ForumsThe TavernOne Dilly of a Pickle, ain't it? Pt.2

85 13720
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

INTRODUCTION

Thread Background
Welcome to the second edition of ODOAPAI. The first Pickle thread was released during the summer, while inactivity and community managers were on people's minds. If you're like me, you've probably felt the activity tip up a little bit on the scale, but it's nowhere near where it could be. Because of that, I've decided to return to my lurker mode and seek out the topics regarding the site and its activity, as well as some topics regarding things unrelated to activity. We need to look back on how we got from the summer to now, the winter. We need explore what we have done, and where we need to go next as a community. We need to use the power we have to make AG strong again. We've made progress, but we need to continue paving the path.

Armor Games, I give you The User's View.

In the second edition, discussion will be the primary focus as opposed to large OP presented matters. As of such, any and all participants are encouraged to contribute anything at all.

Armor Games Background
Armor Games has started its onslaught of AG3 updates, which are essentially updates created to modernize the site. We have been promised updates to our messaging, AP, game, and forum systems, as well as some miscellaneous things. As these promises began becoming common knowledge to the common user, the AG city has almost started bustling again. No longer can you come to know every active user closely, and perhaps you like it this way, but we still need to raise activity. We can't let go of what we want.

Staff Changes
Part 1: The Ferret team
Ferret has been added alongside the current Armor Games administrators. But he didn't come alone. Tasselfoot, boppins, and heyitsleo came with him. When the "Ferret team" came about, the community was on the verge of death. Bugs, inactivity, spam, uncertainty, and general insanity rampaged throughout the community, and so the Ferret team was immediately put to work fixing bugs, welcome newcomers, banning spammers, and releasing information regarding AG3. As can be assumed, everything felt fine and dandy, until we finally realized what we needed to do next: keep paving the road back to success.

Part 2: Moderation
As one of the first major bringings done by Ferret, the moderation team chose to promote MrDayCee to the rank of moderator, adding to some much needed assistance with taking care of the community. Not only that, but many of the moderators came to being a common sight again. No longer did we have 1/2 moderators, but nearly the entire team has shown at least a hint that they were still around, still lurking. Could it be the hope that the site had been saved?

Part 3: John
Long-time veteran developer John switched to Armor Games' rival, Kongregate. When asked if this would be a problem, most people would use "John's games are gone" as a go-to response. Not necessarily true (won't go into specifics), because John's leaving was more psychological than literal problem. It hints towards uncertainty in the future of the people who control the site. What will we do without John? he was a piece of Armor Games that gave it its rich, iconic flavor. People came to the site to play games by John. Now, what if Kongregate sucks up the benefits of having an awesome developer instead of us?

Armor Games v3
While we have Ferret and his team, we are still in the dark on multiple issues concerning the new version of the site, AG3. Updates are undoubtedly less frequent than Cormyn's reign, and the community needs to know the absolute truth when it comes to the subject. What is being developed right now? What is only promised and what is planned? When can we expect more updates? What is higher on the priority list? Who is creating the updates specifically? How will they affect the site? Will they be major enough to help us continue down the path? Obviously, we need to have more answers.

Improvements
With the coming of the Ferret team, multiple improvements have been made to the site as per Dan's and the community's request.

Bugs fixes
The deadly Rogue Glitch has been cured. The activity button is repaired. The cache updates. These are only some of the hundreds of awesome bugs fixes the team has made, essentially making the entire site bug-free, aside from a minor hiccup here and there.

Seasonal Armatars
Seasonal Armatars have been reinstated to assist with Armor Game's spirit, as well as giving the community something to do. Not only that, but fortunately this shows progress is being made, not only on our part but on the staff's as well.

Convenient/modernized layout
The site's layout has been improved upon, allowing for simpler reading, and frankly, a more modern feel. No longer does the site hold the same exact feel it has had for years, but some pages have underwent so many changes it looks like a completely different site. New change brings for more activity. The Forum Games and Newcomers section have also been granted AP for users posting.

a. Community page
The community page has had the addition of new sections, as well as the change of unused/inaccurate/outdated sections in order to allow for easier reading.

