exercises

CrossFit is the application of the fundamentals of Newtonian mechanics to human movement

In other words...Crossfit's purpose is to give you a high intensity workout with the basis of mechanics that are natural and beneficial for the human body and its application in everyday life (this is most clearly shown in pulling exercises and keeping pullups, for example)

If you have any questions about Crossfit, feel free to ask, and either DWF or I will be more than happy to answer them. More will be placed on here about Crossfit after I get back from work

• 30 Replies
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

CrossFit is the application of the fundamentals of Newtonian mechanics to human movement

Err...I'm pretty sure any type of weight lifting or power training involves some application of Newtonian mechanics.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Crossfit (I think there are better ways and regimens to achieve the goals that most Crossfitters have), but I do respect the strong sense of community that Crossfit has created among fitness enthusiasts. And since it continues to grow, it's nice to see average people get in shape. It's also cool that they promote plyometric and Olympic weightlifting exercises, ones that used to be obscure to people other than Olympians and athletes.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Crossfit age=1">Oh, you mean this stuff.

Hopefully I didn't mess any of those links up. Joking aside, I don't see the purpose of most of the crossfit stuff I've seen. Doing Olympic lifts for insanely high amount of reps, kipping pullups, weird and extremely dangerous looking exercises (links).

High reps and speed work is understandable, but you have to be smart about it. I don't see how jerking the weight around and using tons of body momentum is going to help you much with strength, endurance, or muscle gains.

Kipping pullups... why? What is all that swinging going to accomplish? I wouldn't even consider those pullups.

I think there are better ways and regimens to achieve the goals that most Crossfitters have

+1
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Doing Olympic lifts for insanely high amount of reps, kipping pullups, weird and extremely dangerous looking exercises (links).

I don't really care for kipping pullups, but I would like evidence of Crossfit promoting Olympic lifts for high reps. And most of the exercises are, admittedly, features of powerlifting and athletic programs.

Crossfit does not consist of a bunch of jerking around and "dangerous" exercises; it is relatively safe if done correctly, but there will always be risks as with any weightlifting program. Even though I'm not a Crossfitter, I hate how people have these preconceived notions about it just because they see a few kipping pullups and injury videos. It has produced a good deal of women who lift just as much as you at more than half your body weight, and that is **** respectable.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

It's from what I've seen on YouTube when searching crossfit. A bunch of people doing overhead press for 20+ reps with very light weight and horrible form.

Links to women lifting that much weight, please. The most impressive thing I've seen was them front squatting double-triple their body weight, nothing else has caught my eye.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

And yes, I realise not all crossfitters do the same as the people I've seen, but it's still ridiculous.

Also, when I said dangerous, I didn't mean your regular lifts. I saw people tossing the bar into the air and catching it while doing overhead press, and another where two people would throw the bar at each other and squat.

xxBoogeymaNxx
xxBoogeymaNxx
83 posts
Nomad

Those my friend are what we call idiots. Anyone who thinks tossing the bar at each other and squat and repeat is destined to become injured doing it and wonder why they got hurt.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

A bunch of people doing overhead press for 20+ reps with very light weight and horrible form.

Overhead press is not an Olympic movement, unless you're talking about push press, which is an accessory lift to clean and jerks.

The most impressive thing I've seen was them front squatting double-triple their body weight, nothing else has caught my eye.

Except that's pretty ****ing impressive already and close to if not exceeding your 1RM for back squat. You try front squatting even 1.5x body weight for one rep. Obviously, their upper body movements aren't quite as impressive, as women are much stronger in the lower body. Nonetheless, they're still strong enough to do some impressive clean and jerks and snatches.

I saw people tossing the bar into the air and catching it while doing overhead press, and another where two people would throw the bar at each other and squat.

Find the exercise you're talking about for me here. If they're not there, they're probably something those people made up, not something Crossfit promotes.

Don't criticize something you know little about. Look up Richard Froning's workouts for more credible material on the protocol. Crossfit is more or less an aggregation of exercises from various training protocols (Olympic, powerlifting, bodybuilding, athletic, endurance, etc.), so it does not have a clear focus beyond general fitness. And that's fine if that's all you're looking for, but as I said, if you have more specific goals, there are better ways to train. Otherwise, I'm sympathetic towards Crossfit for its inclusive and communal nature.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Except that's pretty ****ing impressive already and close to if not exceeding your 1RM for back squat.

