Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Why do people believe "Atheism" is a religion?

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 12:07am

blk2860

blk2860

10,692 posts

I'm a Christian, but why do people talk about Atheism like a religion? I mean, it's just not believing in any Gods or Deities. It's just a question I had.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 12:17am

Kasic

Kasic

5,740 posts

Short answer: People don't understand what atheism is.

Long answer: Religion is such an integral part of many people's lives that they assume someone has to have some sort of belief system to tell them what is right and wrong and how everything got here. Thus, they think in ignorance that atheism must be a religion because everyone has a religion (their thought process) and since they call themselves an atheist, that's their religion. It all stems from ignorance and assumption, along with having been indoctrinated into thinking that everyone needs to believe in something.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 4:51am

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,838 posts

All in all, people are borderline mongoloids when it comes to many things. Atheism being one of them.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 7:59am

xgeogander

xgeogander

203 posts

Who said they don't believe in God? of course they do but subconsciously.
that's why it's a religion ^_^

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 8:33am

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

2,534 posts

Who said they don't believe in God? of course they do but subconsciously.

you'd better be sarcastic.

people hate what they fear, and fear what they don't understand. in order to deal with this, the mind will sometimes make "rationalities" in order to the person to better understand without actually understanding what it is. that is a factor of atheism's "religion".

-Blade

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 8:53am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,296 posts

Knight

Here's a better question, why do people believe "Theism" is a religion? : )

Atheism, nor theism, is a religion. The only meaning behind these words is to determine whether someone believes in a higher entity.

I don't know why, or rather how, people come to think of atheism as a religion. Perhaps it's because these people see religion as a set of beliefs, and if one does not believe in God, then that's a belief in and of itself. The problem with this logic is that religion isn't merely a set of beliefs. Religion is more specific than that, it has to do with believing in something divine in which our morality is dictated, or which nature is explained through divine explanations.

Though atheists can technically be religious, they often aren't. And I believe being a theist, you're automatically going to have a religion or non-specific religious views. This is where another common misconception arises, the belief that theism is a religion. Theism isn't a religion, as I stated before, it just so happens that you need to hold religious views to be a theist.

For example, you also need to be human (as far as we currently know) to be an atheist or a theist, but that does not mean atheism and theism's definition includes "to be human", it just so happens you need to be human to be an atheist or theist.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 8:56am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,296 posts

Knight

Sorry, bad example. I thought about it, and since animals lack a belief in a higher being (again, as far as we know), I guess this would make them atheist as well. But, hopefully the example still makes my point clear. x.x

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 9:39am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,301 posts

Knight

To make the distinction between human atheism and "animal atheism", maybe we could just define that there's a sort of neutral atheism (default term appliable also on animals), and another atheism (don't know how to call it) where you know about the theist concepts, able to comprehend them, yet still retain your atheism.

Though that doesn't change a thing in that none of it is a religion. Religions are sets of religious (spiritual) beliefs of a collective of people. That simply doesn't apply on atheism.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 10:10am

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,111 posts

How does one define a religion? Couldn't you define it as simply a system of beliefs?

Athiests have a system of beliefs, they believe God is not real and that science can answer everything.

Easy to logically say Atheism=religion

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 10:46am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,285 posts

Athiests have a system of beliefs, they believe God is not real and that science can answer everything.

Easy to logically say Atheism=religion

The problem is that Atheism isn't the belief of no deity, but the lack of belief of a deity.

Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position -- it's not.

Reply to Why do people believe "Atheism" is a religion?

You must be logged in to post a reply!