Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Official Poetry Contests - Theme: Unrequited (due October 24)

Posted Mar 23, '13 at 12:11pm

Reton8

Reton8

2,669 posts

Is there any way I can get feedback on my haiku? I think it is one of the first I have ever done let alone submit to a contest. 

- I want to know if I was in the proper format.
- If I fit the theme (I thought it did and have my reasoning behind it fitting), but it may not have.
- The weaknesses in the haiku.

I understand it is time consuming though, but since I'm new to it I need to know how to improve :]

Posted Mar 23, '13 at 12:17pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,434 posts

There were about at least 50 entries total. No way we could provide in-depth judgement for everyone and there are conflicting opinions on the top three for both anyway. I'll see what I can do, but I make no promises.

Posted Mar 23, '13 at 9:01pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

How are winners chosen? Is there a specific voting method, or is it more like a shouting match?

Posted Mar 23, '13 at 9:43pm

killersup10

killersup10

1,789 posts

Lets see if they're going to be hypocrites...

There were about at least 50 entries total.

Totally not going to mention how multiple people couldn't do that while one person used to be able to review 15ish in three days.

receive your merit.

Why bring them back now?

Especially when some of us have full-time jobs to work in order to feed, shelter and clothe ourselves.

Some people need to go to full-time school, in order to keep other people happy, to worry about their future, and in order to stay inside the law.

Posted Mar 24, '13 at 12:03am

Gantic

Gantic

7,434 posts

Let's see if you aren't wrong.

I may have been the one to make an announcement about removing the merits, but I am not behind the revamp and I have nothing to do with the creation and running of this contest up until this point and the ones who are behind running this contest didn't have any input at the time the merits were removed as they weren't around. I'm sure if I didn't step in at all for this contest, this would have gone for a couple more days at the very least with less than desirable attention.

I'm not one for unilateral action, but I'll do what I have to when I need to. Unilateral decisions are always easier and it would've been done in a timely manner if it were up to one person. I wholeheartedly prefer consensus, and anyone who's worked in a group if not a team knows how hard it is to get, especially when it's a group that doesn't meet physically and are only obligated to participate insofar as their schedules and priorities allow. We had already come to a decision on the 7th and it took the three days before that to choose the winner for the General Poetry Competition. By a hair's difference does mean by a hair's difference. Unfortunately, Devoidless decided to get busy with life and not post the judgment two weeks back. The situation is unfavorable, but there's nothing that can be done about it now.

The judgment currently more verily reflects my choices and my opinions, but it does include what input there was in building consensus on the winners. What it does lack but should have is how well it represents the theme and that was an oversight on my part. Unfortunately, no one seems to have brought that up. I can tell you why I think, exactly, down to the smallest details, those who won should have won over the others, as this exactly matches my choices for who should win, but I refrain from completely editorializing this, as it would preclude the reasons overall why it is the way it is, and because I honestly don't know what's up this contest. I don't know where this is going, and I don't know where this will end up, but this is supposed to have the team judging the entries. If Devoidless becomes unbusy and can retake the reigns and bring this back on track to what it should be.

One last thing: I honestly don't think it's possible get full input on all entries from multiple people in a week when a top three and honorable mentions should suffice, especially not when a blue elephant(?) was at stake. I'm not sure what's going on with that, but I hope whoever's behind that figures it out. Future rounds will probably have less entrants, but I still don't see a possibility of input on all entries from each judge. People have higher priorities than to get in-depth on poems. However, you can certainly get my analysis if you ask.

Some people need to go to full-time school, in order to keep other people happy, to worry about their future, and in order to stay inside the law.

That has got to be one of the most impertinent things ever said and it's not even the most impertinent. Unless you are an adult or even younger person who lives independently from his parents and works to pay for rent, food, and clothes to support himself, kindly stop typing. I don't know what Devoidless's life is like or his current circumstances, but I do know that life isn't easy. When you're still going through school full-time but aren't even paying for your schooling, food, and room, life is easy. Tell me life is easy once you get out of school or if you're still in school and paying for everything yourself, and then tell me it's easy for the average person, and then tell me it's easy for everyone because everyone starts from the same square, and then tell me you're full of it and then and only then will I believe you. If relationship issues and making people happy are your biggest worries, you aren't living a very hard life.

And in other news, the theme may be announced tomorrow.

Posted Mar 24, '13 at 12:20am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

What it does lack but should have is how well it represents the theme and that was an oversight on my part. Unfortunately, no one seems to have brought that up

On this thread, that is

Posted Mar 24, '13 at 5:46am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

Unfortunately, Devoidless decided to get busy with life and not post the judgment two weeks back. The situation is unfavorable, but there's nothing that can be done about it now.

Ah, that happened with acmed right before I was supposed to judge for the first time. 'Tis indeed a tragedy.

I honestly don't think it's possible get full input on all entries from multiple people in a week when a top three and honorable mentions should suffice

Just have voters select the top 5 or so for each contest with some reasoning, and go from there. Maybe another vote+reasons on the top 2 or 3 vote-getters from the 1st round, so some good points are already made and all that's left is compiling them. If they abstain or are unable to vote within x-days of the end of the contest, too bad, but they can still give feedback.

If Devoidless becomes unbusy and can retake the reigns and bring this back on track to what it should be.

If it's going on 1 person, make a chain of succession with some contingency plans. If person 1 doesn't get x-amount done in y-days, person 2 continues where person 1 left off. Maybe make a semi-public master file that only those involved with judging could see/access/alter.

On this thread, that is

Shhh... That's like telling Stalin that the people only love him in public.

Posted Mar 24, '13 at 9:41am

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

Ah, that happened with acmed right before I was supposed to judge for the first time. 'Tis indeed a tragedy.

Fleeing a lynching mob will do that to you.

Posted Mar 24, '13 at 12:02pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,434 posts

Theme will currently be Floors due April 23rd a week from the end of next month. There will be no theme for this month, as most of it has passed and it's already a week before the end of the month, so you guys have about four weeks now.

As this was not mentioned before, there will be one theme for both contests from here on out unless otherwise noted.

Posted Mar 24, '13 at 1:26pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

Theme will currently be Floors

Wait..the theme is...floors? Floors..like.."oh hey man, look at my new wood floor I just had put in"

"oh man..that's..that's uh pretty cool"

"Yeah man..I can't wait to write some poetry about it"

This will be fun

Reply to Official Poetry Contests - Theme: Unrequited (due October 24)

You must be logged in to post a reply!