Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

{Intolerant}If Athiests and Homosexuals expect us Christians to be tolerant of them, how come they arent tole...

Thread Locked

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 3:46pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Just a question i have, Atheists and Homosexuals expect us to be "tolerant" of them, when we are.

Yes...that's why homosexual marriage is legal in all the states. Why homosexuals are able to openly show that they're a couple, like heterosexual couples. Why homosexuals can adopt. Why they aren't killed by mobs in various places around the world. Why they can hold public offices because people don't care what sexuality candidates are. Why they don't get screamed at by extremists for sinning. Oh wait.

As for atheists, lots of the same things. We constantly get mouth garbage about how we're immoral, arrogant scumbags who deny that Jesus came down from heaven. Why it's illegal to hold public office in some states as one. How many people when asked if their child wanted to marry an atheist would say they wouldn't approve. How they are also discriminated against and killed for being what they are in various places in the world.

Religion is NOT tolerant of atheism/homosexuality. Individuals are.

But yet, they are not tolerant of ours. we don't start Christian parades and harass and pillage homosexuals homes, do we?

I don't know about parades, but there's always people like the KKK, Wesboro, and other extremist groups that revolve around religion. Not to mention, homosexuals ARE taken from their homes by mob rule in some places.

The parades and such occur BECAUSE there is intolerance. They occur for the same reason people fought for ending discrimination against darker colored skin. And guess what?

The. Exact. Same. Arguments. Are. Used. Now. As. Then. "I don't mind them as long as they stay away from me and don't talk about it." ISN'T tolerance. That's discrimination. You aren't tolerant.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 3:46pm

pballaddict

pballaddict

129 posts

Atheists go out of their way to deprive Christians of their beliefs and make them look like idiots for our faith, yet, us believing isnt hurting anybody? Then, I would never try to make an atheist look like an idiot. I would just simply want to show them what I believe in, and spread the word. That's our task as Christians, to help spread the word and be loving and kind. But I'm not perfect either. Every human has sinned.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 3:50pm

pballaddict

pballaddict

129 posts

And last time I checked, homosexuals have their own arranged marriages anyways?

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 3:53pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

I can't speak for the ones who took it to the extreme. But at the same time, I don think you can speak trough the people throughout history,

History has Religion acting in very brutal ways.
The Crusades, Salem Witch Trials, The suppression of knowledge by the church itself to the point of putting people to death, just to name a few.

and even people today [ mostly in other countries ]

Like this?
Dispatches: Return to Africa's Witch Children

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 3:58pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

Atheists go out of their way to deprive Christians of their beliefs and make them look like idiots for our faith, yet, us believing isnt hurting anybody?

No, what happens is that religious people, start debates like this. Expect people to take their religious beliefs as facts and then get angry when the atheist disagrees. Then the atheist supports their arguments through facts. That's not going out of the way to make anyone look like an idiot. In fact, no one is calling anyone an idiot here.

That's our task as Christians, to help spread the word and be loving and kind.

What if people disagree? Send them to hell?

They do? Where? Do these marriages have legitmacy before the law? Do they provide equal benefits to the parties involved?

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 4:02pm

pballaddict

pballaddict

129 posts

Send them to hell? Not be necessarily. It's more of a hand stretched out to ou. And you choose whether to grab or not.

And also, this is not my reason believe or not, but see I'm comfortable. If I was to die and there is no God, then I would just die. But if an atheist was to die, and there is a God, then.

Being a Christian is not asking for much, but to simply believe. And I'm not angry for you having your own beliefs. It's good to have your own view on things.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 4:05pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Atheists go out of their way to deprive Christians of their beliefs and make them look like idiots for our faith, yet, us believing isnt hurting anybody?

A few do. Except, we aren't a group like you're making us sound. And there also aren't nearly that many. And, even in the worst cases, it's just harassing them for being unable to provide evidence. Christians daily do many worse things to atheists. Not that either is right to do so, but Christians do it because religion tells them to, while those atheists insult the Christians for doing those things.

Want a comparison? Kid A goes up to Kid B and starts a conversation. Kid B talks about his favorite band. Kid A doesn't agree about the band being good and gives reasons why. Kid B calls Kid A an idiot for not liking the band, saying they're the best. Kid A gives more reasons why he thinks the band isn't good. Kid B calls his friends over, who also say that the band is good. Kid A gets annoyed that Kid B and his friends just keep saying the band is good.

Who is who?

Then, I would never try to make an atheist look like an idiot.

"I hit him because he hit me."

^Maturity of a 6 year old. I'm not saying atheists that go out of their way to provoke people are any better, mind you. However, there is a VERY large issue I would like to discuss.

Was he trying to make you look like an idiot?

Asking questions and questioning your claims is NOT making you look like an idiot. If you can't answer, you either need to research or drop that claim.

Asserting that religion causes harm is FACT. It is not an insult to say that religion has been a significant force for justifying violence and discrimination, it is truth.

Saying that claims of a 6000 year old Earth and global floods are unfounded is not an insult. It is true.

Saying that one needs to become literate in science because the theist doesn't accept evolution is not an insult. It is truth.

Every human has sinned.

And see, this is where it starts. Religion makes a claim. Then someone disagrees and asks for proof, and you can't give it. As you get pressed on questions you cannot answer because you have no proof, you walk away saying that we are insulting your beliefs. No. We are presenting to you the facts and you are running away.

There is also a difference in how things are said. What I have said is not insulting. I have not called you an idiot. I have not called everyone who follows your religion evil. I have not said you are evil. I have not said you are stupid for believing what you do, only that you have no proof. I have not said you are immoral.

And yet, let's look at what you've called ALL homosexuals and atheists, and see who really is being tolerant.

"But yet, they are not tolerant of ours"

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 4:05pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

Atheists go out of their way to deprive Christians of their beliefs

No we're not. Just saying that we don't believe your claim and providing our reason why is not depriving you of your beliefs. It might and has gotten people questioning what they believe and often they eventually stop believing.

and make them look like idiots for our faith,

It's not trying to make you look like idiots. Many atheists do find the belief kinda dumb, but that doesn't mean they find the person holding that belief dumb. You can be very intelligent and still hold unfounded beliefs.

Homosexual are only allowed to get married in a handful of states. If you are speaking of unions they don't offer the same legal benefits that marriage does. If they did I think separating the two by the terms just becomes semantics and pointless.

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 4:06pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Post got cut.

"But yet, they are not tolerant of ours"

Posted Feb 10, '13 at 4:22pm

pballaddict

pballaddict

129 posts

You still haven't replied to what I said. I simply have nothing to lose.

I would say this is an even Steven, but you don't have hard solid facts that Jesus did not exist, same with God. Nor do you have an answer on how we came to be here. And you may refer to apes, while, where did the apes come from?

The difference between me and you guys, is that I have faith. And I simply win either way. There is a God and I will have everlasting life in the name of Jesus Christ. But if there were to not be a God, I simply die like everyone else. Believing in God isn't asking for much at all.