ForumsForum GamesAn RPG question.

16 3572
Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

I was thinking of making a new RPG. Many of you may have heard, although I doubt it. Back in 2011, I was an active person in the Forum Games. Since then, I left and returned, although mostly to be a lurker, and only playing RPGs that are truly interesting and good. I know what makes an RPG good and how to tell them from bad ones.
Now, for the question;
Would you like to see me host one. A breakdown of how mine will work will be a Mecha RPG focused around D&D style elements for damage and many other game features, while having a large overlying factors such as where you attack, how you attack, and many others. I would be basing it around that there wouldn't be a leveling system or anything, instead focusing on how if you can afford the part, you can buy and use it. Likewise, if you can salvage a usable part, you can attach it.
The robot's parts are split up into arms, legs, chassis, head, and back. Each leg is a separate part, like the arms. Each part has stats that factor into battle and movement.
Battle consists of the player choosing to attack, specifically how they want to and where they choose. There are no skills, rather how you attack is the skill. You could say that you kick the enemy in the chest, before proceeding to spread eagle and trip him, then flipping over while unloading an entire clip of ammo into the enemy's head.

tl;dr Would you want me to host such a game as this?

I am open to suggestions and improvements on the system of the game.

• 16 Replies
Kylelolcat
Kylelolcat
4,813 posts
Nomad

I want to see you host this kind of game, it sounds cool.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

i really suggest Rpol, since you'd get much more out of your game, the players there are usually very experienced with systems

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

I would, but I'm way too lazy to do that.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

im using a 3DS. no copy-pasting. bear with these seemingly random tips seperated by enters:

well its obvious im spikeabc. but actually i am a seasoned-ish DM that knows a thing or two about D&D, and i have some ideas-

no leveling system? i have never seen such a lazy person.
actually, exageration.^^ many RPG hosts are not creating leveling systems. this makes me generally angry. here comes the speech you dont want to hear:

to make a leveling system, you dont plan it out. you do this:
(breif, simple simulation of looting)
DM: you defeated the troll, and you had quite the struggle doing so. your level 5, taking on a seemingly level 15-ish troll. you gain 5000 experience. (rediculous amount)

you see? giving it is easy as pi. the leveling-up systems gives them skills and strengths.

this could seriously help your mech system because major damage and speed upgrades when players level up is a great way to make them stronger. and as mechs, no need to even try to make a level-cap either.

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

Except it makes no sense for them to magically get faster/stronger for beating somebody without out even learning anything from the fight.

Kylelolcat
Kylelolcat
4,813 posts
Nomad

Actually, no leveling makes sense considering the setting...

sonicheroes95
sonicheroes95
13,701 posts
Peasant

This strikes me as interesting. especially if there's a variety of parts you can use.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

i kind of like it, but will it require the same skills needed to play DnD, cause if it will, you'll get between 3-5 players at best, i can do it if you write down the rules and such somewhere i can see

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Well not that I would play the game, since there's a little bit too much going on for me and I usually stay away from those types of RPG's and stick more to adventure/story RPG's.

But I don't think it's a problem if you do it. Just put some dedication into it and it will work for sure.

Also, as most people are saying you probably won't get many players since they will probably need a more experienced edge from DnD or such, so yeah.

Good luck.

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

I wouldn't need more experienced players. I was saying how everything that I will do would be based on the dice. All damage will be, the monsters' stats and health will be.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

I wouldn't need more experienced players. I was saying how everything that I will do would be based on the dice. All damage will be, the monsters' stats and health will be.

would it be the DnD d20 to see if you hit and D# for weapon? that's the kind i'm really most comfortable with
Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

Mostly that, although I may just add in aim to the stats and add that to make it easier.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Oh okay. Then that's even better. I also use dice for my RPG. n.n

Good luck.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

then for combat i am all for it, i know i don't need to ask, but non combat options/non combat missions?

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

Obviously. Otherwise, it would instead just be piles and piles of fighting.

Showing 1-15 of 16