Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

not believing means send to hell?

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 12:22pm

xAyjAy

xAyjAy

1,683 posts

let us say there could be places like heaven and hell...

..what would happen with people who can not believe after they die? what happens with people who never had the chance to believe anything after they died? what happens with people who forgot that there is a god (altzheimers) or people who are mentally handicapped or people in a coma when they die?

my point is that believe can not be the only "thing" that decides wether they get into heaven or hell (if these places even exist).

just a thought i had today.

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 12:51pm

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,915 posts

unfortunately you use logic which is something not many religions use.

most religions believe that if you dont believe you go streight to hell. some people ive asked who belong to those religions told me that those who didnt get a chance or cant believe will go to hell (which just proves how horibble it is since if people really believed that with a pure heart and good intentions they wouldnt ever teach or talk about their religion to increase the amount of people who go to heaven yet they go on and talk about their religion trying to "save" others from their loving god).

some believe that belief has nothing to do with where you are going and that it all depends on whether you are a good person or not.

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 12:52pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

The Parable of the Sheep and Goats (Matthew 25:31-46) says that good actions lead to rewards and bad actions or withholding assistance leads to suffering. Essentially, their hearts will be weighed, like in the religion of Ancient Egypt. In Ancient Egypt, only major wrongdoings were met with destruction, so neutrality would be considered good. Many claim God is as merciful. However, Hebrews 6:4-8 says that those who turned away from Him will not receive His blessing.

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 1:17pm

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,062 posts

Well, the Christian religion has many loopholes that don't explain or contradict certain subjects, like this for example. That's also one of the many reasons atheists go into such a deep debate with christians, which I think is pointless. If somebodies mind is so set into believing something so intensely, it's not my right to force him to believe my way of thinking.

most religions believe that if you dont believe you go streight to hell. some people ive asked who belong to those religions told me that those who didnt get a chance or cant believe will go to hell (which just proves how horibble it is since if people really believed that with a pure heart and good intentions they wouldnt ever teach or talk about their religion to increase the amount of people who go to heaven yet they go on and talk about their religion trying to "save" others from their loving god).

Those groups of people who take this to the extreme are delusional and unethical, which, unfortunately, isn't that rare. Especially in America where there are literally protests where homophobic people are shouting "Homosexuals are all going to hell!" or something in that sense. The best example would be the westboro baptist church.

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 2:22pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

at heavens gate, where st. peter will judge your life. you will see heaven and instantly know and acknowledge all the fairy tales. and there will be no more reason to not believe it. then st. peter will let you pass.

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 3:13pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,075 posts

Knight

However, Hebrews 6:4-8 says that those who turned away from Him will not receive His blessing.

How is the "turned away from him" to be understood? Does that include those that never heard of him or never believed, or does it only design the active process of losing faith?

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 3:33pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,266 posts

Catholic belief

Having mortal sins is what sends you to hell (if you don't confess them)

requirements for mortal sin
1: must be very serious
2: you must do it willingly
3: you must know how evil it is. (e.g. someone who doesn't think (insert atrocity here) is wrong would not be committing mortal sin.

turning away from sounds like they believed, but stop believing at a later date.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 4:54pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

How is the "turned away from him" to be understood?

It's explained in other places that it's those who were God-fearing, but went to other gods (or no gods) instead.

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 8:55pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,608 posts

I was brought up on the belief that if you never heard of the religion that has heaven and hell, then that rule of you not believing in the religion and therefore you have to go to hell dosen't apply.

My friends were brought up on the belief that you will go to heaven if you realize your sins and ask for forgiveness.

There is also the belief that if you don't beliee the religion even though you heard of it, you will go to hell. But personally I don't think Hell will really be that bad if it exists because it's basicly just the place where god isn't in (or so he says, even though he's everywhere) since you turned him away.

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 12:54am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

it's basicly just the place where god isn't

Revelation 20:15 says that they go to a lake of fire. The aforementioned parable confirms this "'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." Matthew 25:41

Reply to not believing means send to hell?

You must be logged in to post a reply!