ForumsThe TavernTabletop RPG Combat System That I Made, Need Revision

37 14622
hardigra
hardigra
189 posts
Nomad

OK, so I'm making a tabletop Role Playing Game, and I wanted to sort of make my own combat system.
I have sort of a rough draft, and I need help revising it so it can become better and have less flaws. If you could help me that would be great.
How it works
This system is largly automatic, so players don't really get to control their every action in combat. However, they can set a sort of auto attack pattern so they can control their character to a certain degree. If they character takes a substantial amount of damage, then i do let them control whether they choose to flee, keep fighting, use a potion, ect.... I do this because if you die in this game setting, then you really can't come back, which might be strict or harsh, but it would make people make better decisions with their character and they would sort of 'bond' with it.
Anyways, players hit points (or hearts) are in the range of 2-4. 2, for the more frail classes (like wizard or rouge) and 4 for the more tanky classes like the Guardian.
At the start of the battle, players would roll a d20, or i would for them, and the enemy would roll this also a d20. This detirmines who goes first at the start of the battle (kind of like rolling initiative in D&D). If they get the same number, then monster goes first. (also kind of cruel on the players, but then again, most likely the monster will know their own territory you're invading) If it is Player vs Player Combat, then i just re-roll.
So lets say Bob the Builder is facing an evil creature, lets say the Keebler elf. Bob rolls a 14 for his initiative and Keebler rolls a 4. Bob goes first.
Bob's player attacks the Keebler elf. Bob's To-Hit-Bonus (or THB) is a +3 (that +3 comes from his weapon, lets say a rusty shovel). So he rolls another d20, lets say 10, and adds his +3 THB, along with any other bonus, and that would be his total Attack Value. In this case its 13.
The Keebler Elf does the same thing, and adds his To-Block-Bonus (TBB), usually coming from armor or potions. So lets say that Keebler gets like a 16. He would have blocked the attack, therefore ending Bob's turn and giving Keebler an attempt to strike now.
But let's say Bob got like an 18, so he beat Keebler's 16. He would deal one heart of damage to Keebler(or depending on the type of weapon he has he might do more). Normal low level creatures have one heart, so Keebler would be dead and Bob would loot the elf's cookies and sweets in his inventory.
On the roll of a 1 or 20, that is an automatic critical or failure. On a 20, you automatically block the attack or hit the target. On a one, well, you can probably guess that you automatically miss the target or don't block the attack. If both people get a 20, or if both people get a 1, then that is a stalemate and the round is over and its the next person's turn.

That should be all..... There is no leveling up in this system for different reasons, but you do keep track of your xp for questing purposes, like you might need an xp count for doing a certain quest or task.
You do't gain any xp for killing a foe or completing a task that is extreamly easy to you, that way farming low level people is reduced.
Ok, feedback is well wanted and if I didn't mention something clearly, comment and i will make it clearer.

• 37 Replies
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

I never really have played a good adventure though.

thats because of how in-depth and structured those books are.

My goal, in the long run, is to publish this system of roleplaying. However, you guys would get tons of credit becuase after the beta, this game could almost be a polar oopposite if it fails so much.

well, i checked out the other 3 on the beta testing, and it looks like i'm getting most credit right now cause they arent posting anything (besides you of course)

and i really dont think this will be popular, but it could start as a forum game sucess then groe from there...
hardigra
hardigra
189 posts
Nomad

thats because of how in-depth and structured those books are.

Not really, its more on the fact that Ive never had really anyone to play with.

well, i checked out the other 3 on the beta testing, and it looks like i'm getting most credit right now cause they arent posting anything (besides you of course)

What are they?
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

What are they?

you should know. there on your wall. mattemangel, dragonball, me, and blazingzelda.

you still need one more person, its all on your wall man.

Not really, its more on the fact that Ive never had really anyone to play with.

that sucks. hopefully we give you a better game.
hardigra
hardigra
189 posts
Nomad

Oh thats what you meant. I thought you meant you were playesting three other games my bad.

