Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

boy scouts and their antigay campaign

Posted Feb 7, '14 at 2:19pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,777 posts

Let's please stick to any arguments on offer or at least the relevant subject matter. This back and forth has to stop.

Posted Feb 7, '14 at 6:35pm

Fiends

Fiends

112 posts

Let's please stick to any arguments on offer or at least the relevant subject matter. This back and forth has to stop.

Agreed.

The boy scout thing is pointless now they are a LOT less popular than they were 50 years ago. Camping, hiking, backpacking, shooting, hunting, woodscrafts, fieldcraft, etc. are a LOT less available. And even those who do many of those things find they are much easier/less painful to do because of advances in technology (cellphones, GPS, better insulated clothing, sleeping bags, water proof tents, etc). Part of becoming a man is learning to "suck it up" and not complain when in difficult circumstances.

Posted Feb 7, '14 at 7:01pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,266 posts

The boy scout thing is pointless now they are a LOT less popular than they were 50 years ago.

Nevertheless they are a large group pushing an antigay campaign.

Part of becoming a man is learning to "suck it up" and not complain when in difficult circumstances.

Ah yes, who doesn't love some good old gender roles.

Posted Feb 7, '14 at 9:02pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

To get back on track, I'd like to present a prompt.

Homosexuality's naturalism is often debated. Some believe homosexuality is natural because it occurs without deliberate interference or insinuation. Others believe it is unnatural because they believe each sex was intended for the other, it is not functional for reproduction, or religious beliefs. Of course, this is a broad generalization, so do not limit yourself to the reasons listed.

Using the prompt above, answer the following questions:
         a. Which side do you support, if any? Why?
         b. Are there any semantic differences involved? If so, what difference(s) do they make?
         c. How does the prompt relate to the thread topic?

Posted Feb 7, '14 at 9:56pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,672 posts

Knight

it is not functional for reproduction, or religious beliefs.

I would say this is inaccurate as it's not just used or functional for reproduction. As for the religious beliefs, my level of expressed empathy towards the statements of the various belief systems in this regard is on par with the gluteus maximus of a small mammal within the rodentia order.

Posted Feb 7, '14 at 10:08pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I would say this is inaccurate as it's not just used or functional for reproduction.

This is true, which is why I said,

Of course, this is a broad generalization, so do not limit yourself to the reasons listed.

But it was good of you to mention that. Sexual activity can also be used for stress release, exercise, fun, psychological relations, and more things I am forgetting.

Posted Feb 9, '14 at 4:36am

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,915 posts

Nah, if i were a homophobe that would mean that i'm afraid of 'em, but really i just can't stand them.

some people dont even realise what a phobia is. fear isnt a simple emotion where your just afraid of something and thats it.

a phobia can also just make you feel awfully uncomfortable near the object.

im hemophobic (blood). obviously im not afraid of it. i cant stand it though. the sight of it, the colour of it, sometimes just the thought of it. it makes me feel very uncomfortable/grossed out. those are just forms of fear.

so even if your logical enough to understand that homosexuality wont hurt your well being even just feeling uncomfortable or disgusted for no logical reason still counts as a pohobia.

No Homophobe will ever admit to being a homophobe.

i met a few. not many but still, it exists. at least they can say/admit it

Posted Feb 15, '14 at 2:46am

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

I'm going to put the boy scout matter to bed here.

the boy scouts were originally founded without any of these restrictions against athesim, and homosexuality. this changed in the 1980s when the religious, specifically the mormon church, hi-jacked the scouts and used their sheer numbers, and financial connections to bend the scouts to their will. this means that we shouldn't be aiming against the boy scouts, but the mormons pulling the strings.

I'm an eagle scout, and I was originally mormon. I didn't know about these things until after I deconverted. I never knew of these things because I was essentially the perfect candidate for the mormon scout program.

I now hate being an eagle scout more than ever, and if I had the chance, I would rip the scouts away from the fingers of the tax-exempt cult that is mormonism.

now continue on with the homophobia debate.

-Blade

Posted Feb 15, '14 at 3:06am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,266 posts

I am curious on that Blade..do you have a source I could read on the take over?

Posted Feb 15, '14 at 3:22am

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

I am curious on that Blade..do you have a source I could read on the take over?

the only thing I have that talks about this is penn and teller's show. its on youtube. here you go.

it's very coarse in language, and has some nudity. fair warning.

-Blade

Reply to boy scouts and their antigay campaign

You must be logged in to post a reply!