ForumsWEPRboy scouts and their antigay campaign

116 45787
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

I am a boyscout, however i hate their antigay policy i was wondering if any other scouts wanted to weigh in on this

• 116 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

Nah, if i were a homophobe that would mean that i'm afraid of 'em, but really i just can't stand them.

some people dont even realise what a phobia is. fear isnt a simple emotion where your just afraid of something and thats it.

a phobia can also just make you feel awfully uncomfortable near the object.

im hemophobic (blood). obviously im not afraid of it. i cant stand it though. the sight of it, the colour of it, sometimes just the thought of it. it makes me feel very uncomfortable/grossed out. those are just forms of fear.

so even if your logical enough to understand that homosexuality wont hurt your well being even just feeling uncomfortable or disgusted for no logical reason still counts as a pohobia.

No Homophobe will ever admit to being a homophobe.

i met a few. not many but still, it exists. at least they can say/admit it
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I'm going to put the boy scout matter to bed here.

the boy scouts were originally founded without any of these restrictions against athesim, and homosexuality. this changed in the 1980s when the religious, specifically the mormon church, hi-jacked the scouts and used their sheer numbers, and financial connections to bend the scouts to their will. this means that we shouldn't be aiming against the boy scouts, but the mormons pulling the strings.

I'm an eagle scout, and I was originally mormon. I didn't know about these things until after I deconverted. I never knew of these things because I was essentially the perfect candidate for the mormon scout program.

I now hate being an eagle scout more than ever, and if I had the chance, I would rip the scouts away from the fingers of the tax-exempt cult that is mormonism.

now continue on with the homophobia debate.

-Blade

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I am curious on that Blade..do you have a source I could read on the take over?

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I am curious on that Blade..do you have a source I could read on the take over?

the only thing I have that talks about this is penn and teller's show. its on youtube. here you go.

it's very coarse in language, and has some nudity. fair warning.

-Blade
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

The world organisation of the scouting movement describes Scouting as

...a voluntary nonpolitical educational movement for young people open to all without distinction of origin, race or creed, in accordance with the purpose, principles and method conceived by the Founder (Baden-Powell)..." "It is the goal of Scouting "to contribute to the development of young people in achieving their full physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potentials as individuals, as responsible citizens and as members of their local, national and international communities.
romrafan
romrafan
1 posts
Nomad

why do ppl had to be gays anyway? I mean it's a mental problem if one organism preferred the same organism with the same sex

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Naw, I'm pretty certain there is evidence that throws doubt into the ''mentality'' argument. :3

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

a mental problem

Problem? How is it a problem?
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Problem? How is it a problem?

It could qualify as a problem if it were widespread in an endangered non-hermaphrodite species, but not in any other scenario.
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

While I do not agree with their banning of homosexual people from participation in boy scouts. It is a private company, and as such, could turn away people if they so desire. I think they should allow gay people, but I don't think they should be forced to allow gay people and I do not think they should be forced to accommodate just because the LGBT community is in an uproar about it.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

While I do not agree with their banning of homosexual people from participation in boy scouts. It is a private company, and as such, could turn away people if they so desire. I think they should allow gay people, but I don't think they should be forced to allow gay people and I do not think they should be forced to accommodate just because the LGBT community is in an uproar about it.

That would be fair, if the boyscouts were actually a private organization. The boyscouts actually receive government subsidies, and usually receive access to government funded facilities for free, or incredibly low prices. These places involve schools, courthouses, military forts, and so much more.

For them to act like a private company when they want to exclude people, but act like a public service when they want money is dishonest, and shouldn't be allowed.

-Blade
Showing 106-116 of 116