Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Why MLP: FiM is overrated.

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 12:57am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,230 posts

1. Well, for starters the personalities of the Mane 6 are all clichés that have been used in other cartoons or they're stereotypes of those type of people. I mean, just because a girl (or pony) is raised in a farm doesn't mean all she does in her life is bake everything that has to do with apples.

Keep in mind though..throughout the history of storytelling, clichés have always been in use. In fact, almost every character used has some basis about them that is cliché

Take The Canterbury Tales, for example. Every single character in the book is solely based on cliché characteristics of the time..but this wasn't due to laziness on Chaucer's part..it was because those cliché characteristics are easily related throughout everyone. Even today we can find people that are like the Nun, or the monk, or The Wife of Bath, etc

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 1:04am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

ORLY? It's a show for five to eight year old girls huh? I never knew that a show aimed for five to 8 year old girls had a joke about putting drugs in someone's drink. (Season 1 episode 24 episode name: Owl's well that ends well.) Try at least watching the show first before you say that it's a show aimed for girls.

We wouldn't know, we don't pay avid attention a little girl's show.

Well, actually Matt, that's when you're wrong. The morals for each episode are actually life lessons that little kids, pre-teens, teens, and adults can relate to. Also, this show isn't a little girls show. There are no little kid plots like, I don't know, helping a kid with his cat stuck in his tree or something. These are plots that are for older kids (like 8 year old and up.) They've just been used in other cartoons. I have a feeling you haven't watched this show at all have you?

And what about the thousands of other cartoons that use similar plots and the same life lessons? Why do they not have a ridiculous and overrated fanbase? Answer me that.

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 1:51am

Squidbears

Squidbears

652 posts

we don't pay avid attention a little girl's show.

It's not a little girl's show, rather, just a television program. Debasing people for liking something because it is traditionally looked at as feminine is disparaging. Girls can play with trucks, and boys can play with dolls. It's not odd.

And what about the thousands of other cartoons that use similar plots and the same life lessons? Why do they not have a ridiculous and overrated fanbase? Answer me that.

That probably has something to do with the stellar voice acting, paramount animation, and extraordinarily catchy music.

Is MLP:FiM overrated? Yes. The fan base got a little bit out of control, but that does not detract from the value that the program did have.

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 2:04am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,230 posts

It's not a little girl's show, rather, just a television program. Debasing people for liking something because it is traditionally looked at as feminine is disparaging. Girls can play with trucks, and boys can play with dolls. It's not odd.

The show was originally aimed for a younger (and more female) demographic, however. After some time..the makers of the show noticed that their demographic of viewership was much different than expected (male teens being one the of the primary groupings) and began to slip in some content for them (like the example firedog gave)

That probably has something to do with the stellar voice acting, paramount animation, and extraordinarily catchy music.

And don't forget 4chan
We must all give thanks to the user that decided to bump his own thread about MLP *bows head in prayer* thank you based god

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 7:03am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Is MLP:FiM overrated? Yes. The fan base got a little bit out of control, but that does not detract from the value that the program did have.

I could say the same thing for Team Fortress 2, the only difference being it is not overrated.

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 10:26am

Squidbears

Squidbears

652 posts

The show was originally aimed for a younger (and more female) demographic, however.

Being marketed mainly to females does not make it a girls show though. They also market yogurt towards women, and I don't know about you, but I love me some yogurt.

And don't forget 4chan

Mods are asleep! Post Ponies!

I could say the same thing for Team Fortress 2

Liking something does not prevent it from being overrated, TF2 is overrated.

thank you based god

Stay based my friends

Posted Feb 5, '13 at 4:49am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Liking something does not prevent it from being overrated, TF2 is overrated.

I did not say I liked TF2, but considering its popularity and its innovation (Let us not forget, MLP is not particularly innovative) your logic does not apply. There are a great many things, shows, games, etc that have good plots and good acting and all that nonsense, yet receive little attention. Meanwhile, a show marketed towards girls, which is in a girl's show, except for those of us who like girly things, gets more attention than history itself. Yes, MLP is overrated.

Posted Feb 5, '13 at 9:59am

Squidbears

Squidbears

652 posts

I did not say I liked TF2, but considering its popularity and its innovation

TF2 is hardly innovative and popularity does not preclude something from being overrated.

There are a great many things, shows, games, etc that have good plots and good acting and all that nonsense, yet receive little attention.

Good is an understatement of the quality of animation/acting that was displayed in the first 2 seasons of MLP:FiM. The voice acting AND animation in that show is incredible, leaps and bounds over pretty much every childrens show. It does not hurt that the people making this show have worked on shows like Codename Kids Next Door, The Powerpuff Girls, and Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends and know how to make a good cartoon.

Meanwhile, a show marketed towards girls, which is in a girl's show, except for those of us who like girly things

Did I fail to make it clear that there aren't boy shows and girl shows? It's just a childrens show. Like yogurt is just a food.

Yes, MLP is overrated.

I never argued against this. I've merely said that the value of the show cannot be reduced because of its eccentric fanbase.

Posted Feb 5, '13 at 12:07pm

xeano321

xeano321

2,545 posts

Knight

1. Well, for starters the personalities of the Mane 6 are all clichés that have been used in other cartoons or they're stereotypes of those type of people. I mean, just because a girl (or pony) is raised in a farm doesn't mean all she does in her life is bake everything that has to do with apples.

You're missing one point though. It's a cartoon. It's created by imagination, thus meaning anything is possible.

3. It's not that funny. I mean there are jokes here and there that are hilarious (most of them are made by Pinkie Pie) but the cartoon doesn't give the funniest jokes.

I don't believe it's meant to be a sitcom. I think it's supposed to convey life lessons, not just humor.

It is more horrible than you could possibly imagine.

I've watched every episode so far, and I don't really see a difference between season 3 and the others... It's all the same.

I never knew that a show aimed for five to 8 year old girls had a joke about putting drugs in someone's drink.

You talking about the punch being spiked? LoL It's merely a play on words, any little kid wouldn't even know what it means.

Posted Feb 5, '13 at 12:38pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,102 posts

I have a feeling you haven't watched this show at all have you?

I watched (and purchased on iTunes) the entire first season and watched half of season two.

Anyone remember "Arthur?" (answer: yes). That had 190 episodes and they were all lessons for kids (mostly. Some were kind of weird). I have to agree with Masterforger on that one.

Reply to Why MLP: FiM is overrated.

You must be logged in to post a reply!