MMO games
The addition of the MMO category has brought a completely new breed of Armor Games citizens. It has expanded Armor Games from a simple flash gaming site, to a global, major MMO home. This has led to new people coming to the site.

Conclusion
The path is still being paved to success, but must be continued in order to reach maximum awesomeness!

Contributors,
jeol
GhostOfMatrix
daleks
nichodemus
Ferret
boppins
Tasselfoot
heyitsleo
Strop
Devoidless
Zophia
Gantic
pangtongshu
R2D21999
pickpocket
killersup10
Cenere
xeano321
Xzeno
NoNameC68
MrDayCee
Ernie15
sourwhatup2
zonic98
Jacen96
Freakenstein
Santi_
thebluerabbit
ImTheMostManlyMan

Exiting thoughts,
Remember to keep the community strong by requesting more, participating in the forums, and helping out your fellow man.

• 85 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I agree with daleks on the quests. They should just show your 5 most recent quests and have a "see more quests by *insert username here*" button. Then that lists all the quests. Of course, this would be optional. Some people like sloppy pages...

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I agree with daleks on the quests. They should just show your 5 most recent quests and have a "see more quests by *insert username here*" button. Then that lists all the quests. Of course, this would be optional. Some people like sloppy pages

I have to agree 100%. Showing more then just several quests just makes the profiles look ugly... Heck, my desk looks neater right now then most profiles do. (If you saw my desk, you would find that to be an excellent comparison.)
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

What? I have all the quests (aside for some legacy and one other that just isn't showing on my profile). So the show all quests button takes you away from your profile, where most users probably don't have all the quests, to the page that actually shows you all the quests.

Now I can understand the thought that we can already see the quests' pictures so what is the point in obtaining the quest if you already get to see what it looks like. Well, you get the quest so it will show on your profile and you can showcase the "mad skillz" you have. Also, the other sites let you see what the badge pictures look like before also.

I really don't understand what you're getting at.

You have 71 quests. Your profile shows 71 quests, so what is the point of having a button to view all quests on a different page when they are already on your profile.

