ForumsProgramming ForumSuper Mario Brothers game

33 11693
cristof
cristof
2 posts
Nomad

If anyone out there is interested in creating a Super Mario Brothers game, let me know! I know pretty much nothing about flash.... I'm a "traditional" graphic designer by trade (don't do web stuff very often).

I have recreated ALL the sprites for SMB1 in vector format (boredom/8-bit nerd) and was thinking it would be cool to remake some type of SMB game... or even if it was just a level creator and people could make levels, save them in a "main system", rate eachothers' levels, etc.

With the sprites already done, the "hard part" remains... a flash genious!! Email me if you are interested.

• 33 Replies
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Wait what? What do you mean vector format, can you gimme an example?

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

Well , are you talking about making a game of Mario?

cristof
cristof
2 posts
Nomad

vector format just means the art can be scaled up to any size with out losing quality. flash's native drawing space is in vector format... the shapes, etc are drawn by mathematical formulas and quicker for a computer to process as compared to bitmap (pixel) images.

i created the sprites in adobe illustrator, so they are in vector format.

RE: Danstanta - yes, i was seeing if someone out there was currently making or interested in making a mario game/level editor.

KHROME
KHROME
618 posts
Nomad

are you trying to create a mario bros. game for AG?

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Cristof that will be extremely difficult. Hence why SMB is so popular. You can see a lot of people trying to make mario. Very hard.

Sharkbate
Sharkbate
379 posts
Peasant

When you make it give it awesome graphics.Make it a .swf file too so you can post it on armorgames.

Futuro
Futuro
108 posts
Nomad

I personally think that if you were to try and make a SMB game for AG, that it would be extremely difficult and that you wouldn't be able to do it. Now, you can prove my wrong but I think that it is to hard and that you wouldn't be able to do it.

underwearboy
underwearboy
15 posts
Nomad

Its a fun game but it would be to hard to add to AG but you should try to put it on AG.

MafiaSlayer
MafiaSlayer
159 posts
Nomad

man all you gotta worry about is copy right

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

No company bothers with copyrights on flash games.

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

i dont see how a mario game would be hard there aren't that many different moves to program, its mostly having graphics and fun levels I'd say that would be the hardest.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Let me just run you through Mario.

First. Ground, making sure mario has gravity and can hit the ground and not go through it. Then you worry about giving him a well rounded jump which is a matter of physics and acceleration and not to mention holding down just longer means more acceleration. Also you need to worry about making sure that if the feet touch the goombas head he dies but if you touch the rest you don't, also while thinking of making a box that you can't go through(harder than you think) and makingn it so that you can hit the bottom and something happens. Also the koopas which you hit on top and then they turn into a shell. Oh and when you hit an enemy you have to bounce back up once again. This might sound simple but the work in this to make sure it all works together is tremendous. Look at all the mario games out there. Not a single one has been able to properly emulate mario. It's very difficult. Much more then someone who doesn't code to understand.

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

ok, yah i never thought about it that way, i was definitely wrong, my bad, mario would be really hard to program. Also the game would take awhile if you wanted a true mario game, with all the levels, powerups, secret levels, alternate endings for levels, just coming up with that could be a little tricky.

Henrytheonlygameking
Henrytheonlygameking
677 posts
Nomad

is not a game of super mario galxay is only a flash game!!!

Henrytheonlygameking
Henrytheonlygameking
677 posts
Nomad

im intrestid plz im good with flash

Showing 1-15 of 33