Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

The Kraken is real!

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 7:17am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,004 posts

Knight

Really guys?There is a colossal squid?!This year,they found a new speciment called king-sized squid.

Yep. Colossal squid, the most massive squid known, though the giant squid has longer tentacles. And I found nothing on that king-sized squid, care to link me?

Here's an interesting blog entry about the other bizarre squids known next to Architeuthis and Mesonychoteuthis:
The Other Gigantic Squids

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 8:30am

Ishtaron

Ishtaron

63 posts

the chinese team achieved something great by actually getting a live specimen before the camera in their natural habitate, which had never been achieved before

That's not entirely true.  Like Bronze mentioned, a giant squid has been caught on tape before and it was made into a documentary on the discovery channel.  They used bait to see how the giant squid hunts and managed to accidentally hook one of the squids tentacles.  There's an eight armed 40 ft long squid out there plotting its revenge, we're all doomed.

Honestly, I thought that the giant squid and colossal squid (as well as the fact that they're poorly documented) were common knowledge.  Even biographies about Harry Houdini mention him escaping from the carcass of a preserved giant squid.  I didn't realize there were still so many people who didn't know giant and colossal squids were real.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 10:34am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,004 posts

Knight

That's not entirely true.  Like Bronze mentioned, a giant squid has been caught on tape before and it was made into a documentary on the discovery channel.  They used bait to see how the giant squid hunts and managed to accidentally hook one of the squids tentacles. 

Yes, that video already showed a live animal they had caught and pulled up; but as mentioned here, "researchers and cameramen had never before managed to catch a glimpse of them in the ocean abyss where they live." Which the chinese now did. The point is not only to watch them alive, it's to watch them in their natural conditions to possibly make guesses on their behaviour.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 2:57pm

joeyman2

joeyman2

56 posts

i never said it was a big as in legends says it is. I just said that its real...

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 5:04pm

Ishtaron

Ishtaron

63 posts

Yes, that video already showed a live animal they had caught and pulled up;

They didn't catch it, it was in the wild.  They lowered bait in an area near Japan where it was theorized that giant squids lived in order to get one on camera and determine how they hunt prey.  In the process, they accidentally hooked one of the squids tentacles which then got ripped off the squid who swam away.  This was about 5 or 6 years ago.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 5:09pm

Ishtaron

Ishtaron

63 posts

Oops, it wasn't discovery channel it was animal planet.  That's from 2005 and did not involve a captured giant squid.

Posted Feb 11, '13 at 12:44pm

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,791 posts

And I found nothing on that king-sized squid, care to link me?

There isn't a king-sized squid,I made it up.I said there was a king-sized squid because I was angry and full of irony.

Posted Feb 11, '13 at 7:34pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,179 posts

Reading Sphere didn't help either...

What, that was a great book, not to mention it was a giant squid, AND, it was created by Harry's imagination.

Posted Feb 11, '13 at 7:50pm

Bronze

Bronze

2,337 posts

It was a great book, but reading about a giant squid terrorizing and killing people doesn't make me wanna swim in the ocean. In fact, if I had been in Harry's position I might've done the same thing. Of course, I would never have a reason to go a mile under the ocean's surface. I hope...

And I think some things may have been spoiled for future Sphere readers.

Posted Feb 13, '13 at 6:54pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,179 posts

It was a great book, but reading about a giant squid terrorizing and killing people doesn't make me wanna swim in the ocean. In fact, if I had been in Harry's position I might've done the same thing. Of course, I would never have a reason to go a mile under the ocean's surface. I hope...

well its already spoiled so.

Then you got Beth (or whoever it was) who goes crazy, and some old guy who blows up both the base and the ship, and then blames it on a problem that was already in the base, and somehow, even though the base was destroyed instantly, three people survived.

have you read congo?

~~~Darth Caedus

Reply to The Kraken is real!

You must be logged in to post a reply!