blk2860

10,695 posts

We should have a ferret mascot!

Posted Feb 21, '13 at 10:21pm

xeano321

xeano321

3,024 posts

Knight

i have to go with simple two swords crossed behind a sheild that we have seen in so many games we love. i think that is what a AG mascot should be

That is not a mascot, that is a symbol. An entirely different subject.

Yeah Reton8 gets me and if the mascot was sushi cat then sushi cat would be everywhere and the website would become sushicat.AG.com

No, Sushi Cat need not be everywhere. I was thinking that maybe Sushi Cat could be associated with presenting site updates, be used as a way for administrators to communicate with users in news and updates, ETC... If the mascot were everywhere, it wouldn't be Armor Games anymore.

We should have a ferret mascot!

All the talk of a ferret mascot isn't really a mascot for AG, but rather a mascot for Ferret, I don't feel that would be very beneficial for the community.

Posted Feb 21, '13 at 11:18pm

Reton8

Reton8

2,810 posts

*Sigh* Here we go again...

That is not a mascot, that is a symbol. An entirely different subject.

From Wikipedia: Mascot
The term mascot ΓΆ" defined as a term for any person, animal, or object thought to bring luck - colloquially (informally) includes anything used to represent a group with a common public identity, such as a school, professional sports team, society\\, military unit, or brand
name.

Team mascots may take the form of a logo, person, live animal, inanimate object, or a costumed character...

From Merriam-webster.com: Mascot
: a person, animal, or object adopted by a group as a symbolic figure especially to bring them good luck

From thefreedictionary.com: Mascot
A person, animal, or object believed to bring good luck, especially one kept as the symbol of an organization such as a sports team.

From Google (just search "mascot definiton&quot: Mascot
A person or thing that is supposed to bring good luck or that is used to symbolize a particular event or organization.

Am, I beating a dead horse here? Maybe that should be the mascot?
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/5996/dudleyf.png

Although, I almost made the same mistake. I get that most the time when referring to a mascot the only thing that usually comes to mind is some sort of animal (or a person dressed in an animal costume). And it's implied the that we are looking for a human/animal mascot.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 12:04pm

xeano321

xeano321

3,024 posts

Knight

*Sigh* Here we go again...

Again? We've done this before?

Just to clarify, (since it has become apparent that some people do not know this already) this suggestion is not to find a person dressed up in an animal costume.

Okay, to sum up my thoughts about what and when the mascot would be used. Sushi Cat or whatever mascot is picked need not be plastered all over the whole site and everywhere Armor Games is on the internet, in person, ETC... So, it would be more of a part time mascot that you don't see all the time, yet is still associated with AG in general. (Something like the Blue Elephant.)

Am, I beating a dead horse here? Maybe that should be the mascot?

Do you have some problem with the suggestion? If you don't like it, just say so without the negative comments (A dead horse as the mascot? That's a rather cruel thing to say.)

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 1:18pm

soccerdude2

soccerdude2

1,715 posts

Maybe an armored ninja will be the new mascot. After all, there's an armatar contest for it.

I do like the prospect of something that's armored/has to do with armor or medieval times being the mascot, whether it's an armored ferret or the duo of swords crossed behind a shield or something else.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 1:24pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

Semantics, semantics...

AG already has a symbol. This symbol appears at the beginning of any AG sponsored game. The mascot as addressed in this thread is intended as a cuteness factor that advertises for AG, for example the Blue Elephant, who appears in a lot of John's games that showcase the kind of quality work that AG supports. It's recognizable and people enjoy playing those kind of games.

Perhaps the meaning of 'mascot' and the intention this thread addresses are different, but adopting this thread from a standpoint that the words must have a specific meaning because the dictionary says so is kind of annoying and isn't true most of the time, as in this case. There's no reason to take things quite literally at all, and it only distracts the point and makes you look kind of stupid. It's also quite off-topic. *cough*

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 3:05pm

Reton8

Reton8

2,810 posts

Again? We've done this before?

Yeah it's happening again boys! *cough* don't look back a few pages.

Do you have some problem with the suggestion?

No, I said, I said, "Am I beating a dead horse here." Because instead of giving just one definition of mascot, I gave four. Thus, after one you would have gotten the point, but with four iterations, I have "beaten a dead horse.".

There's no reason to take things quite literally at all, and it only distracts the point and makes you look kind of stupid. It's also quite off-topic.

Linguistic prescription vs linguistic description
also there is another linguistic debate (or it's the same one, I can't remember, but I had a clas that went over this) on whether language should change (as new words like "googled" enter the lexicon, or should remain relatively unchanged, for if the language changes too quickly, too many new terms will enter the lexicon making it difficult for people of the same language to understand each other.

"Those in favor of Dudley Dead Horse for Mascot say, 'aye'. Those opposed to Dudley Dead Horse for Mascot say, 'nay'."

"Dudley says, 'Neigh'."

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 3:18pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

also there is another linguistic debate (or it's the same one, I can't remember, but I had a clas that went over this) on whether language should change (as new words like "googled" enter the lexicon, or should remain relatively unchanged, for if the language changes too quickly, too many new terms will enter the lexicon making it difficult for people of the same language to understand each other.

In looking at the OP, the user mentions 'character', which is more than just a mascot. Context, not definitions, are the key for most linguistics, it seems. Anyways, don't continue it on here... At least make another thread if you want to continue.

Nice ban hammer, though :b

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 3:34pm

Reton8

Reton8

2,810 posts

Nice ban hammer, though :b

Dudley says, "It's not a ban hammer, Its a beatin' hammer... neigh."

Dudley also says, "Character has multiple definitions, while the defining attributes of mascot (person or object) are given within the same definition rather than in two separate terms. *Puts on dead-horse-glasses* The first lends that in order to understand what character is one must choose a definition from a set of definitions, whilst the latter lends that in order to understand what a mascot is one can only choose from one definition. *takes dead-horse-glasses-off* There's a big difference, there's a big difference, there's a big difference, there's a big difference, neigh."

And I still say Dudley Dead Horse for Mascot. Also, sushi cat can ride on his back.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 7:00pm

matrixdiscoking

matrixdiscoking

132 posts

i say stick with the swords and shield

Reply to Armor Games Mascot

You must be logged in to post a reply!