It's impressive, but no, 200-300 pounds doesn't exceed it. Either way, I think that's irrelevant. We train for different things. Obviously people that solely train for power will be stronger than someone who does bodybuilding style lifting/training.

Find the exercise you're talking about for me here. If they're not there, they're probably something those people made up, not something Crossfit promotes.

That's all you had to say/link. I'm not familiar with crossfit, so I was judging based on what I've seen through videos, and the ones titled "crossfit" with the lifts I mentioned made me not think much of it.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Obviously people that solely train for power will be stronger than someone who does bodybuilding style lifting/training.

First, don't mix up power and strength. Power is a function of strength (well, force), and while training for power can increase strength, it is not as effective as pure strength training. Second, you say you engage in a bodybuilding style of training, but your logs indicate strength training. Almost all of your major compounds movements are in the 1-5 rep range per set. Third, as I've said, Crossfit is not a focused protocol. It doesn't focus on power (or strength for that matter). It's very diverse and is an overall training method for general fitness.

I'm not familiar with crossfit, so I was judging based on what I've seen through videos

Yes, and this is fallacious thinking.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Second, you say you engage in a bodybuilding style of training, but your logs indicate strength training. Almost all of your major compounds movements are in the 1-5 rep range per set.

I didn't say that I solely did bodybuilding style training, I've mentioned several times that I incorporate both. Also, the purpose of that is to preserve my strength while cutting. When I eat at maintenance I don't do strength training as often (besides deadlifts). But this hardly matters in this thread, I don't do crossfit so I don't know why you're comparing me to them.

You say it's diverse, but judging by the opening post it doesn't sound that way.
Yes, and this is fallacious thinking.

It was based on information gained through some BB threads and a few videos I saw. Don't expect me to know a lot regarding this, I don't do half an hour of research on everything I come across, then form an opinion. It should've been explained in here (thoroughly) from the beginning.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Doing Olympic lifts for insanely high amount of reps, kipping pullups, weird and extremely dangerous looking exercises (links).

When one starts..they start with relatively low weights. They focus on form until they have it flawless..then begin claiming in weights. If you begin to falter in form...you stop claiming in weights until you can handle those weights with flawless form.

The kipping pullups are weird, yes, but it goes with CrossFit wanting to have association with everyday life. If one was to need to have to do a pull-up for some reason..if they are able to..doing a kipping pullup is much easier for a person to &quotop-up" above the bar

As for the dangerous exercises..I've done some reading on people that have been injured due to Crossfit..from what I read..they were all the result of bad form while doing an exercise

I don't see how jerking the weight around and using tons of body momentum is going to help you much with strength, endurance, or muscle gains.

In what exercise do you see people jerking the weight around? The closest I can think of are those that require one to "dip" under the bar

Also, when I said dangerous, I didn't mean your regular lifts. I saw people tossing the bar into the air and catching it while doing overhead press, and another where two people would throw the bar at each other and squat.

Yeah I have no clue what they are doing. Probably some impromptu "Crossfit" of their own..and a dumb one at that

Links to women lifting that much weight, please. The most impressive thing I've seen was them front squatting double-triple their body weight, nothing else has caught my eye.

I have no clue what you lift..but here are some top Crossfit women
Annie Thorisdottir
Julie Foucher
Rebecca Voigt

It should've been explained in here (thoroughly) from the beginning.

And that is my fault...but I had to rush to work and at least wanted to start the thread before leaving. Later tonight I will have more (have to get off of computer for mean-time)
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

The use of momentum in strength training lessens the strain on your muscles. In the same amount of time, free weights are more effective; this assuming you have a proper diet.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I didn't say that I solely did bodybuilding style training, I've mentioned several times that I incorporate both. Also, the purpose of that is to preserve my strength while cutting. When I eat at maintenance I don't do strength training as often (besides deadlifts).

