Forums

ForumsVideo Games

Who Is Your Least Favourite Game Developer

Posted Jan 23, '13 at 3:24pm

Lulzshock

Lulzshock

19 posts

Infinity Ward is pretty awful. The only thing more lame than their Re-washed crap is the low quality **** Treyarch puts out.

EA owns several developers don't they? I'm sure most of them are awful.

Though DICE is cool with me, Mirrors Edge was pretty fun.

Posted Jan 23, '13 at 7:32pm

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,062 posts

It's pretty interesting that indie developers nowadays make better games then some larger developing companies out there.

I don't have a bad game developer in my mind, but if I had to choose, I'd pick infinity ward for making god-awful games I played for less than a day. They just don't make games like they used to =/

Posted Jan 23, '13 at 11:16pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,608 posts

I lost favor with Bethesda first for the whole let down on the engine that Fallout 3 was running on, it wasn't built to be a hardcore shooter at all and was dependent on you using VATS.
Then Bethesda ALWAYS has a mass amount of glitches, and focuses alot on storyline and not that much on gameplay really.

Biggest letdown was the fact that Bethesda bought Id Software and remade Doom 3 (Doom 3 BFG) into something that completly goes against what the original game was, a horror FPS shooter. But when they made Doom 3 BFG they made it so vetern difficulty was literally the same as medium on the original game, and they took away the fact that a flashlight was independent from other weapons, so you could use wepons plus a flashlight instead of just a flashlight, which completly ruined alot of the suspence in that game and the erieness.

Also I just don't like Bethesda for the fact that they bought Id Software, the one company that I always loved for their doom and quake series'.

Posted Jan 24, '13 at 3:07pm

KentyBK

KentyBK

555 posts

Don't think there's any particular studios that I dislike. Specific people? Sure. But not any studio as a whole.

It's pretty interesting that indie developers nowadays make better games then some larger developing companies out there.

I'm not so sure about that. There's a whole lot more bad Indie games than good ones, even compared to the bigger studios. It's just that we don't pay much attention to them, because there's no marketing involved.

Granted, there's obviously some exceptions, but I wouldn't say Indie games as a whole have been better.

Biggest letdown was the fact that Bethesda bought Id Software and remade Doom 3 (Doom 3 BFG) into something that completly goes against what the original game was, a horror FPS shooter. But when they made Doom 3 BFG they made it so vetern difficulty was literally the same as medium on the original game, and they took away the fact that a flashlight was independent from other weapons, so you could use wepons plus a flashlight instead of just a flashlight, which completly ruined alot of the suspence in that game and the erieness.

Also I just don't like Bethesda for the fact that they bought Id Software, the one company that I always loved for their doom and quake series'.

Bethesda never bought id; Zenimax is the company that owns both.
As for Doom, it was simply published by Bethesda, with id still being the developer behind the BFG Edition. So you should direct your complaints at id and not Bethesda. ;P

Posted Jan 24, '13 at 3:31pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,608 posts

Yea I made a mistake there, I thought Id got bought by Bethesda because on the bethesda website it lists the doom series as game that they made.

Well then  guess Ill have to say I lost favor with Id Software as well because of the big letdown BFG was.

Posted Jan 24, '13 at 7:57pm

Vagueshade

Vagueshade

84 posts

While I haven't played an indie game, I'd say that's one of the biggest things I've been hearing online.

It probably has something to do with them actually doing it out of the love they have for the game they're creating, as well as them only wanting to get their name out, with money being a (good) bonus.

Posted Jan 25, '13 at 8:11pm

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,062 posts

While I haven't played an indie game, I'd say that's one of the biggest things I've been hearing online.

Both Minecraft and Amnesia: The Dark Descent are indie games, and both are fairly recognizable, wouldn't you say?

It probably has something to do with them actually doing it out of the love they have for the game they're creating, as well as them only wanting to get their name out, with money being a (good) bonus.

The only big company with the same thought process is Valve, and they release nothing but gold. Every other big company more or less see dollar signs when they think 'video games'.

I'm not so sure about that. There's a whole lot more bad Indie games than good ones, even compared to the bigger studios. It's just that we don't pay much attention to them, because there's no marketing involved.

There's a whole lot more bad games release by famous companies, so there is not much difference between the two, except commercial marketing like you mentioned.
I noticed that in my years of playing video games, less and less good games end up in my hands. *sigh* what happened, gaming industry? Blinded by money that much?

Granted, there's obviously some exceptions, but I wouldn't say Indie games as a whole have been better.

I'll have to disagree on that one. It might be, but a close result since indie games like Fez, Minecraft, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Braid, Castle Crushers and much much more are a big hit, earning several awards and earning their spot in the video game history. As for big title games, well, Call of duty modern warfare 3, duke nukem: forever, dead island fail launch, diablo 3...need I say more?

Posted Jan 25, '13 at 9:36pm

Kreitmaker

Kreitmaker

260 posts

If Zenimax Media never bought Id Software, then RAGE would have been published by Electronic Arts and there would be no BFG Edition for Doom 3.

Posted Jan 26, '13 at 1:14am

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,608 posts

If Zenimax Media never bought Id Software, then RAGE would have been published by Electronic Arts and there would be no BFG Edition for Doom 3.

Yea, exactly, neither of those games were any good so not having the games produced in the first place wouldn't be a bad thing.
Btw I already listed my concerns with BFG in an above post.

Posted Jan 28, '13 at 7:03am

Chris707

Chris707

65 posts

It'll change but for now 343 industries because they screwed up halo 4 ;(

Reply to Who Is Your Least Favourite Game Developer

You must be logged in to post a reply!