Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

how do u tell your parents you are an atheist

Posted Feb 12, '13 at 8:23pm

Blairlarson

Blairlarson

93 posts

Im just saying the Dark side of the Force because I am religious. I know some strong religious families that have allowed their child to become Atheist.

Posted Feb 12, '13 at 8:27pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,566 posts

Im just saying the Dark side of the Force because I am religious.

Yes, I get that. Except it's a false comparison. If you really want to look at it from a religious point of view, atheism is neutral.

It's like you have a favorite band and you go up to someone and tell them about it. They say they've never heard of it so you try to make them listen to some music. They say they don't really like it. Then either you stop there or start an argument because you think they should like it.

I know some strong religious families that have allowed their child to become Atheist.

The "allowed" part is what I'm getting at with not being understanding. Belief isn't something you pick and choose. Can you choose to at this very moment believe that aliens walk around on earth in plain sight? Almost certainly not.

Posted Feb 12, '13 at 8:34pm

Blairlarson

Blairlarson

93 posts

Ok the reason is said allowed for their child to become atheist is because they Allowed their child to become atheist.

Posted Feb 12, '13 at 9:32pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,566 posts

Ok the reason is said allowed for their child to become atheist is because they Allowed their child to become atheist.

It's not something for parents to "allow" or not. They don't get to make that choice. They can accept it, sure. Which is what you mean I am assuming.

Posted Feb 12, '13 at 9:35pm

Blairlarson

Blairlarson

93 posts

It's not something for parents to "allow" or not. They don't get to make that choice. They can accept it, sure. Which is what you mean I am assuming.

Yes that is what I meant. In better words the parents did not try to change the child's opinion.

Posted Feb 13, '13 at 5:59pm

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

Yes that is what I meant. In better words the parents did not try to change the child's opinion.

words spoken from those who haven't experienced this makes the speaker ignorant. you aren't an atheist so you have no idea.

the moment you tell your religious parents that you are one, their opinion of you drastically changes from respectable youth to problem child. they will then stop at nothing to bring you back into their fold. this will go on until they see just how steadfast the child is. it's not that they didn't try hard enough, it's that there's nothing that can be done once this view has blossomed.

-Blade

Posted Feb 13, '13 at 7:50pm

Squidbears

Squidbears

652 posts

the moment you tell your religious parents that you are one, their opinion of you drastically changes from respectable youth to problem child. they will then stop at nothing to bring you back into their fold. this will go on until they see just how steadfast the child is. it's not that they didn't try hard enough, it's that there's nothing that can be done once this view has blossomed

It's not quite fair to generalize all religious parents like that. My parents just kind of figured out I was an atheist and never confronted me about it. They accepted it even though they did not approve. There's certainly individuals who would behave in the fashion that you outlined, but not all religious parents would.

Posted Feb 13, '13 at 8:43pm

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,062 posts

Don't take it too seriously either though, thinking this piece of information will cause them to cast you aside as their son is ridiculous. Relax, take big breaths and casually but seriously relay them your choice of beliefs.

It also depends on the parents significantly, not all families have loving and understandable parents to accept ones beliefs. But if you think that it is important they know what you (don't) believe in, then tell them, the sooner the better.

Posted Feb 17, '13 at 4:03am

xgeogander

xgeogander

175 posts

just tell them. I always tell my parents that there's no God in this world.
my mom and dad are both religious. :D

Posted Feb 17, '13 at 7:45am

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,912 posts

It's not quite fair to generalize all religious parents like that.

exactly. not all parents are like that and not all religions follow the "your either with us or against us" path.

Reply to how do u tell your parents you are an atheist

You must be logged in to post a reply!