But you failed to mention in this thread that you do strength training as well. And look at your logs before you started cutting (which I believe you started a few days ago, according to the thread). Most of your sets are still in that strength range.

But this hardly matters in this thread, I don't do crossfit so I don't know why you're comparing me to them.

Because you are denigrating something because you superficially watched a couple YouTube videos and looked through biased BB.com threads.

You say it's diverse, but judging by the opening post it doesn't sound that way.

wat. Read again: "They combine movements such as sprinting, rowing, jumping rope, climbing rope, flipping tires, weightlifting, carrying heavy objects, and many bodyweight exercises."

Don't let your bias mar your perception. Crossfit is very respectable for conjuring interest in fitness in average people, men and women.

The use of momentum in strength training lessens the strain on your muscles. In the same amount of time, free weights are more effective; this assuming you have a proper diet.

Momentum and the use of free weights are not mutually exclusive. You're going to have to qualify your argument. And again, Crossfit is not a protocol for strength training. It combines aspects of strength, power, hypertrophy, and endurance training. It is pretty much everything about fitness wrapped in one, which is why I say it's unfocused.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

It is pretty much everything about fitness wrapped in one, which is why I say it's unfocused.

I understand how some people wouldn't be fans of the "unfocused" aspect..but that is one of the things I love about it. There is no uniformity in the workouts..it doesn't allow your body to get used to a schedule because, simply, there really is no schedule.

Later tonight I will have more (have to get off of computer for mean-time)

Yeah scratch that...I have some stuff typed out and have much more to add to it..could have finished..but then other things distracted me
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

But you failed to mention in this thread that you do strength training as well.

I wasn't aware that I needed to mention that I do strength training to someone I've told countless times. It's also mentioned on my profile and in my thread, but okay.
And look at your logs before you started cutting (which I believe you started a few days ago, according to the thread). Most of your sets are still in that strength range.

Sets of what exactly? I see it, but the only two exercises I've focused on the strength range are squats and deadlifts. That's what, two exercises out of what? The five that crossfitters aim for strength on? Before you mention overhead press, I did a mixture there before cutting. Several strength range sets, and several hypertrophy range sets, not as ideal for strength gains.

But I still don't understand why you're comparing us.
Because you are denigrating something because you superficially watched a couple YouTube videos and looked through biased BB.com threads.

That was with my first two-three posts, then you started trying to explain it. I haven't mentioned anything negative since, but you're still complaining.

So you won't complain any further: Okay, crossfit looks nice for people that want to get in general shape. The negatively was wrong, as those exercises and things I mentioned are apparently not recognized as true crossfit, or however you explained it.
wat. Read again: "They combine movements such as sprinting, rowing, jumping rope, climbing rope, flipping tires, weightlifting, carrying heavy objects, and many bodyweight exercises."

"Crossfit is a strength and conditioning workout focusing on a constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement. Workouts are typically short "20 minutes or less "and intense, demanding all-out physical exertion."

Yes, they seem to do several different exercises, but when I read the part I quoted it sounds like they're doing a short circuit of exercises mainly for endurance. I don't understand how you'll achieve maximum strength gains when you go to press or deadlift and you're exhausted and doing a bunch of other exercises quickly.

If one was to need to have to do a pull-up for some reason..if they are able to..doing a kipping pullup is much easier for a person to &quotop-up" above the bar

If you need to do a pullup for any reason, being able to do a regular pullup sounds more beneficial. If you're looking for strength anyway, you're pulling your entire bodyweight a few inches up. With a kipping pullup it's pure momentum and you're not pulling much up.

@weird/dangerous exercise talk: That was covered, and apparently it's not recognized by "real" crossfit, or however Lin explained it.

@crossfit women: Lin was saying that the women of crossfit could lift more than me, it's wrong even with those links. They're about 100-200 pounds behind on both squat and deadlifts, I don't perform the other lifts mentioned. However comparing crossfitters to me is silly, and comparing men weightlifters to women weightlifters is even more silly.
HOWEVER, I will say that those numbers are VERY impressive. They weigh in at 120-150, and are lifting near double, double, and triple their body weight on those exercises.
Showing 1-15 of 30