ForumsArt, Music, and WritingOfficial Poetry Contests - Theme: Sunshine (Due: May 31)

549 556267
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Welcome to the newest contest on ArmorGames!

This is the new and improved version of both the Periodic Poetry Contest and the Haiku Contest. From this point out, both contests will be combined into one massive contest for everyone to enjoy! And as such, each user is allowed to enter is both contests with separate entries if they so desire, effectively doubling the odds of winning.
Each contest (One being general poetry and the other exclusively haiku) will have one winner every month. Every month, two winners (one from each contest shall be chosen and receive a merit for all their hard work. Show it off to your friends, gloat about it to your enemies! Tell your parents about it and confuse them! It's a win-win-win-win-win scenario, folks.

Rules

General Poetry Contest:
- It must fit the theme if the month (same theme as the Haiku Contest).
- It must be submitted by the deadline.
- It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
- It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).
- The poem must be created for this contest
- A user cannot win twice in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every month!)
- Only one submission per user will be accepted

Once a month a winner will be chosen from all the received entries. To begin, the Moderation/Administration Team will act as judges and choose winners. Subject to change depending on how well things go.
The winner will then make a comment on the ContestWinners profile to receive a merit.
(Original idea by ubertuna, itemized rules by DragonMistress, modified by Devoidless)

Haiku Contest
"A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons."
Well, that said, here are the rules:
- It must fit the theme of the month (same as General Poetry Contest)
-The haiku must be original (no plagiarizing)!
- It must be submitted before the deadline
- It must be created for the contest (no using works previously written)
- One submission per user
- The same user cannot win twice in a row (but they are welcome to submit!)

Once a month a winner will be chosen from all the received entries. To begin, the Moderation/Administration Team will act as judges and choose winners. Subject to change depending on how well things go.
The winner will then make a post on the ContestWinners profile to receive a merit.
(Original idea and itemized rules by Maverick4, modified by Devoidless)
First Themes
The first themes to kick off this contest shall be:
- The theme for the General Poetry contest this run is "Touch of Truth".

- The theme for the Haiku contest is "Broken Bond".
Submitting an entry
Since there are two separate contests, users are required to mention in the post which contest they wish to use the entry for. Any entry without this is subject to not being entered into either contest.
Examples of how to clarify which contest an entry is for:
-

This poem is for the General Poetry contest

-
-This is for the Haiku contest

-
I'd like to enter this for the General Poetry/Haiku contest

Remember, each user is allowed to join both contests!

Alright! Looking forward to seeing what you all can create! Good luck, and have fun with it!
  • 549 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

So far we only have eight entries? Come on! I know everyone out there has it in them to write some fantastic poetry!

That said, I'd like to thank everyone that took a few minutes to sit down and write one or more poems. It's nice to see what you folks can do!

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

We'll get more as this thread gets more notoriety *crosses out* fame.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I think there's some who think "I've got almost a full month yet" and procrastinate. Others might be rewriting/revising. Saying "we only have eight entries" on day 4 of 30 is equvalent to the activity on day 1.3 of 10 in the old contests. This is just the beginning.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'll get something up today or tomorrow. I can't go anywhere anyway with all the freezing rain.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Hey, I have a question. Am I allowed to use foreign words in the poems?
Also, can you write the entire poem/haiku in a foreign language (if you provide a translation as well)? Not that I can write a whole poem or haiku in a foreign language, but I've already employed the use of a foreign term in my haiku.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Come on! I know everyone out there has it in them to write some fantastic poetry!

Sorry. I cannot think of a good haiku. I haven't done them in forever.
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

haiku

the chains are on me
but they are weakened by time
they will have to break

I love me a good haiku.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Also, can you write the entire poem/haiku in a foreign language

I'd prefer all entries to be in English.

That said, I decided to drop a poem here and there just for the fun of it. Not to enter the contest, obviously, yet just to do it. ^_^

Touch of Truth
These scars are links to days gone by
Reminding me of every little moment
That happend to mark me for life
Out for all to gaze upon

Some thin and pale
Stretched across my knuckles
Others thick and dark
Across my arms and face

The truth of those events can not be denied
For every time I brush my hand across one
I'm transported back to that day
And forced to reconcile with that touch of truth
megacooper
megacooper
191 posts
Peasant

That was deep, Devoidless. I like how you used the subject at the end there *cough* i did it before *cough cough* ;D

FALLEN950
FALLEN950
162 posts
Nomad

For the general contest:

I'm chasing a destitute darkness
A void that I identify as evil
But as I gaze upon it's dissimulation
I see what I've been chasing my life's entirety

I see it gawking at me from a metal slab
It is enclosed with a sheet to harbor the impurities that I fix there
I see it looks isolated and abandoned
But I also see in it's eyes, the triumph that has finally come with death

A war has erupt since birth in my mind
A war where many battles have been reconciled and put into play
I have set the proposition along many years of my mangled, contorted life
And permanently, I have won the battle that matters the most, the battle for my death

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Haiku Entry:
It became shattered
Fear causing it to break quickly
A bond now broken.

I might write another one if I come up with something better.

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

Please follow the rules of the thread...

Not to continue the cycle, but I think that falls under "and such," but whatever :P

And sorry Voidy, workin' on my stuff. I wanna make them both perty for all of ya'll. *needs to go to bed*
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Tiles aren't needed. Feel free to add one if you wish, yet don't feel like it is needed. Most of what I do is never titled. That's just how I roll.

HUA7XFan122396
HUA7XFan122396
80 posts
Jester

So far we only have eight entries? Come on! I know everyone out there has it in them to write some fantastic poetry!

Come on guys, it's been 3 days since Devoidless said that, and there have only been 3 more entries... There's only 24 days left people, get a move on!
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Haiku Entry:
It became shattered
Fear caused it to break quickly
A bond now broken

Hopefully caused is 1 syllable. Sorry about the mess up earlier. I stink with syllables.

Showing 31-45 of 549