Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Every show you know is a lie!

Posted Jan 27, '13 at 10:53am

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

The word reality should suggest a show that's real, or rather, one would think.

I never got that impression, at all. I always thought they were called reality shows because they were about people in situations that might actually happen. It's pretty obvious they aren't "real"...

American Pickers

Ah, "The show about people with hoarding issues."

Posted Jan 27, '13 at 12:34pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

I always thought they were called reality shows because they were about people in situations that might actually happen.

Then pretty much any show where suspension of disbelief is required would be a reality show.

Anyway, I was introduced to Catfish a few weeks ago (just in time for that Manti Te'o scandal). They claim it's real, but to have so much melodrama and plot twists in every episode.... It's essentially a show about deception, but the show itself may be deceiving its viewers.

Oh, and it's boring either way. Not sure why my friends like watching it.

Posted Jan 27, '13 at 1:52pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

14,616 posts

Knight

...I sent you a weight watchers link?

Yes it was in 2011, even dragon was crazy after that.

Not sure why my friends like watching it.

It's like what you said before. It's the melodrama and plot twists, these things make reality shows seem so real that it's fake.

Posted Jan 27, '13 at 2:12pm

megacooper

megacooper

197 posts

I dont watch TV... I spend my day locked in my dark room trying to get 50k on Treadmillasaurus Rex and get all stars on KR... And looking on YouTube for such ways to do these things... And PewDiePie...

Randomness is the way forward :D

Posted Jan 27, '13 at 9:44pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

4,619 posts

Yes it was in 2011, even dragon was crazy after that.

Well if it was in 2011 then it must have been the 303 dragon. Anywho, could you refresh my memory on that one.....Oh yeah that's right, my mom must have copied and pasted that I and didn't copy and paste something else by accident.

Anyway, back onto the topic. One detail on why Gold Rush Alaska is somewhat fake is because they're all quite wealthy but are pretending to be completely broke.

Posted Jan 27, '13 at 10:28pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

4,619 posts

Another thing I forgot. It wasn't Bering Sea Gold that was fake, it was Jungle Gold.

Posted Jan 28, '13 at 9:49pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

5,361 posts

Another thing I forgot. It wasn't Bering Sea Gold that was fake, it was Jungle Gold.

Lol right when I saw Bering Sea I thought you were gonna say Deadliest Catch lol... But that show has got to be pretty **** hard to fake.

Also I love Storage Wars. Ever since Dave came out and said it was fake people lost fiath in the show. But I still like it.

And Pawn Stars... Ahh. I couldn't imagine that being fake haha. But I mostly watch it for Chumlee. ^^

Amish Mafia. I've never seen the actual show but I figured something wasn't right when my friend told they had people rap1ng other people @_@

And of course WWE. How could that not be fake xDD People getting out of the boxing ring hitting each other with 250 pound benches? Seems legit. ;D

Humanity is killing me man lol

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 2:29am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,436 posts

But that show has got to be pretty **** hard to fake.

"Ok, now we put in the stuntman as the cage swings and knocks him over, and cover the real guy's face with fake blood. Also, cut his arm and hand so the bones show. No worries, it'll heal. Then we turn off the ship's power so their only light source is from our cameras, then we show someone rerouting the system to the backup generator while we turn it back on. Then break the ballast tank alarm so it overflows and nearly sinks the ship so we can show someone descending into a confined space to fix it. And for some added drama, we've paid one of the workers to 'accidentally' tangle another worker's leg in the line while the pod is thrown over. It's brilliant Brilliant BRILLIANT!"

But I mostly watch it for Chumlee. ^^

In reality, he's a lot smarter than on the show. Otherwise he would've been fired a long time ago. He's also really good with just about any gun.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 9:49am

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

5,361 posts

But that show has got to be pretty **** hard to fake.

... Wow. -_- But Deadliest Catch is real right?

In reality, he's a lot smarter than on the show. Otherwise he would've been fired a long time ago. He's also really good with just about any gun.

Oh lol. So wait Rick and them are real? But then how is the show fake? O_o

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 11:10am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,436 posts

Oh lol. So wait Rick and them are real? But then how is the show fake? O_o

It's a real place that was a real pawn shop before the show. Rick and the Old Man are the real owners. Cory and Chumlee really work there. However, some of the stuff they say and do on the side is scripted, such as 'accidentally' breaking stuff. Some deals and events are made up in advance, such as Chumlee happening to meet Bob Dylan. Some transactions are reinacted. There are a lot more people in the shop than it shows, but most are touring in a circle and buy souvenirs.

Reply to Every show you know is a lie!

You must be logged in to post a reply!