ForumsWEPRsuicide

72 26991
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

i just read a story in the paper about a boy who killed himself and it was pretty sad. just wondering if other people have encountered suicide in their lives

• 72 Replies
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

I just knew this was going to turn into a debate...

arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

Suicide is cowardly act committed by those with weak character. It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Suicide is cowardly act committed by those with weak character. It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Please read my previous posts and stop being a regurgitory device.
arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

You have never been in a suicidal state of mind. As I have said before, please do not act as if you know, because you don't. You think you're better than they are and think they're weak, when all you're doing is being ignorant.
Most people commit suicide because of some sort of sever trauma in there lives. I have had severe trauma in my life, my never for a moment considered killing myself.
arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

You have never been in a suicidal state of mind. As I have said before, please do not act as if you know, because you don't. You think you're better than they are and think they're weak, when all you're doing is being ignorant.
Most people commit suicide because of some sort of sever trauma in there lives. I have had severe trauma in my life, my never for a moment considered killing myself.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I have had severe trauma in my life, my never for a moment considered killing myself.

That's great. Now, if you'll refer back to here...

"Depression is a mental illness, it is distinctly different from being sad or making hard decisions."

Read this.

People who commit suicide aren't weak. They're sick. You're only making the problems worse by perpetuating the idea that people who feel bad are weak and just need to tough it out.
Squidbears
Squidbears
627 posts
Nomad

You fail to understand what depression is and is not. It is not a simple case of "Woe is me". It is not a problem of "getting motivated". As Kasic mentioned, depression is a disease, it is not a symptom . Mental disease is not simply willed away by being a strong individual. Depression has all the capacity in the world to rob you of the ability to lead a normal life. If you have not struggled with depression before, you just simply do not understand. When people tell you to "Lighten up" or to "Keep your chin up" it is means nothing. The notion that suicide is weak is extremely indicative of ignorance, and quite frankly, it is insulting.

Most people? I do not believe that for an instant. I'll say this once again: Depression does not stem from a set of bad circumstances. It is a disease.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

If Kasic's post wasn't enough..then read mine as well. You may have had trauma..but you can't compare yours to what theirs is. You don't know how it affected them
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Most people? I do not believe that for an instant. I'll say this once again: Depression does not stem from a set of bad circumstances. It is a disease.

Everybody has different thresholds of trauma they are capable of dealing with.
Squidbears
Squidbears
627 posts
Nomad

Everybody has different thresholds of trauma they are capable of dealing with.

Absolutely, but do you honestly believe that most cases of suicide stem from some unfortunate circumstance? I am inclined to believe that most cases of suicide stem from mental illness.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

but do you honestly believe that most cases of suicide stem from some unfortunate circumstance?

I think negative circumstances enhance and perpetuate the problem, possibly to that point. If the person doesn't perceive a negative situation, what are they trying to escape from?
Squidbears
Squidbears
627 posts
Nomad

Negative circumstances can definitely enhance and perpetuate problems, particularly if someone has pre-existing mental issues, but I do not believe that such a circumstance would drive someone to suicide unless it broke them, and as Mage said, everybody has different thresholds of trauma they are capable of dealing with. I find it difficult to assume that most people who have committed suicide did so because a negative circumstance broke them.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

a negative circumstance broke them.

Not necessarily a single event, but often a continuous series, possibly over years depending on the person.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Not necessarily a single event, but often a continuous series, possibly over years depending on the person.

That's more likely to lead to depression. A single traumatic event which would be beyond what they could take would be like losing their entire family in a house fire and being ~10 or so years old. Even still, that isn't enough to outright break most people. Constant reflection on that event may lead to depression though, which, if left untreated, may eventually lead to suicide.
ChronicFrost
ChronicFrost
14 posts
Nomad

I dont believe depression is a mental illness at all. Its Things that happen in this persons life that makes them depressed or suicidal.

Showing 16-30 of 72