ForumsWEPRI have an off-beat question

31 7167
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

When you think is it in your own voice, or is it not vocal to you?

I ask someone this yesterday. I told her that it is in my own voice, and I try to change the voices sometimes, but it doesn't work. She says she doesn't have a voice, she just thinks.

I just want some more answers from others here.

• 31 Replies
The_Masquerade
The_Masquerade
140 posts
Nomad

Very interesting! I have great interest in this. +1 for originality. To be quite frank, I never thought about this in my whole life until now. When I type and talk, my mind translates this in my won voice. But I can't really find the difference between my own voice or no voice. Kinda like J.D. from Scrubs. But at will I can change the voice in my head to another voice such as a British accent or class pseudo. Though it takes my consciousness and a lot of control over the mind. I sometimes find the need to make a circle with a dot on the circumference and make it move and try to stop it. I usually fail.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

You can think what you want to hear really depending on your imagination. But normally it i smy own voice but when you try and remember something you can still think in someone elses voice.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Parker, cool it. This is a very interesting thread, and I wouldn't want you to get in MORE trouble for trying to get a mod in trouble, which won't happen.

The voice in my head is is pretty much what comes out when I talk. But I type a bit differently than I actually talk. I really don't use alot of bigger words when I'm chillin' with friends, but on AG, I always tend to make my posts contain some bigger words. So maybe there's a little elf in my head telling my fingers what to type right now! o.O

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

I'm gonna have to agree with your friend...sitting hear actually thinking about what my thoughts sound like to me, I am thinking in my voice. But generally i think in...idk, thoughts. There is no voice behind them just words coming to me without really any voice behind it. Man this is weird trying to explain...i'm sure none of that made sense. (good topic btw)

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Good to see some replies! It really is hard to explain! I think that mine are words, but like Masquerade says it is hard to change it. These are good answers.

morbid_giggle
morbid_giggle
137 posts
Nomad

I never thought about this before.
I'm sat here like an idiot trying to think to find out.
Yea...I'm pretty sure its my voice I think with.

According to Tony its been proven that everybody hears their own voice when they think, but when I tried to google it for proof I got a load of mental health sites about hearing voices...I'm rubbish with search engines.

Does anybody else want to try and look it up?

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Another thing relating to this is that when spies and stuff are trained to adapt to new personnas they are trained to think in that persons voice to make themselves seem more natural when they are lying so i think you can change it. People are also taught when they are learning another laguage to think in that language so it vbecomes more natural so i think it's down to the strength of mind as to what voice you think in.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Good point, woody. I wonder about that. I will dream in Euskara sometimes instead of English.

cchsviking
cchsviking
13 posts
Nomad

I think in the voice of the last person I heard, be it my own voice or someone else's. Usually though it is a male voice because I cannot think in a feminine voice for some reason...that explains a lot! But good idea though Asherlee.

What is a Euskara?

cchsviking
cchsviking
13 posts
Nomad

And who is Parker?

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Euskara is what my father and his side of the family speaks. It is what they speak in the north part of Spain.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Sum1 in my squadron speaks Euskara, wot a coincidence

gunnar
gunnar
65 posts
Nomad

when i read someone elses writing i think of thier voice, if i dont know them my mind makes up a voice for them, when i think its usually my voice, sometimes its not quite

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

This is definitely a question for the neurology buffs. But I'm not one, so the best I can say is that it would depend on habit and of how your association cortices are connected.

There may be normative trends in the associations between sensory inputs and thoughts. Although it seems counterintuitive, I'm going to say that it's possible to both think without vocalising/sub-vocalising, but the processes are different when bringing in the perception of a voice (most likely some kind of episodic memory usage?)

If you're experiencing cross-modal sensory perceptions, for example smells make you imagine or even see colors, you might want to get that checked out!

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

I always thought about this, and I sometimes try to change what voice it is, but I can't do that subconsciously, so I fail. I usually think things in a robotic voice, kinda like the one you would hear in a daft punk song.

No, not really, just a joke, I'm not an evil robot trying to take over armorgames... I think in my own voice, and just like what gunnar said, I sometimes try to assign certain people a voice on how I think they would sound, but that always fails and it goes back to my voice (which isn't robotic).

Showing 1-15 of 31