Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

High-school language class picks.

Posted Jan 31, '13 at 3:06am

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,800 posts

Mandarin is one of four main Chinese subcategories. The subcategories don't mesh well enough to just be lumped together, so Mandarin is Chinese, but Chinese is not necessarily Mandarin. Whole rectangle/square dilemma.

Anyway, Chinese isn't offered at his school anyway, so it's just between Spanish and French now that he clarified.

Personally I like Osumnis' idea. If you have the credit space to take both, do it, and find out which you prefer. Then you can easily make the decision yourself

Posted Jan 31, '13 at 1:44pm

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,924 posts

Also Spanish is very similar to Italian.

Italian is hard to me,so Spanish is hard for me too.I would pick French,it's a lot easier,but BEWARE the accent.

fashion

That's Paris.Paris is the fashion Jerusalem.France is known croissant's that didn't originate from France.

Posted Jan 31, '13 at 5:14pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

Ah, yes. 8th grade. Selecting your electives.

When I chose Spanish over German some years ago, I feared I had made a major mistake. Frankly, I was dead wrong. A few years later, I now have the ability to fluently speak with the second majority in America: the Spanish speakers.

No matter where you find yourself in life, you will find Spanish speakers - ESPECIALLY if you live in the south. Hell, I live in the middle of freaking nowhere and I encounter Spanish speakers daily.

Or you could take French and maybe, just maybe, use it once before you completely forget the entire language.

Posted Jan 31, '13 at 6:50pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

4,744 posts

Oh, hey ace, back from the dead are you?

Spanish all the way, it's similar to Latin which I've taken and it wasn't too hard. Also, I've heard stories, you don't want to communicate with much of the French.

Posted Jan 31, '13 at 11:16pm

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,800 posts

Also, I've heard stories, you don't want to communicate with much of the French.

Very true. Especially if you're in actual France, and you're American. They'll pretend to help you, but will actually get you lost, make you lose money from wrong routes, and will laugh about it while calling you fat while you can't understand them, even if you know the language, since learning a full accent is sometimes difficult. :P

Posted Feb 2, '13 at 10:35am

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,924 posts

Ah, yes. 8th grade. Selecting your electives.

In my country we select electives from the 5th grade.I picked French,because who loves Russian?Yes,you heard me Russian.In bigger schools,you can choose even between German and Italian.Oh,and by the way,French is easy.You'd probably get along better with French.You all are picking Spanish just because of the stereotypes that are related to French people.

Reply to High-school language class picks.

You must be logged in to post a reply!