Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

how do u tell your parents you are an atheist

Posted Mar 16, '13 at 6:39am

infinight888

infinight888

41 posts

well i kinda have the same problem except my parents are catholic but i am christian...... there are  hardly any differences between them but i am still scared..... can someone help me out too?

Tell them you were ***** by a priest. They'll understand why you want to leave.

(I'm kidding. Seriously, don't do that.)

Posted Mar 16, '13 at 7:04am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

(I'm kidding. Seriously, don't do that.)

except if it's true ;)

Posted Mar 16, '13 at 12:12pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

well i kinda have the same problem except my parents are catholic but i am christian...... there are  hardly any differences between them but i am still scared..... can someone help me out too?

Catholics are Christian. I doubt your parents will care too much. What denomination do you follow by the way?

(What do you consider your beliefs to be.)

Posted Mar 16, '13 at 12:32pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

my parents are catholic but i am christian

How do they act around other Christians? Do they to say that Catholocism is the only path to God, or that being a Christian is enough? Are you following a specific denomination (Mormon/LDS, JW, etc)? Any differing tenets, such as nontrinitarianism, or is it more of a "just do good, be peaceful, find God your own way, etc" code of your own?

Posted May 18, '13 at 9:57am

mbbs112

mbbs112

174 posts

shame that a lot of people are atheists  anyway your parents probably showed you some TV shows or movies which put you in doubt or wrong religion  because Christianity has alot of wrong beliefs for example Jesus was the son of God,wrong Mary wasnt married but then Gabriel came and told her that God will bless her with a son who would have many abilities which people like you think is impossible for example...restoring the sight of blind people,creating birds out of clay and breathing life into them and speaking from the time he was a infant and he wasnt crucified,before they were about to crucify him God brought him to heaven alive

Posted May 18, '13 at 11:17am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

anyway your parents probably showed you some TV shows or movies which put you in doubt or wrong religion

Yes, at a young age I watched shows about Greek myths and other tales, and later applied the same scrutiny to my religious beliefs.

Posted May 18, '13 at 11:45am

mbbs112

mbbs112

174 posts

See what i mean?

Posted May 18, '13 at 11:49am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

See what i mean?

Are you saying Greek myths are true? How do you differentiate fantasy from reality?

Posted May 18, '13 at 1:10pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,673 posts

Knight

shame that a lot of people are atheists  anyway your parents probably showed you some TV shows or movies which put you in doubt or wrong religion

Had nothing to do with the programs I watched. I doubted because of the sheer lack of evidence, far fetched claims and contradictory claims to observation.

Are you saying Greek myths are true? How do you differentiate fantasy from reality?

Based on some of his other posts, I'm not entirely sure he does.

Posted May 18, '13 at 3:03pm

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

shame that a lot of people are atheists  anyway your parents probably showed you some TV shows or movies which put you in doubt or wrong religion  because Christianity has alot of wrong beliefs for example Jesus was the son of God,wrong Mary wasnt married but then Gabriel came and told her that God will bless her with a son who would have many abilities which people like you think is impossible for example...restoring the sight of blind people,creating birds out of clay and breathing life into them and speaking from the time he was a infant and he wasnt crucified,before they were about to crucify him God brought him to heaven alive

You have very little credibility when you call another religion wrong, because they have just as much a shot at being wrong as your religion is. For all you know the FSM is the true religion.

As for the atheist thing: just be honest with them, and don't back down should they try to intimidate you. They will respect you even more for being strong in your convictions.

-Blade

Reply to how do u tell your parents you are an atheist

You must be logged in to post a reply!