ForumsNewcomers Forum

SIPPYCUpS: the comment merit guarantee!

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 12:06am

R2D21999

R2D21999

17,998 posts

Knight

I'm not too good on grammar and punctuation, but lets see what we can do.
(Hope you don't mind I use your order xAy, it was just so neat and orderly)

Coinbox Hero:

Art/Graphics:

The art/graphics were really well thought out. It looks kind've like a cartoonish Germany(I've never seen Germany) with pixelish people. I mean that's pretty ingenious. However, the art/graphics with the guns shooting the bullets, the bullets looked more like lasers, and none of the weapons were a laser gun. So I deduct a little points for that, but besides that the art/graphics were pretty good.

Music:

The music was like something you would hear in Monsters Inc. and I didn't like Monsters Inc. music too much, because of how peppy it sounded. The coins and guns didn't make it better either, think of it as a mix of Monsters Inc. and. But I guess that's why they added a mute button.

Story:

Mostly like a very short fairy tale. All it says is that there's a coinbox and it needs to be destroyed. It doesn't explain why its there, or why it needs to be destroyed. Even when you do destroy it, the ending doesn't make much sense either(I don't want to spoil it). So the story was just mixed up, terrible in my opinion.

Gameplay:

The game was fun after 10 minutes but then it get really boring because you're basically going nowhere with attacking the coin box. It just goes to show that arrow keys/WASD, spacebar, and a mouse don't always bring lots of fun.

Rating:

7.5/10

Even though in most of my paragraphs, I said that it wasn't good, or it was terrible. The game really did have some enjoyable moments, but could still use some work. It wasn't one of John's best games, but it also wasn't his worst.

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 12:13am

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

Reviewed Stick War instead. Zombotron was too awesome for me to find fault. :P

Some of the notes I took so far (ignore spelling, grammar and all that other garbage):

Upon loading the game there isn't much that grabs my attention. It seems like a fairly bland welcomeing screen. I have to click on the blood splatters to go to the ext screen? That feels very, very annoying. I'd rather be able to click on the text itself too. The credits seemed lackluster and a bit out of place. I felt like there should be a separate page to put the credits, and I doubt there were only two people associated with making the game. Also, saying "Made by:" sounds weird. It sounds dumb. The opening of the game was powerful - it made me not only want to watch the opening but to play the game as well. Some of the grammar usage was a bit incorrect, but otherwise it felt very cinematic and bold. On the "main" menu I can click the words to access the next screen, but not the very first menu? The full credits page included the entire cast, but I doubt people would care to look at it considering they think they've already seen the main credits page in the opening cinematic. The motif of the menu screens are easy to navigate, and the text looks really cool. The Spearten background is also cool, but I feel like motion blur images are a little corny. The fact that there's a link to a stragety guide on the map menu is very convienient, and I'm sure people use it quite a bit considering it's right where they need it. If it was possible, I'd recommend incorperating the stragety guide into the game completely - add in the stragty guide to eliminate having to need a middle man between the game and the website that the guide is on. Some of the "meant to be sophisticated/fancy" graphics looked extremely pixelated in some areas, and in other areas they deliver the amount they were originally meant to deliver. If the graphics were consisant all around (like using stick peple with ancient scrolls - what's up with that?) then I feel as hough I'd have a much better experience in the visual aspect of the game. Th descrtpins pior to playing levels were lackluster at best - the opening cinematic was awesome, so why can't we have more backstory o the struggle of the poor stick people? I want a big, enriching story, not something where I just bash enemy after enemy after enemy. The "To win" objectives weren't descriptive, but they probably shouldn't be. I'd leave the "To win" objectives alone because they don't really need any improving. The tutorial wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't awful either. It explained enough not to be too wordy in some areas, and there were other areas where it didn't explain anything at all, like the garrison/defending versus attack interface that tells your men what to do. It was somehting the player had to figure out on his/her own, which may have been a serious pain for some people coinsidering the fact that it's one of the most prominent thoings to know in the game. Otherwise, there were quite a few different settings that I could change to alter my play experience, but there weren't too many to the point of overlading me with nonsense. One of the few things at I loed were the upgrades and the variety of people to choos from: there was a healhy variety of characters to create and the system to unlock them was nice and simply - just keep playing and ou get them. The upgrading system was also nice because of its simplicity and the fact that you didn't get too many. I wish I would have been able to respec like in Sonny ecause I accidentally used upgrades on suff that I would never use. Along that point, the spertens felt too overpoweredcompared to, say, the gints which should have been much, much better.

