ForumsArt, Music, and WritingOfficial Poetry Contests - Theme: Sunshine (Due: May 31)

549 556331
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Welcome to the newest contest on ArmorGames!

This is the new and improved version of both the Periodic Poetry Contest and the Haiku Contest. From this point out, both contests will be combined into one massive contest for everyone to enjoy! And as such, each user is allowed to enter is both contests with separate entries if they so desire, effectively doubling the odds of winning.
Each contest (One being general poetry and the other exclusively haiku) will have one winner every month. Every month, two winners (one from each contest shall be chosen and receive a merit for all their hard work. Show it off to your friends, gloat about it to your enemies! Tell your parents about it and confuse them! It's a win-win-win-win-win scenario, folks.

Rules

General Poetry Contest:
- It must fit the theme if the month (same theme as the Haiku Contest).
- It must be submitted by the deadline.
- It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
- It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).
- The poem must be created for this contest
- A user cannot win twice in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every month!)
- Only one submission per user will be accepted

Once a month a winner will be chosen from all the received entries. To begin, the Moderation/Administration Team will act as judges and choose winners. Subject to change depending on how well things go.
The winner will then make a comment on the ContestWinners profile to receive a merit.
(Original idea by ubertuna, itemized rules by DragonMistress, modified by Devoidless)

Haiku Contest
"A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons."
Well, that said, here are the rules:
- It must fit the theme of the month (same as General Poetry Contest)
-The haiku must be original (no plagiarizing)!
- It must be submitted before the deadline
- It must be created for the contest (no using works previously written)
- One submission per user
- The same user cannot win twice in a row (but they are welcome to submit!)

Once a month a winner will be chosen from all the received entries. To begin, the Moderation/Administration Team will act as judges and choose winners. Subject to change depending on how well things go.
The winner will then make a post on the ContestWinners profile to receive a merit.
(Original idea and itemized rules by Maverick4, modified by Devoidless)
First Themes
The first themes to kick off this contest shall be:
- The theme for the General Poetry contest this run is "Touch of Truth".

- The theme for the Haiku contest is "Broken Bond".
Submitting an entry
Since there are two separate contests, users are required to mention in the post which contest they wish to use the entry for. Any entry without this is subject to not being entered into either contest.
Examples of how to clarify which contest an entry is for:
-

This poem is for the General Poetry contest

-
-This is for the Haiku contest

-
I'd like to enter this for the General Poetry/Haiku contest

Remember, each user is allowed to join both contests!

Alright! Looking forward to seeing what you all can create! Good luck, and have fun with it!
  • 549 Replies
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

This is Where we Meet

Separating us, a rug,
An Afghan if I ever saw one.
Laying thing, lying there,
I'm not sure which, and,
To be frankly honest, to be
Frankly clear, frankly my dear,
I do not, so much, if it were,
Give a care. Just look at the
Afghan, laying, lying there.

There are a dozen dozen,
Dozen dozen, hundred spaces
Separating us, between you,
The rug (the Afghan) and I.
And for what? What? What?
Deaf men tell no tales. There's
The rug and nothing more.
The rug and the space. Between
Us, and that's all.

This is where we meet,
We meet here every day,
Every hour and minute,
I do not focus on you,
But the rug, between our feet.
Between our lives, on the floor
Fifty feet from the door.
Laying, lying on the floor. And
All that I see, that is left,
That is the tangible part,
Of whatever this is (was)
Is an Afghan.

An Afghan rug is laying,
(Lying) between us, on the
Floor. Fifty feet from the door.

kimo2001
kimo2001
2 posts
Shepherd

Haiku
Subject: Floors
It's used to define
Levels of society
But it never works
I tried to put some depth into it but it is a weird subject so I did about the floors of a society pyramid.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Bloody hell. These threads always become a mess.

I sorta looked through what was going on here. People not happy with the judfing , Gantic actually finishing the judging and moving things on, and an interesting new theme.

Let's get down to some questions now for good ol' Gantic:
So how was this judging supposed to work? Was it supposed to be a bunch of mods emailing (or however you talk outside of AG) to choose a winner? That is what I pictured it as. Also, judging from one of your posts I assume that did not work and you did the judging yourself out of the kindness of your bunny heart?

OK users on this thread. You are obviously mad at Gantic for the judging, or at least disappointed in how the judging was. I don't think though it is fair to attack (which it seems like you are doing) Gantic for trying to move this thread along. If you want to yell at someone yell at Voidy. He created this thread and it seems to me left. Also, I believe that this is Gantic's first time judging. Cut him some slack.

Now onto the theme that Gantic chose. Most of you seem to not like the theme. Give me a few good reasons for that. I think the theme could be taken a few different ways. Is it the easiest theme to work with? No. Not at all. But impossible? No. I think if you guys give it some good thought then some good poetry could come out of it.

