Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

it is finally here! *drumroll* my art thread!!!

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 2:50pm

Cenere

Cenere

14,002 posts

Knight

To blunt out the comments:

but I also usually use a compass for the head circle. perfect circles are hard to do...

Don't use a compass to make circles. Perfect circles are for architecture and math.

but with most of the face lines, I used a ruler...

Don't use a ruler to make lines. Perfectly straight lines are for architecture and math.

If you are not drawing architecture or something man made that in no way looks natural, draw freehand. It looks a hundred times more organic and natural, and if you screw up the lineart, you can always blame your hand shaking or someone pushing you.

Anyway. In what I have seen, you show great promise for busts. There are the more logical mistakes of proportions, which is something few people should bother with before they get confident anyway, so that isn't an issue, and with proportions come great anatomy, and so on and so forth. For now, your drawings work well, they look good besides the jarring angles of the jaw, and you aren't copying someone else's style or drawings, so that's a great plus.
Keep it up, draw freehand, and you will soon be able to take Strop in a draw-off.

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 5:38pm

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

Two do-goodie belgian characters called Suske & Wiske

They're a good example, in fact, of how heads aren't perfect circles. They might look like geometrically elegant shapes, but in fact you can see one is tear-drop, and the other ovoid.

full-frontal portraits a lot easier to do than portraits at an angle, but maybe that's just me.

3/4 views are difficult to nail down due to the perspective and having to appreciate the depth of features (the far eye in particular). However full frontals are hard if you attempt to do a realistic nose, because, well, a real nose doesn't have hard features unless something's wrong with it (e.g. Michael Jackson's nose after his last rhinoplasty went awry), so drawing it with lines is really difficult. And most people never get to the point of drawing noses in that fashion, they stick to anime noses or bent Ls or Js.

Keep it up, draw freehand, and you will soon be able to take Strop in a draw-off.

Then maybe sometime after that you'll be able to take Cen.

Posted Jan 31, '13 at 9:10am

light_chaser

light_chaser

1,092 posts

yeah, cant do a good nose, unless I make it comically large...

so yeah, I have more art somewhere, and I'll try to make it not so architecture and math like, cen... :P

I need to find my sketchbook again... and buy a scanner...

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 10:29am

light_chaser

light_chaser

1,092 posts

Ok, I think I am going to take a pic of some more arts... I made one free handed, didn't look to bad, actually, here it is, its a portrait of my friend nate, (he doesn't look as girly in real life, promise...)

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/light_chaser1/2013-02-04102302_zps13f391de.jpg

its sideways...

Posted Feb 5, '13 at 2:44pm

light_chaser

light_chaser

1,092 posts

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/light_chaser1/2013-02-04220009_zps33b6f50e.jpg

its ze vamp cannon, I posted it in the ASC

Reply to it is finally here! *drumroll* my art thread!!!

You must be logged in to post a reply!