ForumsWEPRafterlife

57 21926
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

im an atheist and my grandfather died recently. now i am soo scared i will never see or hear him again help

• 57 Replies
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

why would it be to late?
we could just aswell have a good laugh whit god about
A: how he deceived the atheists whit the univers/life/everything. and how he keeps hiding himself.
B: how the theists have thrown their free will away during life for no good reason. it's just 1 big party in heaven anyway. =P

That actually touches on something interesting I've thought. If there is a god, maybe it doesn't want us to believe that it exists since it hasn't been demonstrated. Maybe this god values intellectual honesty.
If post-life is the way you described, I wouldn't mind that so much. Still, if this is the god that flooded the world and sanctioned slavery, I might be a little sad to learn that he's real. :/
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Still, if this is the god that flooded the world and sanctioned slavery, I might be a little sad to learn that he's real. :/

if so, there might be a good reason for it. i could go hypothetically here and find some reason myself. but if i would write that down then it would sound like a fairy tale. =P

or it is just not true and we laugh some more about the theists.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

For some reason I just imagined a bunch of Boos from Mario having a party, then all swarming together into one large Boo.

Isn't there an asiatic teaching or religion saying after death, we all merge with a sort of divine entity/mash, becoming part of it, losing individuality? Sounds a lot like that :P

Maybe it's something like that?

I always imagined it pretty much similar to the Greek Hades, but with the illusion of humaneness, i.e. shades look like people, grey wasteland looks like an earthly paradise, etc.

if so, there might be a good reason for it. i could go hypothetically here and find some reason myself. but if i would write that down then it would sound like a fairy tale. =P

Or he could just be one of those many sadistic and powerhungry gods that only want humans to worship him and give him sacrifices.
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

You should not be scared because there is an afterlife. I know that everyone going to be all mad at me for saying this and they will be like Whats your proof and all the stupid stuff but I think that you should not be scared.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

You should not be scared because there is an afterlife

Why is an afterlife a reason not to be scared?

I know that everyone going to be all mad at me for saying this and they will be like Whats your proof and all the stupid stuff

You're making a positive claim with certainty. If you've got nothing to back it up, why spout it? Further, why believe it?
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

Because I pray about that stuff and read the scriptures. And the reason not be scared because there is an Afterlife is because well there is eternal life and you can live with your family for ever. Then people like you try to change my opinion and you can not.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

And the reason not be scared because there is an Afterlife is because well there is eternal life and you can live with your family for ever

As Hahiha asked, how do you know that? If you had evidence that let you know it, others could see it to. And we'd all be Mormons. Except we're not, because no one has shown evidence that proves Mormonism is correct over other beliefs. For all you know any other religion is correct, or none of them are.

Then people like you try to change my opinion and you can not.

We can't change your 'opinion' because it's a closed loop. "I believe because I believe because I believe" and if anyone says otherwise you just "believe" you're right.
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

well the reasons I believe what I believe is that I feel something called the spirt or feel the holy ghost and the only way you can feel those things is to go to a true church.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

well the reasons I believe what I believe is that I feel something called the spirt or feel the holy ghost and the only way you can feel those things is to go to a true church.

Besides every religion having people claiming to have such feelings I have found people claiming similar feeling from watching science fiction. There are others still who have had such feeling by having magnetic stimuli directed to certain areas of the brain.

Besides this feelings can be a very inaccurate way to determine reality.
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

Well everybody fells the spirt in their own way.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

the only way you can feel those things is to go to a true church.

It really doesn't help credibility when you change your story from your last post.

Also this still leaves the issue of how feeling are poor indicators of reality. You can't say something is true because of emotional bias.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

So when a Hindu walks into a mondir and feels it, God's deceiving them into worshipping and believing in the devas?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

mondir

*Mandir
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Or he could just be one of those many sadistic and powerhungry gods that only want humans to worship him and give him sacrifices.

i hope i have free will in heaven. then i coud always just say FU god, i'll go check out lucifer. he might just aswell be a nice guy.

maybe thats why we have 7 billion people now. no souls want to be whit god anymore and have choosen to return back to life. =P
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

maybe thats why we have 7 billion people now. no souls want to be whit god anymore and have choosen to return back to life. =P

This somehow touches one of the reasons why I think reincarnation cannot be more than a nice idea.. population fluctuation doesn't reflect either a constant number of individuals, nor a continual increase due to "new" and "old" individuals.
Showing 31-45 of 57