Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Official Poetry Contests - Theme: Clickety Clack (due July 24)

Posted May 24, '13 at 4:48pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,232 posts

Pretty sure your accent is backwards

Dude...I don't know. I Google'd it...blame Google.

Longéd hopelessness...
Dare I construct confidence?
For what if I'm wrong?

fixed

Posted May 24, '13 at 4:51pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Dude...I don't know. I Google'd it...blame Google.

What are you trying to say anyway? I've never seen anyone put an accent in longed. Are you trying to stress the 'e' more? If not then I don't see why you'd need any accentuation at all.

Posted May 24, '13 at 4:59pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,232 posts

What are you trying to say anyway? I've never seen anyone put an accent in longed. Are you trying to stress the 'e' more? If not then I don't see why you'd need any accentuation at all.

When I normally write poetry..I use accents in my e's (so in this case, long-ed) or take out the e's (long'd) to be able to have better control over syllable count, emphasis, focus direction, etc.

Of late..I haven't focused on it as much. No real reason for stopping..just been lazy with it

Posted May 24, '13 at 5:01pm

Gantic

Gantic

6,769 posts

The grave accent is for marking an extra syllable, so longed becomes long-ed. One famous example is Shakespeare's Sonnet 116. "Oh no! It is an ever-fixèd mark"

pangtongshu had the accent right the first time.

Posted May 24, '13 at 5:03pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted May 31, '13 at 12:00am

Gantic

Gantic

6,769 posts

Next theme will most likely be "An Acrostic Depicting a Slice of Childhood Interpreted as a Dance of Colors on the Throat of a Hummingbird Flitting about the Garden on a Chilly Spring Day in a Rainy Month of May" if I were at all serious, but no, it will probably be The War of Love and Death unless there is good reason it shouldn't.

Posted May 31, '13 at 2:10am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,232 posts

The War of Love and Death unless there is good reason it shouldn't.

I'm allergic to War

Posted May 31, '13 at 7:12pm

Gantic

Gantic

6,769 posts

Even a figurative exaggeration of conflict? Conflict is the heart of most stories.

Posted May 31, '13 at 7:35pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,232 posts

Even a figurative exaggeration of conflict? Conflict is the heart of most stories.

Oh no...conflict I'm quite fine with. Once it escalates to a full scale war, though...

Posted May 31, '13 at 10:05pm

HUA7XFan122396

HUA7XFan122396

76 posts

sounds fun!

Reply to Official Poetry Contests - Theme: Clickety Clack (due July 24)

You must be logged in to post a reply!