Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

AG Search (What is Happening with This?)

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 9:08am

Reton8

Reton8

2,543 posts

Usually I search the forums on AG by going to Google and typing
"[search term] site:armorgames.com/community" 
Recently I've noticed that my searches don't pull up many results (when before the searches seemed far more thorough). Maybe because the move to AG3? What's happening?

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 5:00pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

The search has been improved to filter out irrelevant games.

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 5:42pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

I'm pretty sure that search engines aren't allowed to creep on armorgames.com/community/ anymore, or something to the effect. It all has to do with a file AG uploaded on the main domain called 'robots.txt'. It is, quite literally, for bots who creep the web, disallowing them to cache whatever urls are listed. That should mean that nothing of the community url should show up, but I'm not very well versed on the subject, so I could be wrong. :P

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 6:08pm

Reton8

Reton8

2,543 posts

That should mean that nothing of the community url should show up, but I'm not very well versed on the subject, so I could be wrong. :P

I've read similar sounding material. The bots creep the sites to put on Google.

The search has been improved to filter out irrelevant games.

I'm talking about searching the forums through Google. I used to do it a lot to avoid duplicate threads or to see where I have posted in the past. Recently I have notice much less results, thus jeol's explanation, which sounds very plausible.

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 6:10pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I'm talking about searching the forums through Google. I used to do it a lot to avoid duplicate threads or to see where I have posted in the past. Recently I have notice much less results, thus jeol's explanation, which sounds very plausible.

I thought you meant game results in the search. I send Google reports on stuff all the time and they write back sometimes. They told me they're trying to reduce the amount of game results when searching for "Community" because I complained. :P

Posted Feb 4, '13 at 7:01pm

boppins

boppins

515 posts

Administrator

We do indeed block /community in our robots.txt file.. but we have just discussed this, and decided to allow search engines back in.  The issue before were spammers clogging up our forums hoping to get their links some visibility, but we have better mod/admin presence now to deal with it (thank Ferret!)

Anyway, it will probably be a few days before (google) searching is really viable.

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 11:43am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,117 posts

Wait! Please! No! Have mercy!

These same bots would make one thread every couple minutes every day. We would wake up to find several fora hit with pages upon pages of ads! We may have more mods, but ****ed if we can maintain watch every few minutes of every day.

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 12:03pm

boppins

boppins

515 posts

Administrator

Well if it begins again we will take measures ;)

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 12:04pm

xeano321

xeano321

2,560 posts

Knight

These same bots would make one thread every couple minutes every day. We would wake up to find several fora hit with pages upon pages of ads! We may have more mods, but ****ed if we can maintain watch every few minutes of every day.

What's the panic? You guys can handle it freak ol' boy! That's your job.

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 1:23pm

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,062 posts

Last time bots hit this site it was pure chaos. From game comments being filled with ad spam, to forums being filled with pages upon pages of nonsensical jibberish and advertising, to captcha being the worst thing on this site in the history of armor games.

...I hope that doesn't happen again ;_;

Reply to AG Search (What is Happening with This?)

You must be logged in to post a reply!