Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

suicide

Posted Feb 15, '13 at 1:12am

Lanod

Lanod

28 posts

i just read a story in the paper about a boy who killed himself and it was pretty sad. just wondering if other people have encountered suicide in their lives

Posted Feb 15, '13 at 2:54am

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,915 posts

i did. not in person though. 2 of my old elementary highschool classmates commited suicide. one did it last year and one this year.

Posted Feb 16, '13 at 11:39am

Jeff1999

Jeff1999

648 posts

We habe neighbors and they have a 10 year old girl, her mom suicided like 3 years ago.

-Jeff

Posted Feb 17, '13 at 10:58pm

ChronicFrost

ChronicFrost

14 posts

my cousin killed himself :(

Posted Feb 18, '13 at 2:50pm

Vendablebow

Vendablebow

30 posts

I have a cousin who killed herself. To me it is pretty selfish as it upset my aunt a lot. My point is, I do not understand how someone can get SO low that they only feel their only option is to kill themselves. Never really clicked in my head how that was even remotely possible. Trust me, Ive had a rough life myself, the thought never crossed my mind.

Posted Feb 18, '13 at 3:00pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,859 posts

I have a cousin who killed herself. To me it is pretty selfish as it upset my aunt a lot. My point is, I do not understand how someone can get SO low that they only feel their only option is to kill themselves. Never really clicked in my head how that was even remotely possible. Trust me, Ive had a rough life myself, the thought never crossed my mind.

Finally someone who shares my thoughts.

Posted Feb 18, '13 at 3:09pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,585 posts

So..you think that your cousin should have continued a life of torment/pain (which was most likely the case..quick note though..there are other reason people commit suicide..though I'm assuming your cousin's act was due to the most common reason) solely because the suicide upsets your Aunt? That sounds more selfish to me

Also..you don't know what went on through the head of a person that committed suicide. The thought could have been "Everyone would be better off without me. I'm more of a burden than anything else"..and if that is so..how could you call that selfish? Although the act is a tragedy, the thought behind it is far from selfish

Posted Feb 18, '13 at 3:18pm

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

4,611 posts

I'm fortunate to say I've never had to talk a friend out of suicide. I've had to talk them out of intense depression and I know how painful that is. I hope I never have to do it, because even with depression you have to be extremely careful with what you say.

Posted Feb 18, '13 at 3:26pm

Vendablebow

Vendablebow

30 posts

So..you think that your cousin should have continued a life of torment/pain (which was most likely the case..quick note though..there are other reason people commit suicide..though I'm assuming your cousin's act was due to the most common reason) solely because the suicide upsets your Aunt? That sounds more selfish to me

Also..you don't know what went on through the head of a person that committed suicide. The thought could have been "Everyone would be better off without me. I'm more of a burden than anything else"..and if that is so..how could you call that selfish? Although the act is a tragedy, the thought behind it is far from selfish

It doesn't matter what went through her head, when someone says, "They would be better off without me," that is a feel sorry for yourself move. Only encourages suicide even further. No one would be better off if you killed yourself. Its the stupidest thing I have ever heard honestly. When people are depressed they do not think rationally, and tend to think selfish and irresponsible thoughts. That is my point.

Still don't get it, because I have never wanted to kill myself. There are people in life who are well worse off than most of the suicide cases that happen here in the United States. It is funny how we as a society have used suicide as a way out, when a child or adult in Africa who is starving to death, would rather starve to death, than kill themselves.

Posted Feb 18, '13 at 4:15pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

Trust me, Ive had a rough life myself, the thought never crossed my mind.

Be glad it hasn't.

It doesn't matter what went through her head, when someone says, "They would be better off without me," that is a feel sorry for yourself move. Only encourages suicide even further. No one would be better off if you killed yourself. Its the stupidest thing I have ever heard honestly. When people are depressed they do not think rationally, and tend to think selfish and irresponsible thoughts. That is my point.

Still don't get it, because I have never wanted to kill myself. There are people in life who are well worse off than most of the suicide cases that happen here in the United States. It is funny how we as a society have used suicide as a way out, when a child or adult in Africa who is starving to death, would rather starve to death, than kill themselves.

It's as you said, a mindset. However, the rest of your post clearly shows you do not understand what said mindset entails. It is not simply thinking that the world would be better off without you, it's thinking that you no longer want to continue living. Which is vastly different.

People starving to death and fighting to live want to live. People depressed to the point of suicide to not want to live. They would rather everything just stop. It's not about being weak or strong either, so don't give me that crap. If you've never felt that way, you have no right to judge what others choose.

Should they have killed themselves? Almost certainly not. Would things have gotten better eventually? Most likely. Did they hurt others around them by taking their own life? Yes. Were they weak for killing themselves? Not at all.

If you have no idea what it is like to seriously consider killing oneself, please don't argue with this. Would you have the courage to jump off a cliff, or pull the trigger to the gun, or overdose on medication? Do you know exactly how much thought they put into it beforehand? It's not something that's done on a whim.

Reply to suicide

You must be logged in to post a reply!