ForumsThe TavernHigh-school language class picks.

25 6376
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

In but a matter of a few days Killersup will be choosing his electives. His school district demands that every student take a foreign language. Now here is the question. Spanish or French? Killersup has yet to meet either of the teachers, and has heard mixed reviews from both classes.

• 25 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Do Spanish. You're going to meet more people from Mexico than people from France.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Do Spanish. You're going to meet more people from Mexico than people from France.

If you want to interact with more people.

Or do it in a way from your favorite thing.
Oh, football? Well Spanish is the way to go!
Oh, fashion? Well French is the way to go!

I picked my language by thinking of which place I would rather visit. (I had Spanish vs Italian) I picked Italy, so Italian. I like their food, culture, music, and basically everything.
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

*shrugs* Spanish and French sound the same to me.
Ooh, you should take Chinese, if it's offered. It's a freak load easier than people say (but then again, since i've been learning for a while, that may be just me.)
Anyway, is Spanish and French all that's offered?

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Between Spanish and French I would go with Spanish. More people in the world speak Spanish. Also Spanish is very similar to Italian. So if you know one you pretty much can understand the other.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Also Spanish is very similar to Italian.

And Portugese.

But I would say if you're looking for the easier one it would be Spanish. But don't listen to me. I'm not in high school ^^

If my high school will offer it then i'm gonna take German ^^
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

I flunked Spanish my freshmen year....got an 8%.

So I don't need to tell you I wouldn't suggest Spanish, though a lot of people say it's the easiest to learn.

You don't really NEED a language, I'm attending college in the fall and I don't have one completed. Though it is possible I have to take a foreign language in college, so it may be better to do it before you have to pay for it.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Wait..you only have to choose between the 2? Or are those the only ones you want?

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I would choose French. A ton of people know Spanish, but you don't see many people that can speak fluent French. (You'll probably never need either, but don't let that stop you. Think of the bragging rights you acquire with a second language.)

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I would choose Spanish because it;s easier to learn French and Italian and a few other languages by just knowing Spanish and English.

Though it could be the other way around as well but I'm not sure.

In any case I would take French since I already know Spanish :P That or Japanese. .-.

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

The better question is, how much are you going to apply yourself to a new language? If like most people, probably not very much. Unless you live down south with a lot of spanish speaking folk, its probably not going to be all that useful. Same goes for the north, unless you are going to Canada often (Quebec) you probably won't be needing French.

I would probably pick spanish because its the easier of the two.

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

Well I would recommend Latin if his school teaches that, because come now, who speaks Latin? Italian (and Spanish) are only about as close as the other European-based languages, so you'd be unique. Just like me :P Also, Latin helps a lot with not only seeing the bases in other languages, but science related courses as well, as the vocabulary in those classes are usually Latin-based, which is why medical students are better off taking Latin. But of the two, I'd say it depends on Killersup. If he wants a language more applicable to the non-English speaking folk in the US, that would lean towards Spanish. If he wants a lesser spoken language to be unique, French would be the better of the two, though a lot of people speak both, so either one is "fairly popular." Plan on moving to Spain(or probably Mexico since I believe the Spanish taught in America is more Mexico-oriented) or France? Pick the respective language. Really depends on circumstances like that. Are those the only two offered?

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

It is required that Killersup takes a foreign language in high-school. Killersup's school also only has those two languages. Killersup would prefer to do french, but that is only because he has a second mind in his stomach that is telling him that...

DancesWithFoxes
DancesWithFoxes
58 posts
Nomad

Spanish is a really easy language to pick up on. I took it for two years and it's easy to catch on to. If you want a more challenging language then I say take French. It's more complex to pronounce the words and use them correctly in sentences than Spanish.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Spanish is a really easy language to pick up on. I took it for two years and it's easy to catch on to.

*Shoots DWF and finds gray matter that holds key to learning other languages*

Spanish is the easier of the two, but you might still find it hard. I know I did and still do. Whatever though, I have people for most languages.
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Spanish is the easier of the two, but you might still find it hard.

It just depends on how dedicated you are. And the type of person you are I guess.

But from what I've learnt, if it's not your language it's difficult. I've heard that from several people all over the world. Lol.

But to be honest even though I've known Spanish since I was a kid, I still believe that Spanish, talking not writing, is a pretty easy language to learn. When it comes to writing there are some things that throw you off... xD To this day after 18 years of knowing Spanish I still have difficulty of pronouncing words, or finding out what one word means in Spanish from English. And I have spent years in Spanish speaking countries and still have trouble with it. xD
Showing 1-15 of 25