Now for the contest in general. Personally I have never been the biggest fan of these threads. They are fun to post in but are really hard to judge. Each judge will always have there personal opinions on what a makes the poetry great. The judge will also see things differently. Therefore there are always people complaining about the judges. It is really getting old at this point.

The way I see it is that Voidy made a thread, abandoned it, Gantic moved it along, and now you people are criticizing Gantic left and right.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

OK users on this thread. You are obviously mad at Gantic for the judging, or at least disappointed in how the judging was. I don't think though it is fair to attack (which it seems like you are doing) Gantic for trying to move this thread along.

It's good that he did it, but unexplained, thin judging is what got acmed scolded and merits removed in the first place. I appreciate that he took the time to explain his views more thoroughly. Now that we can understand the rationale behind it, we can move on.

Give me a few good reasons for that.

I guess most users are used to abstract, open things and ideas like "Piece of Peace" or "Storm of Sins" or "Springtime Serenade" or "Winding Wind" that could mean anything to anyone while quickly painting a vibrant, emotional picture for each individual to base their poem on. A blunt, concrete theme is rare, empty of emotion, and more challenging. You need to build up the thoughts and feelings on your own.

Each judge will always have there personal opinions on what a makes the poetry great. The judge will also see things differently. Therefore there are always people complaining about the judges.

I'm fine with differing opinions, as long as they're decently supported and explained.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Give me a few good reasons for that.

My main irk is how it doesn't really act as a theme in poetry..but more as a means to reach a theme (which can be seen by basically every poem submitted so far..spare for Wolf's..but his is more about a rug..and Emp's, and his is a satire piece)

Mav put it best..it is more of a vehicle to the theme. The only way to have the theme of the poem to actually be Floors is to have your poem so blunt as to be entirely about floors
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

I actually don't mind the theme. It's a good way to challenge people, and even if it's used as a vehicle, technically that's still abiding by the theme. While I do enjoy the more abstract theme, I really do have a problem with people declaring their poem suitable for the abstract themes, even if it doesn't have anything to do with it at first. Some times it is best to simply take a step back from all the highbrow mumbo jumbo and focus on simple things.

If they change the theme, they change the theme; if not, well people need to buckle down and stop complaining. Things are-a changin' folks, why don't we just see where it goes?

theni
theni
34 posts
Shepherd

haiku for contest:

I lie on the ground
The earth solid below me
Moves on without me

HUA7XFan122396
HUA7XFan122396
80 posts
Jester

I have read the entries for floors, and quite frankly, I think almost everyone who has submitted an entry did not take their time with it, are mentioning the word "floor", not even using the theme at all, and are only doing this for the merit. This contest isn't fair to the judges and I say they should just discontinue the whole thing, because there is already a thread for poetry and the real writers are active in that thread. I don't even know why this thread was made except to give instant gratification to some people who probably complained about their comments on games that they think are merit worthy not being given merits. I am sorry for my interference in things that are none of my business, but I just like arguing.

Quirinus1
Quirinus1
157 posts
Shepherd

Equally provocative

I am the personification of the opportunist mindset and the pleasure-seeking hedonist devil. In every way possible I try to sneakily bypass others in order to gain an advantage over them. You can read this in my words and in see it in my eyes. I adore evil as I adore the slow destruction of the poetic reputations of my inferior rivals. I live in the shadows together with my demonic fiends who cannot tolerate sunlight and shall forever be entwined with the occult.

As for my goals: a merit. The ultimate reward for my little labor. How easy and fulfilling is such a recognition, which I, of course, do not need because of my obvious superiority. My mysterious plan is hatched, the trap is set. I have averted my dark powers unto this contest.

Masceron.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

No sense in not participating, I suppose. I might not agree with everything here but I won't fight.

Haiku

The ground must shatter
We should take it down a notch
Though there's no hammer

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Hard wooden blunt wall
Divides the up from the down
Protector of feet

Haiku

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Hey guys. If you know me, I'm back. If not, I'm Icy. I was here a while ago. I won a few of these contests. Sorry if this is spam, but honestly, there's enough of that already.

I'll post an entry soon.

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

Lunchtime
on the gray carpet
sharing my homemade bento
munch, munch, poignant pause

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

There is one week left to work on entries before submissions close.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Poetry submission. I.e my life in the army now.

Standby Bed

Fly, fly up the stairs!
Ten minutes and nothing more,
Run, run from his glare,
And for God's sake, clean the floor!

Recruit, in the toilet now,
Dry as his dead sense of humour,
Not a drop of water he'll allow!
Quick! Watch the sergeant's temper!

Scrub, mop, dry the tiles,
Wipe them with used newspapers,
Better yet, wipe off your smile!