How did the body hit die system work? You were talking about it earlier.... I expiremented with making a system involving that about a year ago, but I never shared it and I gave up on it. But the idea of using a dice like the one below is really intruiging and original, I think.
http://www.creativemountaingames.com/2011/07/12-sided-die-with-hit-locations.html

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

I just didn't have anything else I felt knowledgeable enough to suggest changes to. Plus, anything I thought could be changed doesn't necessarily need changed and I wanted to see it in action when I helped with the beta test. :P
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

How did the body hit die system work? You were talking about it earlier.... I expiremented with making a system involving that about a year ago, but I never shared it and I gave up on it.

it works like this: (simulation of a small portion of my DM combat)
DM: (me): the centurion is ready to attack you but you have the slight speed advantage (initiative). what are you going to do?
player: i'm going to just hack at this thing's neck and try for a decapitation
DM: roll for it
(player rolls a 17)
DM:you charge at the centurian full speed and you just slice its head straight off at the neck. blood squirts all over you its just terrible. the centurian falls, and you gain 50 exp (high amount)

thats just a basic simulation of a very quick and favored battle towards the player. other things like skill exp that the player would gain i'm not going to show.

your link didnt work but i copy/pasted and found it on google. thats a very randomized way to do things, i let the player aim for the body part they are attacking.

I just didn't have anything else I felt knowledgeable enough to suggest changes to. Plus, anything I thought could be changed doesn't necessarily need changed and I wanted to see it in action when I helped with the beta test. :P

will this is a feedback forum, you might as well say what you think :P
hardigra
hardigra
189 posts
Nomad

thats a very randomized way to do things, i let the player aim for the body part they are attacking.

I thought you did have a body dice so i was interested on how that system worked.

That system with instant-kills reminds me of GURPS combat, where well placed attacks can usually be fatal. I was trying to hint at that sort of difficulty int his game where you only start with 2-4 Hearts.
Anyways, I might make Tales of Erabor fit the genre of Fantasy-Horror instead of just Fantasy, because at least attempting to make a vivid, scary game for people is fun.
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

That system with instant-kills

its not insta-kill, its decapitation.
difference

reminds me of GURPS combat,

what the hell is GURPS?

Anyways, I might make Tales of Erabor fit the genre of Fantasy-Horror instead of just Fantasy, because at least attempting to make a vivid, scary game for people is fun.

eh that takes the RPG effect down a level because people start to wonder more about whats around that corner then how there gonna handle it. you probably dont understand what thats supposed to mean but its hard to explain.
hardigra
hardigra
189 posts
Nomad

its not insta-kill, its decapitation.
difference

Ok..... Insta-kill if you hit them in the neck with a sword... Maybe not an insta-kill if you just take off their left hand..
what the hell is GURPS?

Generic Universal RolePlaying System, heres a link to their website. It is a pretty popular game system, i think at least.
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/

eh that takes the RPG effect down a level because people start to wonder more about whats around that corner then how there gonna handle it.

Oh I know what you mean. I think a Fantasy Horror RPG would have to be a different project.
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

Oh I know what you mean. I think a Fantasy Horror RPG would have to be a different project.

agreed.

again, if your pointing in a link you need to use the blue link button and enter the URL in the popup, and whatever you have highlighted will become the link.

now you can know.
hardigra
hardigra
189 posts
Nomad

LIKE THIS?
[url=http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/]

Well you know what GURPS is now

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

LIKE THIS?
[url=http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/]

Well you know what GURPS is now

lol you dont understand how to URL.
that didnt work
hardigra
hardigra
189 posts
Nomad

Crap. This better work.
[url=sjgames.com/gurps]
Tadaa??

Anyways.... If you have an Ipod and/or you can download podcasts, you should check out the Happy Jacks RPG Podcast. They are pretty funny and very educational about different GM do's and don'ts to make gaming sessions more awesome.

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

[url=http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/]Test you want to appear as the link] with a [/url] at the end.

I think I fixed that correctly for you to see what should be done for the links, hopefully the layering didn't screw it up.

Anyway, about the die with the link you poster with body parts on the different sides. I do agree it would be interesting and unique, but wouldn't that make the attacking a bit too random for how realistic you want this? Sure it'd be fun, but with an equal chance of hitting each body part, even if the player were to prefer a certain body part, would cause the player to have poor aim :P

hardigra
hardigra
189 posts
Nomad

Anyway, about the die with the link you poster with body parts on the different sides. I do agree it would be interesting and unique, but wouldn't that make the attacking a bit too random for how realistic you want this? Sure it'd be fun, but with an equal chance of hitting each body part, even if the player were to prefer a certain body part, would cause the player to have poor aim :P

Exactly, maybe if you are being tacked while shooting a handcrossbow or something it would work, but in melee combat, someone could do some epic ability and kneel down and hit them in the foot.
Showing 16-30 of 37