Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Biblical Morality (or Religious Morality)

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 2:49am

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

stealing for survival being justifiable.

Being justifiable doesn't make it right though.

Morality is...fluid. It shifts depending on what you value, from what perspective you look from, and from circumstances involved.

That said, I don't see how it would be fair for a perfect being to judge those whom he created inferior to itself. Such is simple cruelty. How can we be expected to always do right if we are not perfect? How could a god expect us to always pick the best choice for ourselves?

Punishing humans for being human is just...I can't even put it into words. It's horrible in every way. If you created something imperfectly on purpose, told it to do which you know it can't, then pass judgement on it for being what it is, that's just despicable.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 3:13am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

That's religion. Not all religions or even all parts of a religion, but it only flaws itself, especially in Christianity and Catholicism. The paradoxes can be found in my post near the top of the page.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 10:15am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

but I do know what is right and wrong from my own standing

So you meant morality on an individual basis? Good/bad based on what the person finds moral from their religion and personal views?

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 10:46am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

So you meant morality on an individual basis? Good/bad based on what the person finds moral from their religion and personal views?

From their personal views ONLY. I don't need a group to tell me what is right and wrong. If the majority of humans do not condone killing, stealing, ****, etc, then I think what is right and wrong is fairly obvious. I am not taking this from a lawmaker's point of view, I am taking it from a human point of view.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 12:12pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

From their personal views ONLY. I don't need a group to tell me what is right and wrong.

Yet some people's personal views may stem from religion, such as jihadist extremists.

If the majority of humans do not condone killing, stealing, ****, etc, then I think what is right and wrong is fairly obvious.

Argumentum ad populum. For the longest time, a lot of humans and cultures (not sure if it was a majority, but it likely was) condoned some form of slavery. Doesn't make it right.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 1:44pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Argumentum ad populum. For the longest time, a lot of humans and cultures (not sure if it was a majority, but it likely was) condoned some form of slavery. Doesn't make it right.

So you're saying killing wouldn't be wrong if people didn't think it was? Like it as not, there are some basic fundamentals to a person's thoughts and actions. Why are we talking about this?

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 1:50pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,006 posts

Knight

So you're saying killing wouldn't be wrong if people didn't think it was? Like it as not, there are some basic fundamentals to a person's thoughts and actions. Why are we talking about this?

Killing isn't wrong if there's noone around to find it wrong, yes. For example, killing in self defence is considered by most people as "not wrong". Killing flies isn't considered wrong, either, usually. Heck, there would be no morality in the world at all if it were not for a few primate species like our humble selves (yes, morals have been found to be expected in some other primates, too).

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 8:32pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,673 posts

Knight

So you're saying killing wouldn't be wrong if people didn't think it was?

No it wouldn't be. Though the way our species functions, in group killing would be at a detriment to our species to the extent of possible extinction. As such killing in such respects is generally ingrained as wrong.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 8:56pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

the mayans offered people to their god of life and destruction. they did this by making a cut under the ribs and then the high priest went in whit his hand an came out whit the heart of the offer. sometimes still beating.
this was a nearly daily ritual. and it was not seen wrong.

now something closer to home...
the death penalty. it basically is murder.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 9:13pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Is it wrong for a soldier to kill? There you have your answer. Killing is approved of in certain instances, therefore, the act itself is viewed to be neither right or wrong. The reasons behind killing someone are what is judged in our society.

Reply to Biblical Morality (or Religious Morality)

You must be logged in to post a reply!