ForumsWEPRhow do u tell your parents you are an atheist

77 30991
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

my family arent very religious but I'm still scared to tell them i dont beleive god

• 77 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

well i kinda have the same problem except my parents are catholic but i am christian...... there are hardly any differences between them but i am still scared..... can someone help me out too?

Catholics are Christian. I doubt your parents will care too much. What denomination do you follow by the way?

(What do you consider your beliefs to be.)
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

my parents are catholic but i am christian

How do they act around other Christians? Do they to say that Catholocism is the only path to God, or that being a Christian is enough? Are you following a specific denomination (Mormon/LDS, JW, etc)? Any differing tenets, such as nontrinitarianism, or is it more of a "just do good, be peaceful, find God your own way, etc" code of your own?
mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

shame that a lot of people are atheists anyway your parents probably showed you some TV shows or movies which put you in doubt or wrong religion because Christianity has alot of wrong beliefs for example Jesus was the son of God,wrong Mary wasnt married but then Gabriel came and told her that God will bless her with a son who would have many abilities which people like you think is impossible for example...restoring the sight of blind people,creating birds out of clay and breathing life into them and speaking from the time he was a infant and he wasnt crucified,before they were about to crucify him God brought him to heaven alive

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

anyway your parents probably showed you some TV shows or movies which put you in doubt or wrong religion

Yes, at a young age I watched shows about Greek myths and other tales, and later applied the same scrutiny to my religious beliefs.
mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

See what i mean?

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

See what i mean?

Are you saying Greek myths are true? How do you differentiate fantasy from reality?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

shame that a lot of people are atheists anyway your parents probably showed you some TV shows or movies which put you in doubt or wrong religion

Had nothing to do with the programs I watched. I doubted because of the sheer lack of evidence, far fetched claims and contradictory claims to observation.

Are you saying Greek myths are true? How do you differentiate fantasy from reality?

Based on some of his other posts, I'm not entirely sure he does.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

shame that a lot of people are atheists anyway your parents probably showed you some TV shows or movies which put you in doubt or wrong religion because Christianity has alot of wrong beliefs for example Jesus was the son of God,wrong Mary wasnt married but then Gabriel came and told her that God will bless her with a son who would have many abilities which people like you think is impossible for example...restoring the sight of blind people,creating birds out of clay and breathing life into them and speaking from the time he was a infant and he wasnt crucified,before they were about to crucify him God brought him to heaven alive

You have very little credibility when you call another religion wrong, because they have just as much a shot at being wrong as your religion is. For all you know the FSM is the true religion.

As for the atheist thing: just be honest with them, and don't back down should they try to intimidate you. They will respect you even more for being strong in your convictions.

-Blade
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

As for the atheist thing: just be honest with them, and don't back down should they try to intimidate you.

Usually true unless they're hardcore about religion and you're too young to get a job. Money gives them a lot of leverage.

They will respect you even more for being strong in your convictions.

Or they think you're a hellspawn and treat you as such.
mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

shame on everyone who is a atheist and dont bother to reply because i aint gonna look anymore...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Shame on you for being intolerant. People like you, i.e, people who refuse to discuss properly, and resort to childish retorts are not welcome. Theists, atheists, people of all religious beliefs are welcome, so long as you can reason your views coherently and without ending up in displays of immaturity. You're not. So, bye.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

shame on everyone who is a atheist and dont bother to reply

it's not such a big deal to be a atheist in europe, i dont have any 1st hand experience whit parents getting mad because their child said, (s)he is a atheist.

so me replying to this topic will be kinda useless. i once did because i thought this topic was dumb. but then some1 showed me some video's how it can go.
so, shame on me for living in a tolerant free world.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

To answer the question, I was 11 or 12 yo when I told my mom that I didn't want to go to church anymore and if she forced me I would make a scene every time
Fortunately for me, neither of my parents were religious zealots.
The only times I went to church after that was because of funerals or to listen to organ concerts.

mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

Atheist are retards ........................................dont believe in god blah

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Atheist are retards ........................................dont believe in god blah

Someone who believes in an imaginary being is more likely to be considered not very smart. xD xD
Showing 31-45 of 77