I will go back and write a review from this nonsense tomorrow. I wanna sleep on it before then.

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 10:49am

xAyjAy

xAyjAy

4,906 posts

sorry, i was busy with other things.

You might want to fix the capitalization in that new section

which one? and how can i capitalize in the game comments?

but you're good to go.

so, i can post it the way it is? first you say i have something to change and then you say it is okay...*confused*

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 11:54am

Gantic

Gantic

11,344 posts

Administrator

This one under storyline. Capitalization errors are minor. At least you still have punctuation.

it is a typical fantasy story, kill a monster that killed one or both of your parents. it works for many fantasy games. also, the creator can expand the story by adding a bigger and/or stronger evil being who plans to destroy the whole world so the hero/s have a new goal.

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 1:35pm

xAyjAy

xAyjAy

4,906 posts

This one under storyline. Capitalization errors are minor. At least you still have punctuation.

oops, looks i forgot that...i tend to type all the words without any capitalization...

Enola Prelude:

Graphics:

The Graphics look good, I can see that the Creator put a lot of Effort into the Details for the Items, Weapons, Monsters and the Backround. Also, the Quality is changeable. I have a good PC but I like to play Games in the lowest Quality because then I get that retro-feeling, even when it is in Pixels.

Music and other Sounds:

The Music fits the Game and makes it more authentic. The Intro is not too long and it explains the Reasons for this Adventure.

Storyline:

A young Hero wants to avenge his dead Father by killing a metall Monster. He uses his Fathers Book to learn new Skills on his Journey and collects Items to create stronger and better Weapons to achieve his Goal. The Adventure of this young Man does not end after he killed the Monster, but that is another Story...

It is a typical Fantasy-Story, kill a Monster that killed one or both of your Parents. It works for many Fantasy-Games. Also, the Creator can expand the Story by adding a bigger and/or stronger evil Being who plans to destroy the whole World so the Hero/s have a new Goal.

Bugs:

It allways tells me that I have unlocked new Achievements, no matter how often I click on them. And the Weaponsmith says "new" everytime I get new Items. Both should only say "new" when I unlocked new Achievements/Weapons.

The Quality changes sometimes on its own. I want that retro-feeling and not jumpy Quality when I change the Music/Sound!

The Game restarts after I completed it but I have still all my crafted Weapons, the same Level I have at the End and all learned Skills...

Rating:

85/100

The unlockable special Attacks, Spells and Limits Breaks are a nice Touch to the Game. It is an easy, funny and enjoyable Game that can be hard at the boss Fights. The not so good Part of the Game is that you can spam your strongest Attacks/Spells only to continue after you restored your Mana. It would be different when the "Restore Mana" Spell costs the User some Health...

The Outro shows us that we might see a Sequel with three Warriors who fight new Monsters and who rescue the whole World. Maybe this Game will be bigger and longer than this one.

^i hope this one is better, i capitalizated it now.

(Hope you don't mind I use your order xAy, it was just so neat and orderly)

that is ok, i did the same^^

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 6:20pm

xAyjAy

xAyjAy

4,906 posts

sorry for the double post, but can i post that so in the comments of the game?

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 9:02pm

Gantic

Gantic

11,344 posts

Administrator

Word of warning: Formatting with titled sections doesn't look as good in the game comments (except for when it's on the top five), because there are no spaces in between paragraphs so everything gets smushed together and stretched out.

@R2D21999 Looks good.
@xAyjAy Yes.

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 9:28pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

17,998 posts

Knight

So do I submit it?

Posted Mar 9, '13 at 9:32pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

I think you're good to go, though I could be totally wrong.

Posted Mar 10, '13 at 8:53am

xAyjAy

xAyjAy

4,906 posts

i can bold the titles to separate the words, right?