Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

High-school language class picks.

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 1:08am

PauseBreak

PauseBreak

310 posts

The better question is, how much are you going to apply yourself to a new language? If like most people, probably not very much. Unless you live down south with a lot of spanish speaking folk, its probably not going to be all that useful. Same goes for the north, unless you are going to Canada often (Quebec) you probably won't be needing French.

I would probably pick spanish because its the easier of the two.

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 5:14am

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,571 posts

Well I would recommend Latin if his school teaches that, because come now, who speaks Latin? Italian (and Spanish) are only about as close as the other European-based languages, so you'd be unique. Just like me :P Also, Latin helps a lot with not only seeing the bases in other languages, but science related courses as well, as the vocabulary in those classes are usually Latin-based, which is why medical students are better off taking Latin. But of the two, I'd say it depends on Killersup. If he wants a language more applicable to the non-English speaking folk in the US, that would lean towards Spanish. If he wants a lesser spoken language to be unique, French would be the better of the two, though a lot of people speak both, so either one is "fairly popular." Plan on moving to Spain(or probably Mexico since I believe the Spanish taught in America is more Mexico-oriented) or France? Pick the respective language. Really depends on circumstances like that. Are those the only two offered?

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 12:44pm

killersup10

killersup10

1,786 posts

It is required that Killersup takes a foreign language in high-school. Killersup's school also only has those two languages. Killersup would prefer to do french, but that is only because he has a second mind in his stomach that is telling him that...

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 5:31pm

DancesWithFoxes

DancesWithFoxes

58 posts

Spanish is a really easy language to pick up on.  I took it for two years and it's easy to catch on to.  If you want a more challenging language then I say take French. It's more complex to pronounce the words and use them correctly in sentences than Spanish.

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 6:59pm

daleks

daleks

3,212 posts

Spanish is a really easy language to pick up on.  I took it for two years and it's easy to catch on to.

*Shoots DWF and finds gray matter that holds key to learning other languages*

Spanish is the easier of the two, but you might still find it hard. I know I did and still do. Whatever though, I have people for most languages.

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 7:52pm

sourwhatup2

sourwhatup2

3,255 posts

Spanish is the easier of the two, but you might still find it hard.

It just depends on how dedicated you are. And the type of person you are I guess.

But from what I've learnt, if it's not your language it's difficult. I've heard that from several people all over the world. Lol.

But to be honest even though I've known Spanish since I was a kid, I still believe that Spanish, talking not writing, is a pretty easy language to learn. When it comes to writing there are some things that throw you off... xD To this day after 18 years of knowing Spanish I still have difficulty of pronouncing words, or finding out what one word means in Spanish from English. And I have spent years in Spanish speaking countries and still have trouble with it. xD

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 8:32pm

hardigra

hardigra

191 posts

It just depends on how dedicated you are. And the type of person you are I guess.

I heard a statistic suggesting that English and Mandarin (or Chinese, take your pick; i personally dont know the difference) are the two hardest languages to take. I think the study was conducted by survey.....
I believe English to be a hard language, though, considering I'm taking Spanish..... It kind of pokes out at how odd the English language can be sometimes. (like how in english there can be two words spelled exatcly the same way {read} and mean two different things.

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 8:44pm

Osumnis

Osumnis

325 posts

Take both. You won't regret not taking the other language, then. But if you can't or don't want to, take whatever you like the best. In the end, you probably won't be needing either language, anyway. Almost everyone speaks English. (Personally, I prefer Spanish, and I guess if you plan on travelling a lot Spanish  might be more useful).

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 8:51pm

hardigra

hardigra

191 posts

Personally, I prefer Spanish, and I guess if you plan on travelling a lot Spanish  might be more useful).

Pros to Spanish= Like you said, Spanish is more universal to an average American, although it would work in Europe as well, especially if you live in or near Spain...

Pros to Chinese= If you're an American, we are trading with the Chinese more and more, so learning Chinese might help you in the future, depending on what type of career you are planning to go for

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 9:46pm

daleks

daleks

3,212 posts

I heard a statistic suggesting that English and Mandarin (or Chinese, take your pick; i personally dont know the difference) are the two hardest languages to take.

Of course they are. English is tough because it will set up rules but then beak them like crazy. Mandarin is a tonal language so you could say the same word the same way at a different pitch and total change the meaning.

I think that Mandarin is a form of Chinese but there are other versions of Chinese. Not 100% sure though.

Reply to High-school language class picks.

You must be logged in to post a reply!