ForumsGamesPlayStation 4

56 10752
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Did anyone get to watch the announcement of the PlayStation 4 by Sony on February 20 (today)?

I did, and all I have to say is that it looks like a good console. I think it has potential, but the only thing that needs fixing is the controller. It looks retarded compared to the older DualShock models.

All comments are welcome, but not flame wars. If you start a flame war, then you have no soul. I'm kidding about the soul part, but seriously, NO FLAME WARS!

PS: Another thing that sucked about the announcement was the fact that the PS4 itself wasn't even shown at all. Guess we'll have to wait til PAX East or GDC 2013.

• 56 Replies
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

next-gen consoles (WiiU)
not a next-gen console
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Well it is technically, but I was just going to make some tired point about how it's really a latecomer to this generation, with which it can barely compete in processing power. I mean, it's just so utterly doomed, it makes me feel bad for Nintendo, how soon the next generation is coming and how utterly it's going to outstrip the Wii U in every way.
And I love the Big N, but I just find the whole Wii U situation so hugely misguided. Yeah, it gets a couple of exclusives, but then what? By the time it has any semblance of a decent library, we've got next-gen consoles. And then who cares about the Wii U. Jesus, Nintendo had better be keeping something insane in their pockets.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Jesus, Nintendo had better be keeping something insane in their pockets.

Loyal fans/nostalgia..and it seems to be working
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Right now isn't what I'm worried about though, it's later on
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Hahaha......no it doesn't.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Hahaha......no it doesn't.

They are still making substantial sales..when taking into account what they are having to compete with

Oh yeah..forgot another thing (though, it could go in the loyal fans part)...the Japanese.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

They are still making substantial sales..when taking into account what they are having to compete with

Once again for everyone: No they don't. Those are terrible numbers, no matter how you spin it.
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

The screen on the controller is pretty cool I imagine it will be pretty crappy but the idea is there at least but I'm sticking with pc so either way it doesn't affect me.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Once again for everyone: No they don't. Those are terrible numbers, no matter how you spin it.
Holy **** that's bad. I had no clue.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

From the same article:

While the Wii U's results were discouraging, Nintendo's platforms as an aggregate outperformed the other console manufacturers," Divnich said. "Nintendo's platforms represented over 40 percent of the consoles sold in January. I have to wonder if the Wii and the Nintendo DS have longer legs than what we've all originally expected and whether Nintendo is competing more against itself than other console manufacturers.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

While the Wii U's results were discouraging, Nintendo's platforms as an aggregate outperformed the other console manufacturers," Divnich said. "Nintendo's platforms represented over 40 percent of the consoles sold in January. I have to wonder if the Wii and the Nintendo DS have longer legs than what we've all originally expected and whether Nintendo is competing more against itself than other console manufacturers.

We're not talking about the other consoles, we're talking about the Wii U.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

We're not talking about the other consoles, we're talking about the Wii U.

Ah...I think this is why things went they way they did with Kenty and myself haha I was talking about Nintendo in general when I was talking about the loyal fans and all

Nevertheless...I view the WiiU as Nintendo's version of the Playstation Vita or the XBox Kinect
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

When your old systems make up more parts of the pie than your new next-gen console, that's a problem. Although I'll be the first to admit that the economy has affected the whole industry and not just Nintendo.

I was talking about Nintendo in general when I was talking about the loyal fans and all

Interestingly enough, Nintendo seems to do best when their "loyal fans" froth at the mouth in anger. They loved the Gamecube, but that system was Nintendo's worst in terms of overall sales (for now anyway, because the Wii U is doing worse than the Gamecube right now). Now contrast that to the Wii...

Nevertheless...I view the WiiU as Nintendo's version of the Playstation Vita or the XBox Kinect

Here's the thing though: The Vita is a handheld (and Sony handheld haven't exactly been super successful) and Kinect is an addon. Nintendo needs the Wii U to carry them for the next few years.
Fun side-note: The Vita actually sold even fewer units than the Wii U.

Nintendo is competing more against itself than other console manufacturers.

This is all true though.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Here's the thing though: The Vita is a handheld (and Sony handheld haven't exactly been super successful) and Kinect is an addon. Nintendo needs the Wii U to carry them for the next few years.
Fun side-note: The Vita actually sold even fewer units than the Wii U.

I understand these facts..but all are products that the companies tried to hype up and push
Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

One Fun Fact because it seems like A LOT of people don't know:

There's a share, AND Options button.

I'd imagine that the options button would be used for...

Well Options, Game Settings, and Interactions.

Showing 31-45 of 56