ForumsWEPRsuicide

72 27043
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

i just read a story in the paper about a boy who killed himself and it was pretty sad. just wondering if other people have encountered suicide in their lives

• 72 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I dont believe depression is a mental illness at all.

There is a very big distinction between being depressed, which is a mental illness, and being sad/going through hard times.

Yes, being sad is apart of being depressed, but if you are sad that does not mean you are depressed in of itself.
Squidbears
Squidbears
626 posts
Nomad

It doesn't matter if YOU believe it or not. The fact of the matter is, it is a mental illness. It's a widely recognized fact.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

There is a very big distinction between being depressed, which is a mental illness, and being sad/going through hard times.

It really depends on how hard the times are and how long they last.
Wiki says 2 weeks of extreme low mood (loss of interest/pleasure in all or nearly all things) is Major Depressive Disorder. Dysthymia is less severe depression persisting for at least 2 years. Double Depression is when a person with dysthymia experiences an episode of MDD.
TheGenovesan
TheGenovesan
65 posts
Nomad

Yes, depression is a mental illness. Thats a fact, as it fits the criteria for being classed as a mental illness. But it doesn't work like the common cold. It might be better to just think of it as a state of mind,which can have many causes. The second part of your comment is true, people commit suicide or become depressed because of something that has happened in their lives most of the time i.e. your family or someone very close to you dies. It's not the only reason though. They might commit suicide because of a mental disorder they've had from birth, or some other reason.
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Chemistry my friend, Chemistry. Chemistry is killing Psycholigy and the idea of "Soul". some chemcichals can make you happy, some can make you sad. If your body make too much from one kind, you will be "ill". If your liver is damaged, your entire 'identity' can be changed from one side to another.

Ins some cases, getting old can make your body product less chemichals of one kind. this is why there are many cases of "Grumpy old mans".

GhostOfMetal
GhostOfMetal
694 posts
Shepherd

Chemistry my friend, Chemistry. Chemistry is killing Psycholigy and the idea of "Soul". some chemcichals [b]( chemicals*) can make you happy, some can make you sad. If your body make too much from one kind, you will be "ill". If your liver is damaged, your entire 'identity' can be changed from one side to another.

Ins some cases, getting old can make your body product less chemichals of one kind. this is why there are many cases of "Grumpy old mans".

The cause does not change the fact that, if a person is depressed, they are mentally ill. One's who are depressed desperately need help, yet this world and society has made asking for help be a sign of weakness while in fact, it shows great strength and courage (although, in my opinion, asking for should just be asking for help but the way we live as a species prevents that). We've made people to scared to ask for help and that only makes things worse. Whether or not a person is suicidal varies from case to case. However, people should be more willing to help, at least in my opinion.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

yet this world and society has made asking for help be a sign of weakness

Adding on to this, the most common response even when asking for help is something along the lines of, "Tough it out" or "Get over it."

Not exactly helpful.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Yes, being sad is apart of being depressed, but if you are sad that does not mean you are depressed in of itself.

A psychology student told me once that having a depression is not in fact just being sad more intensely than usual; it is different, in some way. That's why it is a mental illness and not a mood. Genetic factors can influence the likelihood of certain individuals to get depressions, and environmental factors like weaker light periods in winter increase the chances further.

Fact is: this winter around here was the darkest winter since at least half a century, and the psychological consultations have risen respectively.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

A psychology student told me once that having a depression is not in fact just being sad more intensely than usual; it is different, in some way.

As I already said, it's a chemical imbalance in neurotransmitters inside the brain, characterized by a relative lack of Dopamine and Serotonin. Wikipedia the two to see what each does in the brain's chemistry.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

As I already said, it's a chemical imbalance in neurotransmitters inside the brain, characterized by a relative lack of Dopamine and Serotonin.

Sure, but isn't sadness the same? I don't know that much about this topic, but I would be surprised if any the brain's emotions wasn't caused by a specific
balance of chemicals. I can't see any difference between balance and imbalance either, if not that balance happens more often.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

As I already said, it's a chemical imbalance in neurotransmitters inside the brain, characterized by a relative lack of Dopamine and Serotonin. Wikipedia the two to see what each does in the brain's chemistry.

I don't think this hypothesis is really accepted. Those neurotransmitters are involved in different things like emotionality alright, but the treatments based on this idea don't seem to be really effective.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I don't think this hypothesis is really accepted.

As far as I was aware, it was the most widely accepted one. As you said, there's also environmental factors too.

Sure, but isn't sadness the same?

Depression is an ongoing sadness that is deeper. There's a time component to the diagnosis.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I think the biological causes section of wikipedia seems very interesting as it lists various things. The monoamine hypothesis seems to be the most intuitive one, but the ending phrase relativates:
"The monoamine hypothesis, already limited, has been further oversimplified when presented to the general public as a mass marketing tool, usually phrased as a "chemical imbalance"."

All in all the research for causes looks like a big mess right now, probably due to the variety of individual cases. But fact is, it is an illness nonetheless, and not just normal mood variance. It is also diagnosed with many more symptoms than sadness, for example.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

If you commit suicide you go straight to hell.

Got any evidence, even scripture, that supports this?
Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

I must say i'm surprised that it took so long for a "devote" religious person to join this thread.

As usual this type of thread follows the same trends, OP, honest opinion followed by a reply and then some biased person stirs everything up and ends up ignoring every comment made to explain why his ideas are biased and just babbling about, failing to see a made point.

now on topic, suicide is a horrible thing, horrible because a life ends on a different time than it's supposed to be. But it was a made choice by those who commited it and we will never fully understand what made them take such a step. Even if we had suicidal thoughts of our own it's possible to relate but never to understand, because nobody is the same.

one a sidenote i say two things: excuse me for my English, it is not my native language and second, please no obvious trolls doing obvious trolling, just don't.

Showing 31-45 of 72