Forums

ForumsVideo Games

Antichamber

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 12:09am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,365 posts

"Antichamber" is Valve's newest creation, available on Steam as of right now! If you've played anything by Valve, look this up.

Here's a quick explanation (after playing for a solid hour):
1. Take everything you know about Valve and all their brilliant games (Portal, Half Life, Team Fortress).
2. Take everything you know about video games and campaigns.
3. Take everything you know about solving puzzles and moving through levels (Portal)
4. Throw it away.

This thread is for anything relating to Antichamber. If you have questions, ask. If you have comments, post them. If you experienced having your brain ripped out, join the club.

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 12:15am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,365 posts

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/blizzy1/Antichamberpic_zps0ee8a170.jpg

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 12:41am

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,937 posts

It isn't made by Valve, you now that right?
Wait so is this a first person puzzle game? Kind of like portal or qube, neat.

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 12:44am

xNightwish

xNightwish

1,654 posts

Antichamber is not made by Valve...
It is made by Alexander Bruce.
But other than that. I love the game but didn't really think many people here know it so I just made a post in Games you should get.

But so far I haven't completed the game and you can say I kind of am stuck. Right now I'm doing every puzzle over and over to see if I missed things.
But I still like it. The puzzle's are weird and original although I have the idea that there is something I can't do, but I don't know what.

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 12:49am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,365 posts

Antichamber is not made by Valve...
It is made by Alexander Bruce.

*facepalm* I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. It was on Steam. I assumed Valve. Yes, a million other games on Steam are not made by Valve.

Hey, one person is better than none. Maybe we can encourage some other people to play. I....have no idea how far in I am. All I can say is I know I have a lot left to do (yay) and I have no idea how I'm going to do it.

No characters, no dialogue, no backstory, no story, no objectives. Nothing. Solve this puzzle. Now solve it differently. Oh, you failed? You were supposed to.

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 12:52am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,365 posts

Wait so is this a first person puzzle game? Kind of like portal or qube, neat.

Yeah, it's like Portal, except it has no characters, no dialogue, no story, no plot, no objectives, no distinct level progression, no achievements, no extra save slots and no texture. But it's one of the most addicting things I've ever played.

Again, sorry about the assumption. But the rules I posted still apply.

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 6:34am

xNightwish

xNightwish

1,654 posts

Well I admit I really think this is a great game. I now have the Green (2nd) gun which helped me solve a few puzzles but still I'm stuck.

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 10:18am

KentyBK

KentyBK

555 posts

Guess I'm the next person to join the club, although my opinion of the game isn't nearly as favorable as the other posts in this thread.

The beginning of the game is by far the best part and I suggest you don't spoil yourself if you think of buying the game. It's sort of like walking through an optical illusion and the game plays a few neat tricks on you.

But as soon as you pick up the gun, the game slowly turns into yet-another-game-with-block-puzzles. By the time you get the first upgrade (the green one), the game played most of it's tricks and it's mostly block puzzles from there. Massively wasted potential. Personally, I'd say it's too expensive at it's current price point and I suggest waiting for a sale. It's not particularly long either (took me about 4 hours to beat, but I didn't solve *all* the puzzles, just the vast majority of them).

no objectives, no distinct level progression

Not really, the basic progression is through the gun and its upgrades. There's a few ways of getting there, but I wouldn't say the game has no objectives.
---------------------
And that's my two cents.
For those that are struggling, I have a few tips.

- The puzzles are colour coded. As soon as you get the green gun, you can solve all the puzzles involving green blocks, etc.
- Use the map often, since it's by far the best way to get around
- As soon as you get the green gun, you can make an infinite amount of blocks, as long as you start with 8. I'll let you figure the rest out yourself. And yes, the game expects you to figure this out.

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 2:54pm

Crickster

Crickster

1,559 posts

i saw one of the yogcast play it and my brain could not handle the game but i would suggest it to others if they like puzzles

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 4:16pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

6,365 posts

It is technically a puzzle game, but it forces you to think completely different than any puzzle game you've ever played. You can go back into the exact same room after going past it and it will look completely different. It really, really messes with your mind.

I like the clues, though. You find clues written on small black monitors with a white sketched picture.

Yeah, it slowly becomes a block puzzle, but it's the insane simplicity of it that keeps you going. It's not like Portal, where every level is well-animated and gets more difficult. It's just straight lines and solid colors in an environment that is literally impossible.

Reply to Antichamber

You must be logged in to post a reply!