ForumsWEPRmali war & algerian hostage crisis.

26 13259
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

algerians and foreign workers were taken hostage at the gas plant in wednesday's assault, apparently in direct response to france's offensive in nearby mali.

cameron said, "but i think we should be prepared for the possibility of further bad news"

what do you guys think? is this the start of a 2nd war on terror? (or extension, as the 1st is still going on)

the man behind the group claiming responsibility for the attack and kidnappings is a veteran jihadist known for seizing hostages.
Moktar Belmoktar, an algerian who lost an eye fighting in afghanistan in his teens, has long been a target of french counterterrorism forces. libyan sources said he spent several months in libya in 2011, exploring cooperation with local jihadist groups and securing weapons.
weapons that in the fight against ghadaffi was dropped by france to strengthen the rebellion. so they are fighting there own arms now.

• 26 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

algerians and foreign workers were taken hostage at the gas plant in wednesday's assault, apparently in direct response to france's offensive in nearby mali.

cameron said, "but i think we should be prepared for the possibility of further bad news"

what do you guys think? is this the start of a 2nd war on terror? (or extension, as the 1st is still going on)

the man behind the group claiming responsibility for the attack and kidnappings is a veteran jihadist known for seizing hostages.
Moktar Belmoktar, an algerian who lost an eye fighting in afghanistan in his teens, has long been a target of french counterterrorism forces. libyan sources said he spent several months in libya in 2011, exploring cooperation with local jihadist groups and securing weapons.
weapons that in the fight against ghadaffi was dropped by france to strengthen the rebellion. so they are fighting there own arms now.

Just another stupid war for no reason at all, I heard that now french security
agencies are fearing a retaliatory attack in france.
And if that happens with 100+ causalities, I think french population will force govrn. to back out.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I can understand parts of the reasons though, since after the Libya intervention, as mentioned, lots of weapons landed in the hands of islamists and with some of the Tuareg groups they spread in Mali. You can't just let them spread more.

I just fear that even this crisis won't be lesson enough for France not just to splash into foreign affairs handing out weapons simply to find them directed against themselves later on.

The hostage thing is very sad, they underestimated the whole thing and many people died. Attacking the islamists was the strategically better thing to do, I think, but it raises questions about the hostage and legitimate or illegitimate sacrifice of human lives.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Just another stupid war for no reason at all,

this group has close ties whit al-qaida. and is taking over mali.
they slipped past the usa in afghanistan. they focus on pakistan now while they are growing in mali and algeria now.
if we dont attack them then the usa war on terror would have been for nothing because they are regrouping outside there vision now.

so to not make the war of the last 11 year for nothing. we have to attack them. or els becomes mali and algeria the new afghanistan in 10 year from now.

I heard that now french security
agencies are fearing a retaliatory attack in france.

and right they are. there are prety much muslim extremists in france. only 1 needs to plan a attack after this.

And if that happens with 100+ causalities, I think french population will force govrn. to back out.

the people might protest but i dont think the government will back out this fast. they know what is at stake and other countries have recognized the thread.

I just fear that even this crisis won't be lesson enough for France not just to splash into foreign affairs handing out weapons simply to find them directed against themselves later on.

i remember back then that people thought this was a good idea to arm the rebelion. i remember i was 1 of the few on this forum that said it was a bad thing to do. we already have seen many times in the past that the usa hands out guns that later gets used against them. and france hasn't learned a thing about it. history repeats itself here. i saw it coming.

Attacking the islamists was the strategically better thing to do

they didn't find much people during the attack. the hostages are spread out over the complex. while they attack 1 part. the islamists killed 30 people in a other place.

but it raises questions about the hostage and legitimate or illegitimate sacrifice of human lives.

i think these 300 people are ****ed anyway. i would suggest to blow up the gas plant so it will go fast for all of them.
but i doubt any country is willing to kill them.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

they didn't find much people during the attack. the hostages are spread out over the complex. while they attack 1 part. the islamists killed 30 people in a other place.

