Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

suicide

Posted Mar 2, '13 at 4:22pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

A psychology student told me once that having a depression is not in fact just being sad more intensely than usual; it is different, in some way.

As I already said, it's a chemical imbalance in neurotransmitters inside the brain, characterized by a relative lack of Dopamine and Serotonin. Wikipedia the two to see what each does in the brain's chemistry.

Posted Mar 2, '13 at 4:34pm

gaboloth

gaboloth

1,372 posts

As I already said, it's a chemical imbalance in neurotransmitters inside the brain, characterized by a relative lack of Dopamine and Serotonin.

Sure, but isn't sadness the same? I don't know that much about this topic, but I would be surprised if any the brain's emotions wasn't caused by a specific
balance of chemicals. I can't see any difference between balance and imbalance either, if not that balance happens more often.

Posted Mar 2, '13 at 4:57pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,082 posts

Knight

As I already said, it's a chemical imbalance in neurotransmitters inside the brain, characterized by a relative lack of Dopamine and Serotonin. Wikipedia the two to see what each does in the brain's chemistry.

I don't think this hypothesis is really accepted. Those neurotransmitters are involved in different things like emotionality alright, but the treatments based on this idea don't seem to be really effective.

Posted Mar 2, '13 at 5:18pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,591 posts

I don't think this hypothesis is really accepted.

As far as I was aware, it was the most widely accepted one. As you said, there's also environmental factors too.

Sure, but isn't sadness the same?

Depression is an ongoing sadness that is deeper. There's a time component to the diagnosis.

Posted Mar 2, '13 at 6:22pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,082 posts

Knight

I think the biological causes section of wikipedia seems very interesting as it lists various things. The monoamine hypothesis seems to be the most intuitive one, but the ending phrase relativates:
"The monoamine hypothesis, already limited, has been further oversimplified when presented to the general public as a mass marketing tool, usually phrased as a "chemical imbalance"."

All in all the research for causes looks like a big mess right now, probably due to the variety of individual cases. But fact is, it is an illness nonetheless, and not just normal mood variance. It is also diagnosed with many more symptoms than sadness, for example.

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 3:33pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

If you commit suicide you go straight to hell.

Got any evidence, even scripture, that supports this?

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 3:55pm

Zamiel

Zamiel

142 posts

I must say i'm surprised that it took so long for a "devote" religious person to join this thread.

As usual this type of thread follows the same trends, OP, honest opinion followed by a reply and then some biased person stirs everything up and ends up ignoring every comment made to explain why his ideas are biased and just babbling about, failing to see a made point.

now on topic, suicide is a horrible thing, horrible because a life ends on a different time than it's supposed to be. But it was a made choice by those who commited it and we will never fully understand what made them take such a step. Even if we had suicidal thoughts of our own it's possible to relate but never to understand, because nobody is the same.

one a sidenote i say two things: excuse me for my English, it is not my native language and second, please no obvious trolls doing obvious trolling, just don't.

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 4:06pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

ends on a different time than it's supposed to be.

Depends on your views of determinism.

Even if we had suicidal thoughts of our own it's possible to relate but never to understand, because nobody is the same.

Then who are we to judge it as 'horrible'?

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 4:15pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

I must say i'm surprised that it took so long for a "devote" religious person to join this thread.

Hard to call him a devote religious person..since I'm about 99% sure he is just a troll

please no obvious trolls doing obvious trolling, just don't.

The irony

now on topic, suicide is a horrible thing

I'd say more tragic than horrible

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 4:24pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,082 posts

Knight

But it was a made choice by those who commited it and we will never fully understand what made them take such a step.

There are factors influencing people though, social and biological ones. Social ones are rather intuitive, or so one could think. Biological ones are still controversed and/or studied, but it doesn't mean we will udnerstand them fully at some point.

But it's hard to "understand" an irrational decision. People surviving suicide attempts like jumping from bridges sometimes report regretting their act during the fall. I don't think suicidal people realise the consequences or meaning of their act the same way a non-suidical person does.

Reply to suicide

You must be logged in to post a reply!