Forums

ForumsPopular Media

The TV show battle

Posted Mar 16, '13 at 3:46pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

3,997 posts

I'll go with Family Guy, because it had consistent laughs during its golden years (seasons 1-7) and it was very cleverly written. Not to say American Dad wasn't ever funny or cleverly written, I've just found there to be fewer laughs per episode than Family Guy (I don't find Roger funny, he takes things too far).

Posted Mar 18, '13 at 2:29am

thugtastic

thugtastic

164 posts

Sherlock, Top Gear, Big Bang Theory
Your arguments are invalid...

Posted Mar 18, '13 at 7:04pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

4,039 posts

Family Guy...

Though they have too many racist jokes and references to other shows it's really funny xD

Posted Mar 20, '13 at 2:10pm

Mr_Casas

Mr_Casas

65 posts

How about this....................................... The Big Bang Theory vs. The Walking Dead!!!!!!

Posted Mar 20, '13 at 2:45pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Family Guy
vs.
American Dad

Neither is particularly good or original or well-written. Family Guy is cheap shock/pop culture humor with no regard for context or complexity. It's very lowest-common-denominator for a show that touts itself as so edgy and irreverent. Newsflash: you have to have an actual point to be edgy.

South Park is the same show done right, The Simpsons is the same show done first.

Posted Mar 20, '13 at 4:17pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

3,997 posts

Family Guy is cheap shock/pop culture humor with no regard for context or complexity.

It used to be much more clever in its golden days, but in the past 5 years it's only been going downhill. It looks to me almost as if they're trying to appeal to a dumber audience, and it really reflects upon the quality of the show. Now all the "laughs" are cheap and obvious and it's almost unwatchable for those of us who have been watching since the earlier days.

South Park is the same show done right

How is South Park done right and Family Guy done wrong? Disregarding Family Guy's decline in quality in the past half-decade.

Posted Mar 21, '13 at 3:52pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

How is South Park done right and Family Guy done wrong?

It's better written, endlessly more original, has more regard for plot and actual messages. When South Park does a parody/critique they mostly raise valid points about whatever it is they're criticizing. When they do shock stuff it works on a higher level. Cartman alone is a better character than the entire cast of both Family Guy and American Dad combined. They're just... cleverer. It's really that simple. Disagree if you like.
The best Family Guy episode I've ever watched was the parody one in South Park, it's just so dead-on.

It used to be much more clever in its golden days

I've seen the whole first season and found it pretty watchable and funny, if really inconsequential (to be fair, so was the first season of South Park, and the first season of The Simpsons was even worse), but the recent stuff I've watched just makes me ashamed.

Posted Mar 23, '13 at 8:14pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

244 posts

Hmmm. I SEE. Next, let's do...

Psych
VS.
Dr. Who (new)

These shows are very different.. I would put my vote in for Psych.

Posted Mar 24, '13 at 12:44pm

wishfulpoison77

wishfulpoison77

123 posts

American Idol.

Posted Mar 25, '13 at 8:33pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Psych seemed alright from what little I watched, it didn't intrigue me or anything though. Never watched any Dr. Who.

Reply to The TV show battle

You must be logged in to post a reply!