They should use a system similar to the SC2 showcase, where you pick the quests you want to show up (on SC2 you can pick 5), and the rest are linked to around the area where your showcase is.

~~~Darth Caedus
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I didn't know who the heck he was. Likely my fault, for not being here much... but, like, does he not post on WERP? How am I supposed to judge him?

He isn't the first mod to hardly ever post there, but he might actually beat my record of having the lowest post count in that forum.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

but, like, does he not post on WERP? How am I supposed to judge him?

Once in a few blue moons. But his main home is the Popular Media section, which he is the mod that really holds control there (yes..I associate mods with different sections of the forum..problem?). He was also prevalent in the Support section

And maybe the issue with this part isn't him not goin into WEPR..but you not venturing more =p

2. They're populist nonsense appealing to the lowest common denominator.

So...the overwhelming amount of users on here, that are a part of AG for the sole fact of playing flash games, are the lowest common denominator? (minority would be a nicer word..unless you are throwing a hipster wrench into things and saying it to mean something else..)

I don't see how MrDayCee's addition was "not unanimous". If it wasn't unanimous, the policy must have been changed by the Ferret team

If I recall correctly..a few mods were a bit upset about how ModDayCee wasn't selected/voted in by them (Devoidless being the main one I believe)

(If you saw my desk, you would find that to be an excellent comparison.)

Yeah..that does look pretty nice

----

Forgot to reply to something...

Going to summarize it quick: make new forum button, have more seen mods/admins, update stuff, make new awesome threads, more community projects, and about a million other things.

But what can we, as a community do? I know you stated make awesome threads (how bout more threads as well? =p) and community projects..but there must be more we can do to increase activity
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

1. I didn't know who the heck he was. Likely my fault, for not being here much... but, like, does he not post on WERP? How am I supposed to judge him?

I believe it should be a mods job to avoid showing their opinions as the there will be less of a biased formed about them. Supposedly journalism is meant to be this way. News anchors are supposed to report the news and not show a biased to candidates, parties, and specif issues, but it seems in recent times they do. Teachers aren't supposed to go off on political tangents, but they often do it wasting valuable class time and student money talking about non related subjects (maths teachers talking about politics, come on.)

It's not like the mods have to avoid WERP, and it doesn't bother me that much if I know were they stand on things. I just feel it's more professional to not show your opinion on non-flash game issues (as the other issues are only thinly related to the site.)

No one thought to warn me this was gonna happen so I could boost my activity real quick to make it?

I agree with you on this one. Although, we did have a two year period of knowing this would happen, haha. I don't post as frequently as certain users I guess.

We were sort of warned when the forum games and new comers forum suddenly granted AP, maybe it was a little going away present they planned.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

We were sort of warned when the forum games and new comers forum suddenly granted AP, maybe it was a little going away present they planned.

There was also somewhat of a warning in the Something Coming... Thread (now the Quest Feedback thread)
leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

Ironically in the something coming thread, even though there was so much talk about achievements before the thread not one person even mentioned it.

I think Ferret must have been laughing at us when we made our guesses.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

It's not a petty rivalry thing. It is to some, I'm sure, just like how some SC2 players hate LoL because of a stupid rivalry thing.

Wut. I always thought it was DotA and LoL. SC2 Is better than both. But I like all of them to be honest.

I didn't know who the heck he was. Likely my fault, for not being here much... but, like, does he not post on WERP? How am I supposed to judge him?

Maybe he isn't really into all that stuff. I'll post in the WERP every once in a while, but it's pretty rare. And it's probably for the same reason I stay out of it. Interest.

They're populist nonsense appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Hmm are you sure? Maybe we're the lowest common denominator.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Maybe he isn't really into all that stuff. I'll post in the WERP every once in a while, but it's pretty rare. And it's probably for the same reason I stay out of it. Interest.

Everyone is a little too rude in the WEPR, I never feel comfortable posting there. Some of the users in there have too strong of a control over the forum, they drive people out who don't agree with their opinions. (That's just my personal opinion.)
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I believe it should be a mods job to avoid showing their opinions as the there will be less of a biased formed about them.

Yes, we can just be bland little sheep for you all. That sound wonderful.

Everyone is a little too rude in the WEPR, I never feel comfortable posting there. Some of the users in there have too strong of a control over the forum, they drive people out who don't agree with their opinions.

It's the part of the forum where debates take place, not the "hug me gently until I fall asleep" section. So for someone not used to being able to/needing to defend their stances or views it can seem intimidating. Although I recall a time when it was a more civil place where ideas were more exchanged and discussed than debated (aka before it was cool to just run in and yell about "dem dere queers and atheists are ruining god's green earth&quot.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Although I recall a time when it was a more civil place where ideas were more exchanged and discussed than debated

That would have been nice. I like hearing about other people's opinions even if I don't agree with them. Honestly as long as they have some reasoning behind their beliefs I am happy.
I suggest more of this. ... Somehow. There should be an event or project to get users involved in that everyone would want to participate in.

If you try to please everyone you please no one. But it would be interesting. I don't really have any ideas though of what you could do.
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Yes, we can just be bland little sheep for you all. That sound wonderful.

I didn't mean it to that extreme lol. I just thought it wasn't good policy to show your opinion on the highly polarized and politicized topics, which are see are few, however in WEPR it seems to be the only type of topic discussed. And this is a completely different arena from news anchors and teachers, so Idk.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

That would have been nice. I like hearing about other people's opinions even if I don't agree with them.

That's discussion. A friendly conversation, where you respect others ideas and opinions without insulting, or attacking them. Some of the guys in there wont put up with someone going against their ideals, thus making discussion entirely non-existent.

@Jeol

You seem to have quite a bit of insight in that post right there... Some well observed facts, I must say.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

But what can we, as a community do? I know you stated make awesome threads (how bout more threads as well? =p) and community projects..but there must be more we can do to increase activity

Agreed, there isn't much we can do other than what you just mentioned. Although, pestering seems to be a skill of ours. *Wink*

If you try to please everyone you please no one. But it would be interesting. I don't really have any ideas though of what you could do.

I am planning a Pickle Project in the future. It'll be the third, after the first two received a good amount of attention. I'm studying Machiavelli in my AP Lit class and I am getting some ideas...
Showing 46-60 of 85