Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Why MLP: FiM is overrated.

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 3:38pm

firedog12

firedog12

248 posts

Here are the reasons why I think it's overrated:
1. Well, for starters the personalities of the Mane 6 are all clichés that have been used in other cartoons or they're stereotypes of those type of people. I mean, just because a girl (or pony) is raised in a farm doesn't mean all she does in her life is bake everything that has to do with apples.

2. The plots for all the episodes of season 1-2 are cliché too. They're all things that has happened in other cartoons.

3. It's not that funny. I mean there are jokes here and there that are hilarious (most of them are made by Pinkie Pie) but the cartoon doesn't give the funniest jokes.

Just my personal opinion on this show. By the way, I used to be a brony so please don't comment saying i'm prejudice because i've seen every episode of season 1 & 2 and that is what I think of it. I posted this to tell people that this isn't the best show in the world. In fact, I wouldn't even put this show in my list of my favorite cartoons. I'm just sharing my opinion, please respect mines & I will respect yours.

P.S. I know this show isn't a little girls show!

Posted Jan 31, '13 at 12:12am

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,354 posts

Oh man, if you felt that ay about seasons 1 and 2, you should watch season 3.

It is more horrible than you could possibly imagine. Never have I seen a show fall as far or as fast as this one, and I saw every season of Heroes.

Posted Jan 31, '13 at 9:16am

Avorne

Avorne

3,265 posts

In fairness, many TV writers rely on typical character stereotypes in order to flesh out the people (or ponies) in their show, so you can't hold that too heavily against them.

However, I do think that the level to which MLP has been made some sort of untouchable work of perfection by bronies is silly, it's a TV show about ponies that displays an over-reliance on worn out tropes and the character stereotypes we mentioned earlier.

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 6:59am

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,800 posts

The only reason I figured out what "MLP: FiM" stood for was because I saw the other thread about seeking ArmorGames bronies. xD

I haven't seen ANYTHING relating to My Little Ponies, so maybe I don't have room to say this, but I also think this hype is a tad overrated. One dark day I considered seeing what he fuss was about...and then I returned to my senses and said "Not today; I shall live on." I'm all for weird humor, random humor, and sketchy humor, and if there's any of that in the show, great. However, regardless of whether or not the show is intended for young girls, the toys definitely are. Originally a toy, so the original audience is what I stick to.

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 5:30pm

tally7

tally7

8 posts

Uh, it's a show for five to eight year old girls. It's not supposed to be completely amazing with amazing characters and amazing jokes.

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 7:35pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,505 posts

You have to keep in mind that the show's purpose is to teach kids to be good. All the Season 1 and 2 episodes are "cliche" because they're all basic lessons for kids. What other story lines could they use? Do you honestly think you could come up with 26 original, non-cliche plot lines for pre-teens?

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 9:05pm

firedog12

firedog12

248 posts

Uh, it's a show for five to eight year old girls.

ORLY? It's a show for five to eight year old girls huh? I never knew that a show aimed for five to 8 year old girls had a joke about putting drugs in someone's drink. (Season 1 episode 24 episode name: Owl's well that ends well.) Try at least watching the show first before you say that it's a show aimed for girls.

It's not supposed to be completely amazing with amazing characters and amazing jokes.

First of all, I wasn't reviewing the show by saying that jokes need work on them. I was giving reasons why it isn't the best show ever by saying that the jokes aren't that funny. So many people think it's a perfect show and I was giving reasons why it's not a perfect show. Second of all, since when did I say anything about the personalities of the Mane 6 not being amazing? I just said that they've been overused in other cartoons. (Which they have.) That doesn't mean they don't have amazing personalities. They actually have very likable personalities.

You have to keep in mind that the show's purpose is to teach kids to be good. All the Season 1 and 2 episodes are "cliche" because they're all basic lessons for kids. What other story lines could they use? Do you honestly think you could come up with 26 original, non-cliche plot lines for pre-teens?

Well, actually Matt, that's when you're wrong. The morals for each episode are actually life lessons that little kids, pre-teens, teens, and adults can relate to. Also, this show isn't a little girls show. There are no little kid plots like, I don't know, helping a kid with his cat stuck in his tree or something. These are plots that are for older kids (like 8 year old and up.) They've just been used in other cartoons. I have a feeling you haven't watched this show at all have you?

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 9:34pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Dude. It's a show marketed for young girls and made for young girls. That much is plain to see in the aesthetic and nature of the show. It's based on kids' toys and aired on a children's channel. You cannot argue that point.

I'm sure it's well written and contains some nice, educational messages, but I'm also quite sure you're reading into it much more deeply than was originally intended by its creators, and that your response to it speaks more of you, and your interpretative tendencies, than of the show itself.

Maybe take a step back and see it from everyone else's perspective, a rational perspective. And maybe not think that everyone just dismisses it blindly because it's a kids show, because that's just as blindly dismissive.

Posted Feb 3, '13 at 9:43pm

firedog12

firedog12

248 posts

Dude. It's a show marketed for young girls and made for young girls. That much is plain to see in the aesthetic and nature of the show. It's based on kids' toys and aired on a children's channel. You cannot argue that point.

I'm sure it's well written and contains some nice, educational messages, but I'm also quite sure you're reading into it much more deeply than was originally intended by its creators, and that your response to it speaks more of you, and your interpretative tendencies, than of the show itself.

Maybe take a step back and see it from everyone else's perspective, a rational perspective. And maybe not think that everyone just dismisses it blindly because it's a kids show, because that's just as blindly dismissive.

I guess you have a point. Sorry if I came off as an ignorant person who only cares about my own opinion and no one else's.

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 12:37am

Squidbears

Squidbears

653 posts

I watched the first two seasons and I must say I enjoyed them immensely. However, I value Xzeno's opinion over anybody else's on here, and if he expresses the level of disdain shown here, then I must accept that the show has spiraled out of control. I will not be continuing to watch it, but forever shall I keep in mind the lessons taught. I bid thee adieu My Little Pony, but it will always be remembered that Friendship IS magic.

Reply to Why MLP: FiM is overrated.

You must be logged in to post a reply!