ForumsThe TavernMini-Mystery 3: Open

19 1986
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,850 posts

This is a new one. It requires much less work than the second one, so loosen up. As usual, I ask the Mod's blessing. Maybe they can take a shot at it?

The rules are different this time. No hints from me. I'll leave it open for a day or two, then provide the solution. Best of luck.

[WARNING: SLIGHTLY VIOLENT. ACTUALLY, NOT REALLY. NO BLOOD, PROFANITY OR GORE. JUST READ IT, OKAY?]

Shock and Awe

MATTHEW ANGEL: DETECTIVE

The ringing phone would have woken Matt up, but he was already awake. He got up at 5:30 every morning to prepare for his day: shower, shave, breakfast, exercise and investigate. He walked back into his bedroom, five minutes of 6, and picked up his cell phone. He recognized the number immediately.
"Angel here. What's the deal, Mendoza? You woke me up early."
"You've been up almost a half hour, Matt. Come on, I need you for this one. Bring something to cover your face."
"Why? So people won't recognize me?"
"So you'll be able to breathe."
That got his attention. He snapped the phone shut, grabbed his coat, watch and gun and ran out the door. He glanced at the address Mendoza sent him, then sped off.
Simon Mendoza was waiting for him at the center of a small, innocent community. He was standing in front of what used to be a white two-story house. It has been demolished. The interior was still smoldering from a massive explosion that had incinerated a majority of the house. Even the grass in front of the house has been burned. He turned as Angel pulled up in his car a half hour later. He was wearing a face mask that covered him from the nose down.
"We were just about to have a look inside. Come on. You're going to enjoy this one."
Angel looked at the two ladder trucks and ambulance, all sirens blaring in full force. A team of paramedics were on standby, chatting with a half-dozen firefighters. He and Mendoza walked up the scarred walkway and stepped through the remains of a front door.
"The fire started around 4:30 AM. The firefighters showed up just before 5 and went to work. They've been here since then and so have I. I was pretty sure it was caused by a bomb. No normal house fire would leave a blast radius like this. I called in a bomb squad and they picked up faint remnants of C4 packaging. After they cleared out I found something that might interest you. Check out the back door."
Angel followed him through the wreckage to the rear of the house. To his surprise, he found deliberate damage to the doorknob and lock, which were attached to a door laying flat on the lawn. They has been blown out at close range.
"It looks like someone shot it open. I'd guess it was from a 12-gauge, judging from a couple empty 12-gauge shells on the lawn beside it. Communities like this have tight gun laws, so no one would have been practice shooting."
Mendoza nodded. "I was going to start asking around, but I decided to wait for you."
Angel stood up and stretched. "This house is on the end of a row, so let's check next door." He hopped over the short fence between the houses and examined it briefly. It was another two-story house, just like the others in the neighborhood. No cameras.
"Motive?" He asked Mendoza as they walked to the front door.
"Nothing yet. We know that only one man was living in the house. Jacob Sendal. Another officer is doing a background check."
Mendoza walked up the steps and knocked twice on the door. No answer. He waited thirty seconds, then knocked again. A man, wearing pajamas and wiping his eyes, opened the door.
"It's like, 6:30 in the morning. What do you want?"
"I'm officer Simon Mendoza, and this is Matthew Angel. We're here to ask about the events that occurring this morning."
The man looked puzzled, then stepped outside and looked at the remains of the house next door. "Holy crap. What happened?"
"Someone murdered your next-door neighbor, Mr. Sendal. We have a few questions we'd like to ask."
The man shook his head. "Wow. I don't know if I can help you. I've been asleep all night. You just woke me up to answer the door. What do want to know?"
Angel drew his revolver and aimed it at the man's head. "Why did you kill your neighbor?"
WHY DOES ANGEL SUSPECT THE NEIGHBOR?

• 19 Replies
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,697 posts

Ah, but he had used a bomb and a shotgun. It would have woken everyone else up. He needed a shotgun to get into the first guy's house. He would have had to blow his way into another house while everyone was awake.

That would be true unless he had access to the other house before all that and he had planned it already.

But he was smart enough to make a bomb and plant the evidence in someone else's house (if he did)? Not just anyone can make, or even buy, a bomb. C4 isn't cheap.

If he was smart enough to do all that stuff then he probably wouldn't have done such a mess. It was possible he got all that stuff from someone else, and maybe it is expensive, but a 2 story house and he possibly lives there alone, he could have some money to throw around. But not sure.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,995 posts

About the new question

He could use the gun to blow open the door..then plant the gun in the house before the explosion..hoping the explosion would destroy the gun evidence

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,850 posts

He could use the gun to blow open the door..then plant the gun in the house before the explosion..hoping the explosion would destroy the gun evidence.

Why waste a perfectly good chance to frame someone else? Plus, the explosion wouldn't completely destroy a gun...unless he left it on top of the bomb. Hmm...that's rather clever.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,995 posts

Why waste a perfectly good chance to frame someone else?

Well with this I can tell I was incorrect. But to defend, maybe he wouldn't want to risk getting caught having to break into another house to plant the gun...or go through the hassle of framing someone

Plus, the explosion wouldn't completely destroy a gun...unless he left it on top of the bomb. Hmm...that's rather clever.

Wouldn't completely destroy it..but would damage it enough so that it couldn't be used as evidence or be pointed back to him
Showing 16-19 of 19