Newspaper say it was mostly a decision of the Algerian military to attack, as the US, France and other countries uttered critique at not being informed about the plans. True enough, id didn't turn out great. But is the line western countries follow, meaning saving all hostages even if they have to negociate (which they do even though they never admit publicly), really a solution? For if taking hostages works, there's no reason to stop. On the other way, some expert said that the attack created martyrs and will provoke even more copy-cats. So what can be done?

i think these 300 people are ****ed anyway. i would suggest to blow up the gas plant so it will go fast for all of them.

Blow up one of the important gas sources for the western world? Eeyup. Not gonna happen I think.

but i doubt any country is willing to kill them.

Ya. If someone did, they would be drowned in international critique etc., understandably. Ethics and so no.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Newspaper say it was mostly a decision of the Algerian military to attack, as the US, France and other countries uttered critique at not being informed about the plans.

yea, they did they attack.

id didn't turn out great. But is the line western countries follow, meaning saving all hostages even if they have to negociate (which they do even though they never admit publicly), really a solution? For if taking hostages works, there's no reason to stop. On the other way, some expert said that the attack created martyrs and will provoke even more copy-cats. So what can be done?

kill the hostages. it shows that there can't be negociated. and that taking people hostage is like painting a giant bulls-eye on your head.

Blow up one of the important gas sources for the western world? Eeyup. Not gonna happen I think.

i dunno how much % that plant provides. but there is allot of gas on the northern hemisphere. i think that can fall in place of this one plant untill it's rebuild.

Ya. If someone did, they would be drowned in international critique etc., understandably. Ethics and so no.

indeed.
sometimes ethics is a pain. =/
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

this group has close ties whit al-qaida. and is taking over mali.
they slipped past the usa in afghanistan. they focus on pakistan now while they are growing in mali and algeria now.
if we dont attack them then the usa war on terror would have been for nothing because they are regrouping outside there vision now.

Just the rhetoric I feared.
and right they are. there are prety much muslim extremists in france. only 1 needs to plan a attack after this.

and he have every right to, One does not simply attack a nation and expect no retaliation.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

He live in france, get free medical threatment, maybe helo from the govn. foe not working, and generaly live better because of france, and even so this muslim will make a terror attack to revenge? You justify it punisher?

France dont attack a country. They attack a terrorist group. Mali asked them for help. These islamist are the same as in Darfur. They sre radical islamist who litersly want to rule the world, make it ruled by there zealot leaders under the sharia law (which afcoust wont be enforce on these leaders).

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

He live in france, get free medical threatment, maybe helo from the govn. foe not working, and generaly live better because of france, and even so this muslim will make a terror attack to revenge? You justify it punisher?
[/b]
Lets take an example,
I go to a man's house, he feeds me well, supports me well, but then he attacks at my house, should I let him attack my house?
No I don't think so.
[b]France dont attack a country. They attack a terrorist group. Mali asked them for help. These islamist are the same as in Darfur. They sre radical islamist who litersly want to rule the world, make it ruled by there zealot leaders under the sharia law (which afcoust wont be enforce on these leaders).

Tell me, if they did not have any support, how come they captured 2/3 of the country?
and yes I justify it, if some foriegn nation attacks my country, I will retaliate.
PS:- Before anyne of you starts calling me an extremist, note that I too consider them too extreme for me.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Lets take an example,
I go to a man's house, he feeds me well, supports me well, but then he attacks at my house, should I let him attack my house?
No I don't think so.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

and he have every right to, One does not simply attack a nation and expect no retaliation.

france did not attack a nation. they co-op whit mali. the war between mali and the group is going on for some time already.

Lets take an example,
No I don't think so.

your soooo far off whit what is happening here. -.-' i'm not sure i gonna reply any longer on this.

if some foriegn nation attacks my country, I will retaliate.

no such thing has happened.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

[quote]france did not attack a nation. they co-op whit mali. the war between mali and the group is going on for some time already.
[/quote]
Define Mali
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Define Mali

[url=http://www.operationworld.org/files/ow/maps/lginset/mali-LMAP-md.png]
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

http://www.malinyeta.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/maliMap.jpg

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I know where mali is, but I also know that an elected govrn. was ousted by military junta, which was defeated by tuaregs which were kicked out by Al Shabbab and neither of these were nice guys.

Showing 1-15 of 26