ForumsThe TavernAre People Losing the Ability to Communicate

27 8044
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

Ok I didn't know where to put this so no complaining that it's in the wrong spot.

So I don't know about you but most of my teachers are going off on how the human race is losing the ability to communicate even though we are in a Era of Socail Media. Do you think they are right? Have we lost our ability to communicate? Or do you disagree and believe are ability to communicate is fine? I want to know what you think.

• 27 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Do you think they are right?

No. They're just ranting.

Looking at things from a whole, the world's literacy rate is better than ever. People communicate more through social media and cell phones and, even though they spell things horribly there, for the most part it's just laziness.
WorstSniper
WorstSniper
1,471 posts
Nomad

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbSSQe6vsSw]

I thought this would fit nicely in this thread. But yeah, pretty much the only things we get wrong are some common grammatical mistakes and spelling mistakes. I often correct other classmates, but honestly they don't seem to care. :I

WorstSniper
WorstSniper
1,471 posts
Nomad

Wow, link fail. Will someone tell me how to fix it/fix it for me?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I saw lots of errors in the OP. ;P

But lie Kasic said, people are still communicating. Maybe not on a face-to-face basis, but if general communication is the question, then no. We are still communicating just fine.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

There you go.

And we're not losing the ability to communicate, if we were none of us would be talking, we wouldn't be typing, we wouldn't be reading this thread. Basically we need it to survive.

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

Ok because no one is getting what I was talking about when I said losing the ability to communicate this is what I meant: people not communicating properly with correct grammer and not saying things that actually have proper meaning. Does that help?

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Ask your teachers to justify their claims, and post what they say here.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

people not communicating properly with correct grammer and not saying things that actually have proper meaning. Does that help?

I highly doubt people used grammar properly in general in the past any more than they do now.

Not saying things that actually have proper meaning is how language changes over time. If everyone only used existing words and used them in ways they were meant to be used, well, there wouldn't be nearly as many words or terms.

The only difference nowadays is that with cellphones there's a separate kind of texting language, where shortening words and using abbreviations is the norm.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

honestly, those who spell horibbly on the internet and actually take that into real life werent even worthy to communicate with in the first place so even though its kind of true its not that much of an issue. actually it makes those people easier to spot XP

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I take my own angle on this one. I wonder if I am losing the ability to communicate. I am responsible for how I interact with other people. I am fine with some people and I have difficulty communicating with others. I look to see where the other person is at and I decide what I say on the basis of what I think about the situation.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Difficulty communicating would mean broken speech/no speech and a lack of contact with anyone, via correspondence, internet chatting or the like. We're still talking, it's just some of our conversations go a lot stupider. A lack of scintillating conversation and indefatigably big words does not mean we're not communicating.
It just means we can't be bothered using correct wording.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

If anything, some people have difficulties handling the new ways to communicate - as some politicians would really need a course in how to use Facebook and Twitter, and especially how not to. Just as an example.

Technology is advancing fast, with technology come new ways of communicating, and the more people use these, the less use the old ones. Thus those who still do will have to adapt against their will sometimes. If anything, this is the problem with communication; not the loss of ability. Many people generally have problems with communication (which is nothing new) and maybe it only becomes more visible in these hyper-connected days.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I think we're loosing the ability to communicate verbally, becasue everyone is on their phones or computers now. And there's all sorts of hand gestures that people use.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

And there's all sorts of hand gestures that people use.

Gesticulation is an integrate part of face to face communication, almost like face expressions.
Showing 1-15 of 27