ForumsPopular MediaWho is Better?

25 12249
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

That is right folks it is time to pit your favorite celebrities against each other in an epic March Madness style tournament. We need 32 (at least unless we get 64) female celebrities to duke it out. So get your favorite people in there while you can!

For starters let's do a match up that is going on in real life for me?

Emma Watson vs Jennifer Lawrence!

All rounds are just based on attractiveness of the person.

Vote people!

• 25 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Do you not see that this is the problem?

It isn't like I am saying that women are just objects. What is wrong with admiring their beauty?
Squidbears
Squidbears
627 posts
Nomad

What is wrong with admiring their beauty?

Admiring their beauty is one thing, reducing them to appearance and forming a competition around it is another. You weren't just admiring their beauty, and if you believe you were you need to look a little deeper.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

reducing them to appearance and forming a competition around it is another.

What part of the actual tournament would not be just looks but also personality, talent, etc. And it was just a friendly debate between me and my friend. Can we just move on with life now?
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I don't see what's wrong with this, but it's dead. Just face it.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Jennifer has a crooked eye and Emma has thick eyebrows. They both lose equally.

Also in Winter's Bone

hmmm.. you say?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Any response to my question?

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Admiring their beauty is one thing, reducing them to appearance and forming a competition around it is another. You weren't just admiring their beauty, and if you believe you were you need to look a little deeper.

No... He is admiring. He didnt say " which would you rather bang". Stop being a white knight.
Do you not see that this is the problem?

No. It's a normal conversation that men have. He is doing nothing wrong, please get over yourself.
In the way it was expressed in the OP, it most certainly is wrong.

Are you not listening to me? I'm not explain this a third time.
I've haven't seen any of their movies. But same vote as before because I've read the Hunger Games but not the Harry Potter books.

You are a crime against America R2....
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

:P I am getting this thread locked anyway. We are going way off the topic anyway and people aren't really voting and stuff. I might make a better thread like this later that hopefully people find less offensive.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

No. It's a normal conversation that men have. He is doing nothing wrong, please get over yourself.
Yes, it is. Thank you for succinctly demonstrating the problem. It is a normal thing that people do. That's what's so wrong about it. Objectifying people is the norm, and it is wrong. Slavery was once the norm, and it was wrong. Normality doesn't mean it's right. Don't blame victims as you did on page 1 of this thread, and don't accuse Squid of being a "white knight." Honestly, are you insulting someone for having basic moral integrity and acting on it? That has to be one of the most twisted backwards insults I have ever encountered.

Anyway, daleks appears to have altered the methodology of this thread to something far more appropriate and inoffensive. While the opening post was unambiguously offensive, I'm rather convinced that daleks' intentions were benign and that he would be able to manage a thread that wasn't offensive adequately. Amendments to the intention and methods of the thread were handled quickly and positively by daleks. I'll be watching any new threads, of course.

To answer pang's question, we are upset specifically about the objectification of women because that is what this thread was about. We are upset about objectification in general, but gendered objectification is actually worse than egalitarian objectification, and the objectified demographic in this thread was women. So the answer to your question is that it should be trivially obvious as to why we're objecting to the objectification of women specifically.

I'd address points more specifically but I'm tired and this thread looks like it's on its way out. I feel like it was reasonably successful. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back everyone. Except pickpocket :3
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Because the thread moved onto off-topic tangents from the start, the thread will be locked.

There is a time and place for everything; each debate according to their own topic.

Feel free to make another "Who is Better" thread with the same concepts.

Showing 16-25 of 25