Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Mini-Mystery 3: Open

Posted Jan 12, '13 at 2:51pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,295 posts

This is a new one. It requires much less work than the second one, so loosen up. As usual, I ask the Mod's blessing. Maybe they can take a shot at it?

The rules are different this time. No hints from me. I'll leave it open for a day or two, then provide the solution. Best of luck.

[WARNING: SLIGHTLY VIOLENT. ACTUALLY, NOT REALLY. NO BLOOD, PROFANITY OR GORE. JUST READ IT, OKAY?]

Shock and Awe

MATTHEW ANGEL: DETECTIVE

The ringing phone would have woken Matt up, but he was already awake. He got up at 5:30 every morning to prepare for his day: shower, shave, breakfast, exercise and investigate. He walked back into his bedroom, five minutes of 6, and picked up his cell phone. He recognized the number immediately.
     "Angel here. What's the deal, Mendoza? You woke me up early."
     "You've been up almost a half hour, Matt. Come on, I need you for this one. Bring something to cover your face."
     "Why? So people won't recognize me?"
     "So you'll be able to breathe."
     That got his attention. He snapped the phone shut, grabbed his coat, watch and gun and ran out the door. He glanced at the address Mendoza sent him, then sped off.
     Simon Mendoza was waiting for him at the center of a small, innocent community. He was standing in front of what used to be a white two-story house. It has been demolished. The interior was still smoldering from a massive explosion that had incinerated a majority of the house. Even the grass in front of the house has been burned. He turned as Angel pulled up in his car a half hour later. He was wearing a face mask that covered him from the nose down.
     "We were just about to have a look inside. Come on. You're going to enjoy this one."
     Angel looked at the two ladder trucks and ambulance, all sirens blaring in full force. A team of paramedics were on standby, chatting with a half-dozen firefighters. He and Mendoza walked up the scarred walkway and stepped through the remains of a front door.
     "The fire started around 4:30 AM. The firefighters showed up just before 5 and went to work. They've been here since then and so have I. I was pretty sure it was caused by a bomb. No normal house fire would leave a blast radius like this. I called in a bomb squad and they picked up faint remnants of C4 packaging. After they cleared out I found something that might interest you. Check out the back door."
     Angel followed him through the wreckage to the rear of the house. To his surprise, he found deliberate damage to the doorknob and lock, which were attached to a door laying flat on the lawn. They has been blown out at close range.
     "It looks like someone shot it open. I'd guess it was from a 12-gauge, judging from a couple empty 12-gauge shells on the lawn beside it. Communities like this have tight gun laws, so no one would have been practice shooting."
     Mendoza nodded. "I was going to start asking around, but I decided to wait for you."
     Angel stood up and stretched. "This house is on the end of a row, so let's check next door." He hopped over the short fence between the houses and examined it briefly. It was another two-story house, just like the others in the neighborhood. No cameras.
     "Motive?" He asked Mendoza as they walked to the front door.
     "Nothing yet. We know that only one man was living in the house. Jacob Sendal. Another officer is doing a background check."
     Mendoza walked up the steps and knocked twice on the door. No answer. He waited thirty seconds, then knocked again. A man, wearing pajamas and wiping his eyes, opened the door.
     "It's like, 6:30 in the morning. What do you want?"
     "I'm officer Simon Mendoza, and this is Matthew Angel. We're here to ask about the events that occurring this morning."
     The man looked puzzled, then stepped outside and looked at the remains of the house next door. "Holy crap. What happened?"
     "Someone murdered your next-door neighbor, Mr. Sendal. We have a few questions we'd like to ask."
     The man shook his head. "Wow. I don't know if I can help you. I've been asleep all night. You just woke me up to answer the door. What do want to know?"
     Angel drew his revolver and aimed it at the man's head. "Why did you kill your neighbor?"
     WHY DOES ANGEL SUSPECT THE NEIGHBOR?

Posted Jan 12, '13 at 4:28pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

244 posts

I got an answer:

He would've waken up with all the sirens and loud noises coming from every which way. The neighbor is obviously lying.

Posted Jan 12, '13 at 6:17pm

Tactical_Fish

Tactical_Fish

399 posts

Yup. He would have heard the C-4 explosions, the shotgun, the sirens, everything. If a knock on the door woke him, all the sounds next door would have woken him sooner.

Posted Jan 12, '13 at 8:19pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

244 posts

Yep. SOLVED!

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 12:19pm

soccerdude2

soccerdude2

1,587 posts

I knew it had to be something about him being awake earlier, but I couldn't figure out why! I'll get one of these someday...

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 12:56pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

244 posts

xD. One day, verry verry soon LOL

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 9:25pm

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,571 posts

If a knock on the door woke him, all the sounds next door would have woken him sooner.

Assuming he wasn't already awake still from the kill he had committed. :P

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 9:39pm

sourwhatup2

sourwhatup2

3,255 posts

Well first of all he woke up from a few knocks on the door.. But not from explosions, gunshots, sirens, etc..?

Something else. There was about a 20-30 minute time frame for the suspect to have escaped, and since he lived next door it wasn't much of a problem.

Other than the 12-gauge used to get in the house and the C4 to blow it to hell, there isn't much evidence.

I would love if this was longer, hopefully you do another one. :P If I'm wrong and I missed something then I have no clue what it is.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 9:47pm

leo99rules

leo99rules

1,756 posts

Yeah, after I read this I thought that the sound was pretty obvious.

If there was another clue, I definitely missed it but I can only see one.

Posted Jan 13, '13 at 10:01pm

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,571 posts

I would love if this was longer, hopefully you do another one

I agree. I love mysteries and detective stories and the such, but this was a little too short (unless the previous comments about a possible super hidden clue is true). Good story, though. I would like it if maybe it was a multiple part kind of deal. Story chapters about this long with subtle clues, eventually leading to more solid evidence. Also, maybe some more possible suspects, along with some background of relation to the victim. That'd be cool, but just my suggestion.

Reply to Mini-Mystery 3: Open

You must be logged in to post a reply!