Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Are People Losing the Ability to Communicate

Posted Jan 15, '13 at 5:53am

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

5,378 posts

honestly, those who spell horibbly on the internet and actually take that into real life werent even worthy to communicate with in the first place so even though its kind of true its not that much of an issue. actually it makes those people easier to spot XP

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 11:25am

handlerfan

handlerfan

194 posts

I take my own angle on this one. I wonder if I am losing the ability to communicate. I am responsible for how I interact with other people. I am fine with some people and I have difficulty communicating with others. I look to see where the other person is at and I decide what I say on the basis of what I think about the situation.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 12:50pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,856 posts

Difficulty communicating would mean broken speech/no speech and a lack of contact with anyone, via correspondence, internet chatting or the like. We're still talking, it's just some of our conversations go a lot stupider. A lack of scintillating conversation and indefatigably big words does not mean we're not communicating.
It just means we can't be bothered using correct wording.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 1:06pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,260 posts

Knight

If anything, some people have difficulties handling the new ways to communicate - as some politicians would really need a course in how to use Facebook and Twitter, and especially how not to. Just as an example.

Technology is advancing fast, with technology come new ways of communicating, and the more people use these, the less use the old ones. Thus those who still do will have to adapt against their will sometimes. If anything, this is the problem with communication; not the loss of ability. Many people generally have problems with communication (which is nothing new) and maybe it only becomes more visible in these hyper-connected days.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 1:54pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

6,328 posts

I think we're loosing the ability to communicate verbally, becasue everyone is on their phones or computers now. And there's all sorts of hand gestures that people use.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 2:15pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,260 posts

Knight

And there's all sorts of hand gestures that people use.

Gesticulation is an integrate part of face to face communication, almost like face expressions.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 4:24pm

kevin8ye

kevin8ye

584 posts

Pretty sure either:

a) Ur teacher is stupid
b) The textbook is stupid

This counts as a way of communication, many things do, drawing etc.

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 5:33pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,716 posts

a) Ur teacher is stupid

Oh the cruel irony...

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 6:04pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

Oh the cruel irony...

I may be called a pessimist and I may not think too highly of the average person's intellectual capacity...but even I don't think that the vast majority of people, when asked to spell "your" or "you're" are going to seriously tell you it's spell "ur."

Unless they're 6, maybe.

I think we're loosing the ability to communicate verbally, becasue everyone is on their phones or computers now. And there's all sorts of hand gestures that people use.

We still communicate verbally. Phone calls are verbal, and so are voice chats with a microphone.

b) The textbook is stupid

Who even reads the textbooks?

Posted Jan 16, '13 at 6:15pm

DancesWithFoxes

DancesWithFoxes

60 posts

I believe what they mean by us losing communication is...

A lot of people aren't talking face to face. Plus with all this technology we tend to shorten our words. Then some people turn around and don't use literature properly.

Also this is my personal opinion, but I believe since all this technology has come about people have lost the sense of using manners as well.

Reply to Are People Losing the Ability to Communicate

You must be logged in to post a reply!