Forums

ForumsNewcomers Forum

[FAQ] What is a Merit?

Posted Feb 21, '13 at 12:01pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,445 posts

I. What is a merit?
A merit is a reward for writing a very good comment. You can also earn a merit for winning the monthly Poetry Contest or other contests. Merits cannot be traded in for anything. Only Moderators and Administrators can give merits.

II. How do I get a merit?
Merits are given to very good game comments. Very good game comments take time to write, but they do not have to be very long. (Long does not equal good!) These comments are helpful, original, and thoughtful. They have good grammar and are easy to read. They show that you played the game and have ideas on what you liked, did not like, and what could be improved. If a moderator or administrator sees your comment and thinks it deserves a merit, he/she will give your comment a merit. This can take a few minutes to a few years, so be patient! Do not bother moderators and administrators about merits or beg for merits. They may ignore your comment!

III. What is a very good game comment?
Here are some things that make a very good game comment. It is...

Readable. It has good grammar. Your comment does not need big words or long sentences or perfect grammar, but other people should be able to understand what the comment says. If no one knows what the you are saying then it is not very helpful.
Helpful. It has constructive criticism. Your comment says why you liked or did not like the game and what can be improved or removed. If you just say "good" or "bad" or "I liked this" it does not tell the game maker what is good or bad about the game. If you don't say why, your comment is not very thoughtful.
Thoughtful. It shows you really thought about the game. Your ideas about the game go together because you spent time to write a good comment about it. If you only list your ideas about different parts of the game, it does not look very original.
Original. It shows you wrote it yourself. Your comment contains unique ideas. You did not copy someone else's good comment. Your ideas cover important parts of the game and might be comprehensive.
Comprehensive. It shows you played the game. You did not just play for a few minutes and stop. Your comment shows you really know what the game is about and you have ideas about different parts of the game, but you do not have to write about everything. Your comment does not need to be as long as an essay!

You do not need all of these, but you will have a better chance of getting a merit if you do!

IV. How long does it take?
After you post your comment, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few years. The moderators take time to read through the comments of new games and old games. They cannot read everything at once. If you keep writing good comments, you may get one. Merits are not guaranteed.

V. What else is there?
Do not worry if your comment does not get a merit. Be patient. These things take time. Do not beg or bother moderators about it. Write good comments! If you want some examples or tips, you can look at the previous SIPPYCUpS to see what other people have written.

Thank you for reading this.

last edited May 08 2014 08:02 pm by Gantic

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 1:19am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

Any ideas for merits in the future? Or are they staying symbolic?

Posted Feb 24, '13 at 11:26am

Gantic

Gantic

7,445 posts

Right now, they just increment your merit count. Don't know what the future holds, but since it was kept after the removal of AP, something's probably going to happen with them.

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 8:45pm

rustygooga

rustygooga

14 posts

Hi thanks for telling me! i mean, i am not new to the website but i am new to the changes here.

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 9:04pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,445 posts

Merits have actually been around since over five years ago. It was only with the quest update that they no longer give AP.

Posted Apr 13, '13 at 9:56pm

Phrixos

Phrixos

12 posts

Well, I thank you for explaining how to gain merits, Gantic. I'm sure this Forum helped many people out and it also helped out with the moderators and Administrators not being bothered as much anymore.

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 3:32pm

X_naruto_fan_X

X_naruto_fan_X

4 posts

Thanks for telling me what a merit is and yes I am new to this site.

Posted Apr 28, '13 at 3:58am

roydotor2000

roydotor2000

250 posts

No offense, but what is the purpose of a merit?

Posted Apr 28, '13 at 5:55am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

No offense, but what is the purpose of a merit?

Right now, they just increment your merit count. Don't know what the future holds, but since it was kept after the removal of AP, something's probably going to happen with them.

Currently, they generally symbolize that a user did something worth special recognition on the site.

Posted May 6, '13 at 1:10pm

drlazai

drlazai

1 post

Hi!

Reply to [FAQ] What is a Merit?

You must be logged in to post a reply!