Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Why do people believe "Atheism" is a religion?

Posted Mar 3, '13 at 10:43pm

BrolyLSSJ5

BrolyLSSJ5

5 posts

If you answer yes to this question, do you really believe truth to be so malleable to the point that what is, really is different depending on the region you live in?

Truth? What truth? The only truth is that we, as humans, are heavily, and I mean massively, influenced by the environment we live in. Everything and everyone you know would be different, probably your mindset would be different, and so on and so on. In fact, you would be a different person altogether. Forget "human nature", such a thing simply doesn't exist. I allow you to spit in the face of someone who says that phrase. Seriously, there is only "human behavior". But I'm going a bit off track there. Back to the everlasting religion argument.

So, how "malleable" you think "truth" can get? Well, let's start with this: why choose Christianity (or whichever religion one believes in) over something else when there are so many other religions? (Thank you 21st century!) Just because the people around you happen to be Christians/something else? That is anachronistic and... well, foolish. In fact, a lot of fools walk this earth, maybe even me. But the truth is, it's not even entirely someone's own fault. The problem are parents who introduce their kids to religion... no wait... who introduce their kids to THEIR OWN religion. What a selfish move, don't you think? There is a lot more I would say but I this is getting long and I think I will stop here.

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 12:40am

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

2,534 posts

@BROLY- did you just recently become an atheist? You seem rather angry.

To bring this back to its original subject, atheism is just a lack of belief. It isn't like nihilism (belief in nothing), or anti-theism (against god). If anything, it's a reasonable middle ground between all beliefs and ideologies. It's a wonderful thing, that atheism.

-Blade

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 5:09am

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,280 posts

anti-theism (against god)

I think the word you're looking for is theophobia. I believe antitheism is to be against belief in God(s), though it could easily be used in the other sense. Tough one.

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 7:41am

partydevil

partydevil

5,306 posts

a lot of atheist get discriminated by his/her family, friends etc

depends on the country. in Europe it's mostly no problem at all to be a atheist.
neither in most parts in asia.

conservatives / liberals

does that really matter in this topic?
I don't see why a atheist can't be conservative, or liberal.
it doesn't hit the believe in god yes or no part.

Forget "human nature", such a thing simply doesn't exist.
only "human behavior"

what is the difference?

it's not even entirely someone's own fault. The problem are parents who introduce their kids to religion

there are those that discover religion on a later age.
that grow up in a atheist family but later starts to believe in religious BS.

What a selfish move

they believe it's the best for their kid.
and every parent wants to form their kid as they want. that is for many people even a reason to get kids. so they can build them as they like.

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 4:43pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,075 posts

Forget "human nature", such a thing simply doesn't exist. I allow you to spit in the face of someone who says that phrase

So I'm assuming you are on the "Environment" side of the "Biological vs Environmental" spectrum?

You do realize that even people that say that "a person's environment makes up who they are" admit that biology also plays an important role (just environment is a bit more significant)?

anti-theism (against god)

I think the word you're looking for is theophobia.

I doubt it is theophobia..saying as how that is the fear of god..not being against god

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 4:47pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,796 posts

t's a reasonable middle ground between all beliefs and ideologies. It's a wonderful thing

That sort of describes agnosticism.

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 5:11pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

That sort of describes agnosticism.

Agnosticism is basically when someone can't make up their mind. It's uncertainty, not a position.

Do you want to sign up for this program? Y/N

Atheism = N
Theism = Y
Agnosticism = Let me think about it some more.

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 6:00pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,809 posts

Knight

Agnosticism is basically when someone can't make up their mind. It's uncertainty, not a position.

Not to mention it's not related to belief but knowledge. The person who coined agnostic to be used in place of atheist or theist believed both positions required a certain "gnosis" to them. His definition of atheist excluded someone lacking belief such as how a baby lacks belief due to lack of knowledge. (this is understandable though since during his time atheist used in such a context had just started to develop.) Since he didn't claim to know God existed and believed a certain amount of knowledge was required to be atheist he used the term agnostic to describe himself instead.

Posted Mar 6, '13 at 11:37pm

BrolyLSSJ5

BrolyLSSJ5

5 posts

did you just recently become an atheist? You seem rather angry.

Nah, that's not the case, but I can see why you are asking that. Luckily I don't any problem being an atheist. You can say I like this kind of argument. It's just passion, really. And maybe a bit of "language barrier" here and there, you know...

depends on the country. in Europe it's mostly no problem at all to be a atheist. neither in most parts in asia.

Meh. Maybe "discriminated" was a bit too much, but I'm sure we both agree that, especially at young age, is troubling when the most of the group of people around you believe in a certain religion, do things related to their religion and, if you want to stay coherent to your own beliefs, you have to stand out. Take Christmas and Easter for example: I know a lot of people would say: "it's fine, it's just a way to stay and have fun together, dude". Eh... I don't have any problem with that. But why do something "special" on a "special" day (they say) when you can do it all the year? Just because everyone else is doing it? Who cares?! And the same apply to San Valentine. Not to mention the shameful way these kind of... traditions? are economically exploited. This is not culture. It's just ridiculous.

Forget "human nature", such a thing simply doesn't exist.
only "human behavior"
what is the difference?

Uh, this could get long. But I will be short, since you can easily find all the information you want on your favorite search engine.
I'm sure at some point of your life you heard wonderful (lol) sentences along the lines of: "a world without war is impossible to achieve because humanity has been on war since the ancient times and will always be" or "greed and jealousy are innate characteristics of humans (human nature), therefore will forever exist". Well, how to say this... it's bull****. Who is saying such affirmations simply doesn't get the full picture.
Those are EFFECTS of the environment we live in, not the causes. We do wars to get more resources from others. Greed and jealousy are examples of why our society is flawed at its core. The key word is SCARCITY. These are just a few examples, there is a lot more to this. I suggest you to do some research on the matter.
Originally I was stating that you would most likely pick the first religion you learn about.

So I'm assuming you are on the "Environment" side of the "Biological vs Environmental" spectrum?

You do realize that even people that say that "a person's environment makes up who they are" admit that biology also plays an important role (just environment is a bit more significant)?

"Biological vs Environmental"? Uh? Aren't those are two distinct things? Biology (genetics?) defines what you are, while the environment defines who you are. I'm missing something?

Posted Mar 7, '13 at 1:27am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,475 posts

I'm missing something?

I think they're pointing out inherent influences (such as a natural chemical imbalance) directly affecting a person's personality.

Reply to Why do people believe "Atheism" is a religion?

You must be logged in to post a reply!