Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Official Poetry Contests - Theme: Bold (due August 24)

Posted Jan 24, '13 at 11:24pm

HUA7XFan122396

HUA7XFan122396

76 posts

You sure it has to be 5-7-5, because it fits the theme, i think.

Posted Jan 24, '13 at 11:29pm

sourwhatup2

sourwhatup2

3,255 posts

You sure it has to be 5-7-5, because it fits the theme, i think.

Trust me on this when I tell you... I'm sure.

Also the theme is:
"Broken Bond".

Posted Jan 24, '13 at 11:33pm

HUA7XFan122396

HUA7XFan122396

76 posts

Yes, the broken bond is: The children are walking away from the candy store, the place they really want to go, because if they don't ... you know what happens

Posted Jan 24, '13 at 11:36pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

Yeah.. Did you read it? xD

Yeah I read it, just didn't register that little bit for some reason.

And can we leave the decisions on the validity of an entry up to the judges? Please and thanks.

Posted Jan 25, '13 at 12:11am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,276 posts

Yes, the broken bond is: The children are walking away from the candy store, the place they really want to go, because if they don't ... you know what happens

*sigh* I'll take care of this..

So..ignoring the fact that you didn't follow the general guideline for Haikus (5-7-5 pattern)...you start by establishing a white van. Nothing more. You don't state the purpose of this van or what it looks like other than white. The reader then has no choice than to assume it is a blank white van. Your next line "at the candy store" can either mean that that is the location of the van, or where the children are walking around at. There is nothing at all that even hints that the children are walking away from the store, or that the van has anything to do with the haiku.

@Devoid
So, a person can submit a haiku and have it go for both contests?
Just want to make sure I'm reading it correctly

Also..couldn't this potentially get quite..messy...due to both contests on one thread and all?

Posted Jan 25, '13 at 12:49am

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,553 posts

@HUAX7X:
As mentioned, the format haiku is 5 syllables for the first verse, 7 syllables for the second verse and 5 syllables again for the last verse. Otherwise, it is not a haiku.

@pangtongshu
No, haiku belong in their own separate category of Haiku. Everything else (free verse, limerick, etc..) goes in the General Poetry contest.
I think I know which line in the rules might of been confusing, but it's not much of an issue.
In regard to it getting messy, I've got it handled. There is a reason I stated that contestants must begin with a label stating which contest they are entering. Trust me, I got it. :p

@All
As stated, please leave all corrections and such to the current judge(s). I/We will be sure to handle all issues and questions. Thanks!

Posted Jan 25, '13 at 1:13am

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

This is for the general contest

All thoughts of this are blind,
And in blindness I see
All the inbetweens, that tread
So carefully between the lines.
With soft glances, and harsh
Movements, I find a way.
To shield my eyes; dry
As they must be, for you,
(Always for you) have left.
All thoughts of this are blind.

Posted Jan 25, '13 at 9:14am

Reton8

Reton8

2,540 posts

From Wikipedia:

Traditional haiku consist of 17 on (also known as morae), in three phrases of 5, 7 and 5 on respectively. Any one of the three phrases may end with the kireji. Although haiku are often stated to have 17 syllables, this is inaccurate as syllables and on are not the same.

I'm lost here. Not only does traditional haiku have the 17 on which don't equate exactly to syllables, there is traditionally a kigo (seasonal reference) drawn from a saijiki (defined list of seasonal references), and they are written in kanji I assume.

So if I wrote a haiku in Japanese the words and on would be different than the words and syllables in English. Causing it not to be the proper syllable count in English and not a proper haiku, Then again, if I write a haiku in English it won't translate correctly to Japanese, it won't have the proper on and maybe no kigo. Again, it won't be a proper haiku.

So, is it actually possible for an English speaking person to write a proper haiku without it writing it in Japanese?

Posted Jan 25, '13 at 10:05am

HUA7XFan122396

HUA7XFan122396

76 posts

So, can I submit a different one, or am I disqualified for this month?

Posted Jan 25, '13 at 12:28pm

megacooper

megacooper

171 posts

This poem is for the General Poetry contest

I wipe the stray tear from my face,
his words a lie, a deadly mace
For he does not tell it all
he dabbles with the truthful ball
and never seems to see the light
a darkened room, a sleepless night
Utterances of pure hate
Just make me unlawful bait,
for the swine who yellow
the wrong truth, i bellow
that you only make a Touch Of Truth

woah... too deep for me... my brain hurts

Reply to Official Poetry Contests - Theme: Bold (due August 24)

You must be logged in to post a reply!